Dog Food Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Food Discussion

What food do you feed your dog? Treats? And if you make your own I’d love recipes.
    I’ve been feeding mine Fromms beef frittata veg. It’s grain free and my dog has been eating it for awhile. I planned to continue but some allergy tests just came back and turns out she’s allergic to beef so guess I should make a change sooner rather than later.

Re: Dog Food Discussion

Beef is the hardest meat-type food to digest. Dogs that have digestion issues, like my Scooter and his IBD, need to stay clear of beef.

Venison, duck, turkey, chicken are the better choices in such cases.
    Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

This article on the main k9diabetes web site talks about Insulin and Food in a Diabetic Dog... http://www.k9diabetes.com/insulinfood.html

In the Food and Diet section, it mentions that Nowhere is it more important to remember that every dog is different. What works great for your dog can be a disaster for another dog.

I’m currently feeding Lily Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils Recipe. It’s a low fat, moderate protein, moderate fiber diet.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
        This article on the main k9diabetes web site talks about Insulin and Food in a Diabetic Dog... http://www.k9diabetes.com/insulinfood.html

In the Food and Diet section, it mentions that Nowhere is it more important to remember that every dog is different. What works great for your dog can be a disaster for another dog.

I’m currently feeding Lily Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils Recipe. It’s a low fat, moderate protein, moderate fiber diet.
        Thanks for the link! Lots of good ideas and foods to look into in there.

Comment

I have a picky eater so I rotate her morning foods usually between grain free versions of Avoderm, Nature's Recipe, Nutrisca and Purina's Beyond. Her evening meal is always Earthborn's Great Plains Feast.

The Earthborn food is bison meat and the others I usually pick a seafood or fowl version. She is not a big fan of lamb.

I add plain cooked meat to each meal (about 1/2 tablespoon) and a plain meat snack at lunch (1/2 tablespoon). She gets snacks of julienned carrots before supper while I'm cooking.

Reward treats for coming inside (or just living another day) include small bits of Alpo snaps, Sea Mobility Joint Rescue or Probios. If her numbers at supper are on the low side she usually gets a treat right before bed and it seems to keep her more stable.

If she stops at the neighbors house on her walk they give her cheese which usually blows her numbers for the rest of the day, yet she somehow survives.
          Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

I fed my Riliey Fromm's Surf and Turf dry. he was easy to regulate on 1\2 cup . 2 x day

if you want to stay with Fromm try the surf and turf feeding just the mfg.s recommended amount according to Lola's weight.

I.d recommend also brushing her teeth after eating
            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
              I fed my Riliey Fromm's Surf and Turf dry. he was easy to regulate on 1\2 cup . 2 x day

if you want to stay with Fromm try the surf and turf feeding just the mfg.s recommended amount according to Lola's weight.

I.d recommend also brushing her teeth after eating
              I was considering switching from Fromms because almost all of the grain free have potatoes in the first few ingredients. I just wasn’t sure if that was best for a diabetic. But i do like that there’s less stomach upset switching her within Fromms grain free versions. Ive given her surf and turf and salmon tunalini in the past with no transition between varieties. They say it’s fine as long as you stick within their grain free.
              Last edited by Lolo; 02-26-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Has anyone ever fed their dog Instinct brand? I did a search but obviously “instinct” is a word that comes up a lot. My vet’s assistant feeds her diabetic dog this brand. I know there’s no magic recipe that works for all dogs, but it seems to have higher protein and fat than most people use here so I just wondered about it.

Instinct® Original Grain-Free Recipe with Real Rabbit
                High animal protein, grain-free recipe guided by our belief in raw, Instinct Original Grain-Free Recipe with Real Rabbit unlocks your dog’s potential to thrive.
                Farm-raised rabbit is the first ingredient – packed with animal protein for strong, lean muscles
                71% real animal ingredients and nutritious oils; 29% vegetables, fruits and other wholesome ingredients; 0% grain
                Made without - grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meal, artificial colors or preservatives
                Guaranteed levels of live, natural probiotics, natural Omegas and antioxidants for digestive health, healthy skin & coat, and immune health
                The only kibble with the pure, real nutrition of raw on every piece

Analysis
                Crude Protein (min) 36.50 %
                Crude Fat (min) 20.50 %
                Crude Fiber (max) 3.50 %

Comment

Too much fat for my liking.
                  Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Is anyone still doing the Ruby Stewbie recipe? It came up in some older searches but nothing very recent. I’d be willing to do homemade if it would help, but all the carbs and the carrots are throwing me.

Comment

Has anyone's vet told you that you can't feed boiled chicken to your diabetic dog due to high sugar content?

Comment

My vet has given me zero guidance on food. It’s a little frustrating to me because I feel like diet can probably play a big role. I think there has to be a happy medium between a vet that forces you to buy diabetic food and one that gives no real guidance on what to feed. My vet just wants me to feed her something she’ll eat.
                        I’ve been trying different mixins a) just to try to get her to eat all her food on time so I can give her insulin and b) testing to see if anything helps bring her high fasting numbers down. I was adding boiled chicken for a few weeks but read some things saying protein can make them burn through insulin faster. I have no idea if that’s correct and I guess every dog is different. Anyway, now I’m just adding 1 tbs canned pumpkin and some blended green beans trying the added fiber route to see if it can lengthen the time before her insulin runs out.

Comment

Daisy regulated fairly quickly on the Ruby Stewbie but I had to take her off of it because there were too many ingredients (I think the carrots and broccoli didn't help) and she de-regulated 6 months later. Several people have had the same issue and had to take their pups off of it.

Daisy was pretty difficult to get regulated again so I went very simple- chicken breast, chana dal (desi chickpeas) for her carb, green beans and some kibble soaked along with a teaspoon of pumpkin.

I measure everything in grams to make sure she gets the same ingredient amount each meal. At first I had to juggle the carbs and protein to get her correct calorie count, but using limited ingredients it worked out well and was a lot easier to adjust.
                          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
                            Daisy regulated fairly quickly on the Ruby Stewbie but I had to take her off of it because there were too many ingredients (I think the carrots and broccoli didn't help) and she de-regulated 6 months later. Several people have had the same issue and had to take their pups off of it.

Daisy was pretty difficult to get regulated again so I went very simple- chicken breast, chana dal (desi chickpeas) for her carb, green beans and some kibble soaked along with a teaspoon of pumpkin.

I measure everything in grams to make sure she gets the same ingredient amount each meal. At first I had to juggle the carbs and protein to get her correct calorie count, but using limited ingredients it worked out well and was a lot easier to adjust.
                            What kibble were you using? I’m intrigued by the addition of chana dal. That’s also in the ruby stewbie recipe but some people said in comments that it went right through their dog undigested.

Comment

Daisy eats Hills Perfect Weight. It has .45 carbs per gram and 3.65 calories per gram.

I used the chana dal because it was in the Stewbie along with the green beans and chicken, so the transition went well. I rinse and cook the chana dal for 1 hour, covered and stirring occasionally then let it sit until cooled, bag and freeze.

One weird thing that happened, when she was on the Stewbie, the chana dal came out the same way it went in. Now it doesn't and she seems to be digesting it fine.
                              Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Working...
                              X