Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

As a reminder....

We must keep in mind that ALL meter comparisons are dog individual and just because this conversion works for Craig and Annie does not mean that it will be the correct conversion for the next owner and dog.

It is always recommended to do one's own comparisons, better to compare with vet's chemical analyzer than meter to meter.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Just found another comparison in Annie's book:

Confirm = 120
      AT-2 = 177

Divide the 120 by 177 and get a percentage difference of 0.68 (again, close enough for me to round off to 0.7)

So, if I see 120 on the Confirm I'd divide it by 0.7 and log it as 171.
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
        It is always recommended to do one's own comparisons,
        Very true, especially since you have both the AT-2 and Confirm meters. Also, I'd want to do several side-by-side tests in the 100-200 range (or whatever range you are aiming for).
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks. From your comparison, only 6 points difference from AT2 to confirm and it's really good. I will start with 0.7 and also compare with AT 1 meter that I have. I also found the a post about having different conversion for different bg #, for example, ~200:0.66, 200-300: 0.75, 300+: 0.85. Do you change the # of division when bg number goes up as well? If you do, what are the numbers that do you divide with to get close to AT meter?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyside View Post
            Thanks. From your comparison, only 6 points difference from AT2 to confirm and it's really good. I will start with 0.7 and also compare with AT 1 meter that I have. I also found the a post about having different conversion for different bg #, for example, ~200:0.66, 200-300: 0.75, 300+: 0.85. Do you change the # of division when bg number goes up as well? If you do, what are the numbers that do you divide with to get close to AT meter?
            PLEASE understand that until YOU do your own comparisons it could be dangerous to rely on someone else's conversion as some find that they can not use the ReliOn meters because they are too unreliable for their dogs.
            Hoping that is not the case for you but please, over the years I've seen too many situations where an owner has relied on suggested meter differences and with it later found out they were completely out of the ballpark for their dog.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

PLEASE understand that until YOU do your own comparisons it could be dangerous to rely on someone else's conversion as some find that they can not use the ReliOn meters because they are too unreliable for their dogs.
              Hoping that is not the case for you but please, over the years I've seen too many situations where an owner has relied on suggested meter differences and with it later found out they were completely out of the ballpark for their dog.
              Yep, totally agree! Every dog is different, as well as meters / strips are different. It would only take 4-5 side by side tests to get an idea if this conversion number works in your situation.

I use the single conversion number of 0.7. There could easily be a larger difference at super high, or low, readings.

I didn't do the side by side test last night because Annie was pretty high, possibly due to having her drain tubes removed (lipoma surgery last week) and the medications. I'm just about to test her this morning. If she is in a decent range, I'll use both meters.

Comment

Craig, hope you realize that I DO find your side by side comparisons interesting and with all of the work that goes into doing that, and appreciate your sharing.

My warnings are just because I've seen many instances over the years where an owner will take posted comparisons as being formulas 'set in stone' and apply it to their dog with only creating issues that could have been avoided.

Besides...I know how much Annie loves helping with all of these comparisons ;-)

Comment

Craig, hope you realize that I DO find your side by side comparisons interesting and with all of the work that goes into doing that, and appreciate your sharing.

My warnings are just because I've seen many instances over the years where an owner will take posted comparisons as being formulas 'set in stone' and apply it to their dog with only creating issues that could have been avoided.

Besides...I know how much Annie loves helping with all of these comparisons ;-)
                  No problem Eileen. There are way too many variables with this to expect ALL meter comparisons will give the same response. You are right, Annie and I do reconfirm this conversion frequently.

Having said that, here are Annie's side-by-side test results from a few minutes ago. Same drop of blood, about 10 seconds apart:

Confirm = 66
                  AT-2 = 92

Applying my "standard" 0.7 conversion (66 divided by 0.7) gives 94. Close enough to the AT's reading of 92.

Comment

I do understand what your concern is. I wanted to know if there's any chance that I can be able to use human meter because it is much easier for me to use Reli-on than AlphaTrak. All those good references are good to have but yes! it would be important for to use my own finding with Cooky. Thanks again for concern.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                      No problem Eileen. There are way too many variables with this to expect ALL meter comparisons will give the same response. You are right, Annie and I do reconfirm this conversion frequently.

Having said that, here are Annie's side-by-side test results from a few minutes ago. Same drop of blood, about 10 seconds apart:

Confirm = 66
                      AT-2 = 92

Applying my "standard" 0.7 conversion (66 divided by 0.7) gives 94. Close enough to the AT's reading of 92.
                      Thanks Craig for updating Annie's current result. The number still looks great on yours. Wishing for Annie's quick recovery from the surgery.

Comment

There had been a short discussion a month or two ago about forgetting if you gave the shot, returned the insulin to the refrigerator, etc.. This is along those lines!

I got Annie up on the counter along with her testing gear. Told her that she was a "good girl" as I pressed the lancing tool against her ear and "pulled the trigger". No blood. That happens from time-to-time, re-cocked the lancing tool and tried again: NO BLOOD! I nearly always get a droplet on the second try. I told her that she was being "a stinker" and poked for the third time. STILL NO BLOOD!

About then I noticed there wasn't a lancet in the divice / tool.

Comment

Too funny, hope you gave her an extra treat.
                          Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Haha

I did that once sort of...I inserted the lancet without paying attention and there was no needle on the end of the plastic part. Makes you scratch your head wondering what's going on?!
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

OMG Craig, so funny made me choke on my coffee.

Sounds like a "senior moment" to me.

jen x
                              Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Ha! Annie is so good with you.
                                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                                X