Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Piper

Originally posted by Patty View Post
    IMO I wouldn't be comfortable raising the dose without a curve to know when/what the low point is. You could have a 300 or 400 reading during one part of the day and an 86 at another.
    That's what I was thinking too. She's also sooo stressed at that vet's office, and it could definitely have an effect. I talked with the other vet today, and they regularly do curves. I'm much more comfortable with them as well, but right now we can't really afford to make an appointment with them for a curve. I don't think I'm comfortable messing with her dose until we know, especially since they've wanted to go up two units at a time...
    Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Originally posted by ceruleanblue View Post
      That's what I was thinking too. She's also sooo stressed at that vet's office, and it could definitely have an effect. I talked with the other vet today, and they regularly do curves. I'm much more comfortable with them as well, but right now we can't really afford to make an appointment with them for a curve. I don't think I'm comfortable messing with her dose until we know, especially since they've wanted to go up two units at a time...
      Then, I will re-urge home testing for you. Do your own curve and then consult with the vet for dosing changes.
      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I will be feeding her soon, should I increase her dose or not?

I also bought a meter today (ReliOn Ultima), and am learning to use it. So far, we have tested ourselves. We also have another dog, who is much more patient, and he was our first doggy bg test. Luckily, he is not diabetic, but I think he is going to have to endure a few more tests until we have a good routine to use with Piper. I don't think he'll mind, as long as we keep giving him his cheese! lol
        It's great that you've got a non-diabetic "control" pup to run tests with!
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi! Late welcome to you! Just love your 'control dog' situation! Guinea pig for cheese! That's great! Hugs!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Well done for getting going with the testing! You will soon be an expert at it and really good idea to get comfortable on the easy dog first! I tested my non diabetic too at first and his low reading of 3 really scared me, but its normal, so dont worry if control dog is low!
            Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

I'm glad we have a "control dog," but it sure would've been a lot easier if he was the one that was diabetic (I'm glad he's not though)! Dakota is Piper's son, and is much more like his dad was than his mom. Since we've have him since he was born, he's had us messing with him since his first minute, so we can do pretty much anything to him and he doesn't really care as long as we pet him and he gets treats.

I have two questions today...

My first is about treats. We've been using chicken jerky and ham jerky. She likes them, but I don't think she's crazy enough about them for that "OMG, I'll do anything for those!" response. What else can we give her? I made a practice needle and want to work with her more, but she's scared of me coming toward her with that too, and I need something more valuable to help get her out and trusting me more again.

My second question: What gauge lancets do you all use? My meter came with 30G and I think those are too fine. I had to poke Dakota several times to even start to get blood (and I'm not sure we ever got enough for an "accurate" reading). He didn't seem to feel it, but it took a long time, and Piper will not be as patient.

Thank you all so much for your help! I'm so glad that I found this forum and all of the resources you've worked so hard to gather in one place!
              Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I'll answer the lancet question. Guess the answer is "you use what works for your dog". I'm currently using a thick 25 gauge lancet on Annie's ear. 25 gauge might be hard to find, I've had to order them from the Internet. Actually, I doubt there is much difference between the 25, and the more commonly found 26 gauge. I seldom need to double stick, but do frequently need to squeeze around the area to get a droplet to form.
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Because Annie seems to get a BG rise with a small between meal treat, I seldom give her any. She does get a locally made treat the size of my little finger nail after her injection, but I consider that more of a desert than a treat!

The few times I've given her a decent sized piece of jerky her next BG reading will be higher than normal (I think, but these special treats are usually along with something else; such as having friends visiting).

On "curve day" I try to have some broccoli cut into very small pieces, or an ice cube for a diabetic friendly treat.

Of course, every dog Is different and your pup might not react to treats like Annie does with a pop in her BGs.
                  Last edited by CraigM; 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Re: Treats. I highly recommend buying cat treats. My dog adores them, though she can't have them because of allergies. But, they are small enough that I doubt they would have any effect on he bg but stinky enough that she gets very excited when they are brought out. And cheese is good too.

Zoe's treats (the ones she actually eats) are fish and sweet potato little bites. They are limited ingredient and she likes them. But, a single treat is about as big as a piece of kibble. I don't worry it will affect her bg because it's just so small and she only ever gets one at a time.
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I've heard of a 23g lancet, but they might be hard to find. Franklin gets a tiny piece of schmacko (a jerky type treat) about the size of my fingernail. Some liver treats are nothing but dried liver and may not change her bgs much.

When you do start testing, you'll be able to find out which treats are good for Piper. I know it's hard to balance out diabetic friendly treats and something that is high value enough to get the necessary things done. I took to using some diced bacon at shot time, because Franklin wants that more then he doesn't want the needle. You can change the treat to something friendlier after the pup realizes nothing bad is happening and things become easier for you.
                      Maybe tiny bits of hot dog? Don't forget lots and lots of praise and pets
                      Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Cat treats are usually a very high value food for dogs....I know Hank loves them. Also you can use dried cat food and they are even smaller (like Friskies) than the cat treats.

But also try some chicken breast or tuna. Any low fat meat can be used if she likes that. You just have to try different things til you find what works. Think small and lowfat. It isn't the size of the treat...it's getting one that counts.
                        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies. I am reading all of your threads also, I just haven't replied to any yet.

I bought some 26 G lancets and they worked much better when I tested them on Dakota, although I think that I need to use them by themselves, and not in the lancing device. We -almost- got a BG test on Piper yesterday, but the lancet didn't go in far enough (why I think we need to be using them by themselves and not in the device), and there wasn't enough time for a restick.

Franklin's Mum, thanks for the bacon bits suggestion. That seems to be working okay for now... I haven't been able to get to the pet store yet to check out other dog/cat treats, but I can try to go tomorrow, because I also need to buy my own muzzle. I think I'm getting better at the injections. She seems not to be reacting to the shots themselves anymore, just the thought of it, but I'm sure she has to be the most stubborn dog on the planet!

Comment

I never use the clicker, just poke by hand, so that's perfectly fine.

Comment

Re: Piper: Not eating, help?

Our dogs are apparently on some kind of hunger strike. It's been getting harder and harder for me to get them to eat. Last night neither of them ate at all, so Piper didn't get any insulin. It's not looking like they're going to eat this morning either. As of now, she hasn't had any insulin since yesterday morning. Should I give her part of a dose if she doesn't eat again this morning? If so, how much?

I think someone else is going to have to try feeding them, but, even though they say they'll help, my family hasn't been very helpful.

Comment

because I also need to buy my own muzzle.
                                Feeling a little snappy???????
                                Ann and Yuli - Yuli is 11 yrs and was dx Aug 2012. He lives with 1 other Tibetan Terrier aged 14. Yuli is 39 lb and is on 25 iu Caninsulin x 2. Got his sight back June 19 2014.

Comment

Working...
                                X