Allergy Meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Allergy Meds

Oh Sandy. How miserable. Let us know how the switch goes to Zyrtec and Advantix.

Rick, I agree. Bill's found quite the savings there! I've never had a Costco close enough to make a membership worth while until here and just haven't signed up. Some of their prices would make it well worth it though.
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by SandyL View Post
      I've come to the conclusion that Tiggy MUST be allergic to her Frontline . She's been doing great with the itching all winter and into our spring with the Chlortabs...... I actually thought they might be the magic bullet I was looking for

Gave Tiggy her frontline at the beginning of the month and within 3 days she started itching and chewing like crazy!! Guess I'm gonna switch over to Zyrtec starting tomorrow and see if that will settle things down somewhat. Next month
      I'll switch to advantix and see if that makes a difference. Poor little girl is sooo pitiful and her skin crawls at the slightest touch . I HATE these allergies!!

Sandy
      Did this happen in past seasons with Frontline or something that just happened now? I ask because I'm trying to figure out Sydney's latest bought of allergies - started a few days after frontline application and has been horrendous. We just finished our 2nd lime/sulfur dip last week and have one more to do this coming week - but then it's the first of the month again and time for frontline. Not quite sure what to do...it could be that she suddenly developed an allergy to that, could be other allergies flaring up, blah blah blah....who knows
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Just a thought....

Might want to consider the source from which you purchased the Frontline.

Online suppliers as well as stores can sometimes get a hold of counterfeit products, they may appear to be the same, but are not.

Might want to be sure the Frontline is purchased thru your vet so that you know it came directly from the manufacturer.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Sandy & Tami: I'm so sorry your dogs are so miserable. Even though the ticks are bad up here this year. Since my dogs are mostly indoors I haven't given them anything.
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Tami.... When I sit back and think, the exact same thing happened last year as well!! she was fine all winter.... No frontline.

I've purchased it at both the vets and at pet club... Same reaction with both

In a couple weeks, we're going with advantix

Sandy

Comment

Question on the allergy meds....the chlor tabs..is that chlortrimaton? And if so...do I need a prescription for it? And what about dosage? Hank's started on his itchies and bleh!
              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Shellie View Post
                Question on the allergy meds....the chlor tabs..is that chlortrimaton? And if so...do I need a prescription for it? And what about dosage? Hank's started on his itchies and bleh!
                Chlor tabs available over the counter in pharmacies.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chlortabs-...amine/14053323

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...o.cfm?id=42556

antihistimine dosage for dog;

http://www.tinapham.com/romeo/antihistamines.pdf

(will have to copy and paste)
                Last edited by eileen; 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Tami.... When I sit back and think, the exact same thing happened last year as well!! she was fine all winter.... No frontline.

I've purchased it at both the vets and at pet club... Same reaction with both

In a couple weeks, we're going with advantix

Sandy
                  Sandy - this month we switch Sydney to Comfortis (flea medicine - not tick). Hope it works....
                  Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Thanks, Eileen...got to get the little itchy booger started. What I wouldnt' give for a non-itchy puppy! Do they even make those? LOL
                    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Shellie View Post
                      Thanks, Eileen...got to get the little itchy booger started. What I wouldnt' give for a non-itchy puppy! Do they even make those? LOL
                      Mildred too had alot of skin issues for a very long time, it wasn't until her vet put her on Pentoxifylinne that she then found relief.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com.../detail/433714

Sure hope you find something soon for Hank.

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                        Mildred too had alot of skin issues for a very long time, it wasn't until her vet put her on Pentoxifylinne that she then found relief.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com.../detail/433714

Sure hope you find something soon for Hank.
                        Eileen, This didn't mess with her BG? If not than I think we'll see about getting some for Tiggy..........although the frontline seems to really be wearing off OR the Zyrtec is really working??

Sandy

Comment

Eileen, This didn't mess with her BG? If not than I think we'll see about getting some for Tiggy..........although the frontline seems to really be wearing off OR the Zyrtec is really working??

Sandy
                          Sandy,

I'm afraid I can't answer that....at the time when Mildred was on this medication was also about the same time as when she was dx with bladder cancer and put on a handful of other meds as well.
                          Between all of that along with a waivering appetite her glucose levels were all over the charts.

It is a medication that can be purchased by prescription thru a pharmacy, I bought Mil's at Walmart...can't remember how much I paid and have her charts packed away but do not recall it being extra expensive.

It's just horrible watching them suffer with the 'itchies', as if contending with the diabetes is not enough.
                          Glad to see the Zyrtec might be your answer...for now anyway.

Comment

Those of you who have used Chlor-tabs, what was the dose for the weight of your dog?

Vet wrote out instructions for half to one 4mg tab twice a day. But Eileen's link posted earlier would have her at 2 1/2 tabs twice a day http://tinapham.com/romeo/antihistamines.pdf
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

This is from the Merck Manual:
                              Chlorpheniramine is a first-generation propylamine-derivative antihistamine. Oral absorption of chlorpheniramine in dogs is rapid and complete, reaching peak plasma concentrations in 30-60 min. Chlorpheniramine maleate undergoes substantial first-pass effect. Chlorpheniramine and its metabolites are primarily excreted in urine. The recommended dose in cats and dogs is 1-2 mg and 2-8 mg respectively, PO, bid-tid. Mild clinical signs such as depression and GI upset have been reported for dosages <1 mg/kg. Significant clinical signs such as ataxia, tremors, depression or hyperactivity, hyperthermia, and seizures may be seen within 6 hr of ingestion of large amounts.
                              http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/214004.htm
                              • Chlorpheniramine is dosed for dogs at 4 to 8 mg (max 0.5 mg/kg) two times per day.
                              http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...ton/page1.aspx

What do the ophthomologists use for those with glaucoma - curious about those like Annie and Ed

Comment

This is from an Aussie site so some names may differ but the dosage for the Chlorpheniramine can vary quite a bit.

http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/antihistamines.htm

Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                X