Min Pin Lily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Min Pin Lily

Our 6 y/o min pin Lily was diagnosed a week and a half ago. Reading this thread has been incredibly helpful. We are struggling big time trying to give her injections. She bites and contorts in all kinds of crazy positions. I think our early attempts at injections scared her pretty good. She weighs only 8 lbs, and we don't want to hurt her. We have tried so many different things. Frustration isn't even the right word for what our family is feeling at this point. We try to remain calm when it's time for injection but I know Lily is picking up on our stress.Can anyone offer suggestions on how to put a muzzle on a squirmy, bite-y 8lb dog? I've tried youtube and google and I can't find anything useful. I am so grateful to find this forum, I cannot even tell you! Lily is a loved member of our family, and its heartbreaking seeing her so upset.
    I apologize if I didnt post this in the right place, but I never have used a forum before, and Chino's adventures are totally mirroring our experience.

Re: Min Pin Lily

Hello and welcome,

Min pins sure are a struggle, I, ve heard people wrapping them in a towel, putting them in the kitchen sink so they dont squirm.

Practice , patients, you, ll get it it done.

Where are you injecting?
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

could you try practicing the muzzle at night when you are not giving the shot just so she gets used to it?

My Jenny snapped for a week or so. the shot was hurting her and she was over it. We muzzled her and now we are back to normal. no muzzle needed.

One side of Jenny's body does seem to be more sensitive to the shot than the other. some dogs are like that.

What size syringe are you using? We get the smallest ones. 30 gauge, 3/10 ml and 8 mm length.

Like Mo said, we've had some tough cookie Min Pins on the forum. You are saving her life, you can do this!

Bribes are the definite key with my Jenny. She only gets duck jerky after her shot.

hugs, Judi
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. Do you think your girl is freaking out more due to the muzzle or the shot or both?

Muzzles for a dog not used to one or acclimated to one can be a pretty scary thing to a dog. I have big dogs...rotties and pittys and I grew up with dobes and have also owned gsds. I have NEVER had a dog that actually needed a muzzle BUT knowing how some fear these breeds ect and always that just in case I have always trained any new dog...we rescue and adopt...to accept a muzzle.

I am going to start by saying this. I have and have trained dogs to get used to both a basket muzzle and the plain old nylon muzzles. With a nylon muzzle I always get a size bigger than is actually recommended for the dog. I want my dog to be able to open their muzzle enough to accept a treat if needed. The dog could still not bit but it's not so tight and uncomfortable to the dog.

If you want to continue to work on the muzzle start out acclimating her to it when she is not going to need a shot. First just put it somewhere that she can sniff it. I personally hold the muzzle in one hand and a treat in the other. Dog sniffs muzzle...treat, verbal praise and a little happy dance. Repeat this for 5-10 times the first day. After this the dogs is already equating the muzzle with a treat.

Next day...hold muzzle open so dogs snout can fit into muzzle. Dog is already thinking...yay...muzzle= treat. So you hold the muzzle open with one hand and your other hand has a treat resting in your palm under the opening in the muzzle so your dog has to stick it's nose into the muzzle to get the treat. <<<---Hope this makes sense, if not I can take a picture for you later. When the dog looks for the treat nose goes in muzzle they get treat, pull snout back out and you have the awesome praise and little happy dance to show them this is exactly what you want. At this point you are not trying to get them to wear the muzzle, only get used to their snout being inside the muzzle. Try a day or two of this.

Next step is to snap the muzzle on. So dog knows now nose in muzzle = treat and happy owner. So this time when they put their snout in you hold the treat not letting them have it but where they can see/smell it, clip the muzzle closed, immediately treat and take off muzzle. Praise and happy dance. 5-10 times a day for a day or two. At this point the muzzle is going to be on and fastened no longer maybe 2-3 seconds. This phase takes the longest because you want them to know it's coming off right away while they learn there is nothing to fear from it.

Then a couple days later you do the above step but leave the muzzle on for 5-10 seconds. Treating while the muzzle is on. Muzzle comes off...another treat, praise and happy dance. Keep doing this step till you work up to the desired time you need and the dog knows the muzzle will come off and a treat will ensue.

My dorky rottie boy Lou...it took him about a day to beg to have a muzzle on because he knew he'd get a treat. I never worried about it after that. We were at the vets one day and he saw a muzzle behind the counter and pitched a fit till I tried to put it on him...too small...because he knew muzzle=treat and good things.

Now as mentioned Min Pins can be one sqirmy little breed of dog. I personally think they are cousins of the jack russells You may try just the treat/reward both before and after the shot. Positive reinforcement for the shot. One less thing to get her stressed about.

I know you're probably thinking...but she's diabetic how can I give her all these treats. Well many on here use green beans. I use boiled chicken or rabbit or turkey or steak or homemade liver jerkey...basically any protein source. For my guy it's not enough to change his BG levels at all. With your little peanut a small tip of the finger sized piece will probably not matter. Or there is the green beans.

One other thing I have found...many people tend to baby their dog. Awwwww...I'm so sorry I have to do this. ect ect. Do not baby them but do not act stern either. Just be matter of fact. It has to happen, it's going to happen. I know at times easier said than done but if you are not cooing and molly coddling and just acting like it has to be done and once it's over your little girl gets a treat and a happy dance from you she'll learn this is not a huge deal.

Good luck.

Comment

Oh my goodness thank you ALL! We love Lily so so much and all of her personality, but she sure is a horrible patient.
          When we first tried the muzzle we were all a bit freaked out about the whole situation. The speed at which she can move her little snout around is amazing! I am sure our first attempts just stressed her out so much now she is fearful of our approach altogether. We have a nylon muzzle and the thought of putting my fingers that close to piranha teeth 2x day is not a pleasant one. The actual injection does not seem to bother her. Its getting her ready for it! We are using 31g needles. Our vet is very supportive so far and the techs told us we can inject other places than the scruff so we are doing it back by her hip area, alternating sides. She doesnt have much loose skin there, I am concerned however if she does wriggle away I will inject directly into the muscle. Last night and this morning though she is now on to me and turning every which way while she is eating, smart little girl.
          She loves green beans, or used to before she got pancreatitis a few years ago and has been on science diet w/d ever since. I am going to incorporate the green beans as a treat since I really don't like sneaking up on her while she is eating. We would rather not, of course, use the muzzle at all. I love this forum because I can read about others who have made this a routine momentary part of the day instead of what we are going through now, frustration and uncertainty. The encouragement I see here that we can get through this means everything.

Comment

Hello and welcome ! I have a feisty min pin as well. She was diagnosed almost two years ago. She gave us a really hard time with the shots at first. It took awhile and we used a muzzle at first but she eventually got better. She also struggles with pancreatitis. You have come to the right place! We would never have come this far without all the help from the wonderful people on this forum! Be patient ... It will get better

Comment

Hello!

You can do this! Ruby the MinPin was the same way...contorting, biting, freaking out! It was a very tough time for both of us. It was emotionally exhausting too.

Ruby has had diabetes for over a year and a half now.

After a couple of months it all became easy and routine. At some point, about two or three months after her diagnosis, she just accepted the shot. I didn't think she ever would, but it happened.

She now "reports" for her shot after she eats and it is a non-event.
              She eats, them trots into the kitchen for the shot...then she gets an eye drop and a treat.

Hang in there, MinPins are feisty!
              Steph & Ruby - Red Min Pin, Age 13, Diabetes Diagnosed July 2012, On 4u Caninsulin twice a day, weight 4.5 kilos, struggles with IBD and Pancreatitis occassionally, food Royal Canine Gastro low fat, loves fruits & veggies, hobbies: Perimeter Security, Sleeping in blankets, car rides, walks, hiding and burying beanie babies.

Comment

Working...
              X