NPH prescription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPH prescription

Sorry for starting a new thread but since no one answered about my question regarding where I could buy the syringes once I move to Troy, MI, next week, I decided to take a few hundred with me from Europe so I have plenty of time to figure it out once I´m there. The insulin, that´s a different story. I see most of you are using NPH :I use Caninsulin, which is called Vetsulin in the US but would consider changing to NPH, if it´s easier to find.

So my question here, to all of you, not just to those in Michigan....do you need prescription from your vet to purchase it? where do you buy the insulin? are there different types of NPH? sorry about all this, but coming from Europe with a diabetic dog can be anything but easy.

Thanks in advance,
    Sonia
    Check my YouTube channel: Dog Diabetes
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF..._as=subscriber

Re: NPH prescription

In AZ we do not need a prescription for Novolin or Humulin, not sure about MI. Many of the folks on this forum use Novolin and it is available at Walmart for $25.00 for a vial, syringes are also available at walmart and less expensive than other pharmacies, $13 for 100.

You could google and find a walmart pharmacy in Troy and call them if there is no one here from MI
    Miss Mollie, rescue pup, Malti-Poo, 12 years old, 10 pounds, diagnosed on 4/3/2017
    She is eating Hills w/d, kibble 1/4 c green beans, 1 tbsp Pumpkin 2X a day, insulin is Novolin currently at 6 units 2X a day
    Using AlphaTrack2 for home testing

Comment

In Minnesota, you can buy the insulin without a prescription but you need a prescription for more than 10 syringes.

you just go up to the pharmacy counter at Walmart and tell them you need "N" insulin. They will put your dog in their database as a patient. It's kind of funny

If my vet forgot to call my syringe prescription in to walmart, I just started ordering syringes online.

When Jenny died I gave away about 600 syringes. I'd gone overboard lol

I know in Indiana I didn't need a prescription for syringes but no clue about Michigan

good luck with the move, I hope you find a vet you can work with!
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by martorso View Post
        Sorry for starting a new thread but since no one answered about my question regarding where I could buy the syringes once I move to Troy, MI, next week, I decided to take a few hundred with me from Europe so I have plenty of time to figure it out once I´m there. The insulin, that´s a different story. I see most of you are using NPH :I use Caninsulin, which is called Vetsulin in the US but would consider changing to NPH, if it´s easier to find.

So my question here, to all of you, not just to those in Michigan....do you need prescription from your vet to purchase it? where do you buy the insulin? are there different types of NPH? sorry about all this, but coming from Europe with a diabetic dog can be anything but easy.

Thanks in advance,
        Sonia
        There are two major suppliers of NPH: Novolin-N and Humulin-N. I've used both and didn't see a difference between them. Most on the forum use Novolin-N from Walmart because it's $25 for 1000 units in a 10ml bottle. Humulin-N, and Novolin-N outside Walmart, are somewhere in the $125 - $150 range.

As others have said, there are no federal laws concerning NPH and insulin syringe sales. It's up to the individual State, local government, and store policy.

If you switch from Caninsulin (Vetsulin) be aware of the differences in the required syringe. Are you using Caninsulin in the 10ml bottle, or the "Vetpen"? Be aware of the strength difference of Caninsulin and NPH. The Caninsulin is a U-40 insulin, while NPH is a U-100 insulin; NPH is basically 2.5 times more concentrated. In the States, Vetsulin is usually found in the 10ml bottle, and injected with a U-40 syringe (I understand the Vetpen is available, but I've never heard of anyone using it??). NPH is also sold in a 10ml bottle, but requires a U-100 syringe for proper dosing. If a U-40 syringe is accidentally used with NPH, the dog would be OVERDOSED. U-100 syringes are available at any pharmacy, but U-40 syringes are only going to be found at Vet clinics, or online.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

According to this website, you don't need a prescription in Michigan for insulin or syringes.

I don't need one in FL either, so I go to Walmart for Novolin N and U100 syringes.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cani...d-sy-t789.html
          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

NO prescription needed for either in Tennessee. NPH insulin is $24.88 / 10ml and syringes are $12.58 / 100 at Wal-Mart.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Dont know if its been sugested but if you do get NPH insulin and go to walmart you would ask for N insulin under the relion name . That is novolin insulin at a discounted price

You would like to get the 30 unit syringes with half unit marking if your dog is on less than 30 units

You can continue to use vetsulin and its usually readily available at the vet
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

WoW!
                Y´all are awesome!!!!!
                THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All these info is gold to me! I was getting more than anxious just to think of where and how to get all the stuff we need. In Europe we´re free to buy both Caninsulin and syringes, no prescription needed, as they´d assume you´re not going to kill your own dog with insulin he doesn´t need.

I use the 10ml vial, and, in fact, I use the U-100 syringes, because as Craig mentioned I figured out all I had to do is figure out how many ml are 8 units of Vetsulin, and turns out all I had to do was 8*2,5= 20 ml, which is what we give him. The U-40 syringes were more than double the price, and it came to a number after several months....

Thank you all again, really, saved my life I think there´s another post here about switching from Vetsulin to NPH and I´ll look for it, I think it was something like reducing the dose 30% for the firsts shots and see how it worked, not sure though, so I´ll look it up.

I´ll let you know how the moving goes. Now filling all the paperwork, which is plenty.....

Comment

30 % might be a bit much but it is always safer to err on the side of caution. Many dogs end up on about the same dosage.

Are you going to bring insulin with you? I would be concerned about the stress of the move and trying to change soon after. My dogs always were stressed when we moved and my diabetic would have extreme lows so I had to monitor her more than usual until we got more settled. And we just moved across town.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                    30 % might be a bit much but it is always safer to err on the side of caution. Many dogs end up on about the same dosage.

Are you going to bring insulin with you? I would be concerned about the stress of the move and trying to change soon after. My dogs always were stressed when we moved and my diabetic would have extreme lows so I had to monitor her more than usual until we got more settled. And we just moved across town.
                    Yes, I´m bringing 10 vials with me, which should last for good 2 months if I can keep them on the right temperature...

Thank you for all your valuable help!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X