Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Diggydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggydog View Post
Part of me feels like I am putting him through things that I shouldn't be. I feel that letting him go might be for the best for him. He looks so sad most of the time. I don't want to prolong things if it's going to make him suffer.
Oh how I wish I could spare just one person the agony of figuring out when is the right time.

I was tortured with Ruby as I had kept her going for so long. I thought maybe it was just a combo that I hadn't thought of yet. I hate when people say "you will know when it is time". I feel that I never know. Natalie helped me to see that it isn't like a bolt of lightning, but more of a "coming to" the knowledge. Then Patty explained that of course we will always doubt our decision in some fashion if only because we love them so much and wish we could wave our magic wand.....

Which in reality we all wave for some amount of time near the end and it works.... for a while. When I think of what Patty did to give Ali more time, me with Ruby and how much time you have had stolen with Alfie.

I believe in animal communication and with some animals have contacted an animal communicator prior to letting them go. Early on I needed to have the extra assurance and permission the process gave me. The last time I used an animal communicator I asked doggie Basil if he wanted to stay with me longer and his answer was "it isn't going to get any better". The night before had been horrible with three seizures and him restless I between. I let him go later that day after some special time together.

Now I do two things; pray to be open to the answers that are there for me, and I speak to the animal directly and tell them it is okay for them to go.

Is his sadness a reflection of pain? Possibly some pain management would help, sort of buy him some more time as a hospice type of situation?

I know when Ruby's body was breaking down she was having terrible drops in numbers. It can be so hard on the caregiver who has striven to keep these numbers in a good range. Be gentle on yourself and make him as comfortable as possible.

I know Alfie is in wonderfully capable hands and you will make the best decision from the love that you feel for him.

Tara
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Tara, you always know what to say. Advice we can all use....

sniffles...

Tami
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Part of me feels like I am putting him through things that I shouldn't be. I feel that letting him go might be for the best for him. He looks so sad most of the time. I don't want to prolong things if it's going to make him suffer.
Allison~~
I think we all feel this way when we know the time to let go is close. It's so hard to say "this is the time", I think it's just that we love them so much...and they hide it so well.

I do believe that intuitively we do know when it's time, it's just hard to listen to our pups and that inner voice of ours. I know there have been times (too many) in my life with past pups, that I can look back and say "I should have gone sooner" or "I should have noticed that sooner" It's just so hard to notice when we're in the thick of it. I do believe they talk to us if we're open to hearing.

I also know the pain of taking our pups in and the vet seeing something incredibly different. Even when we took our old boy Bo in for his last visit, he was still excited to be there and see everyone. My husband even told me that Bo wasn't ready, but deep down I knew he was. It is hard to let go when you see moments like that.

My thoughts are with you and Alfie. I'll pray for you both as you go through this time together. I hope you find some quality time together and you are able to enjoy it rather than being so worried.

(((Hugs))) to you and scratches to Alfie,
Mel
Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Allison,

Perhaps I had it easy with Abby. She did make it easy for me, but even so, I think I should have made that decision at least one day earlier.

I read somewhere when I was combing all types of articles as to know when you should make the decision, and how do you know. A vet stated she would much rather be one day too early than one day too late. I kept that in mind, and even so, I think I was one day too late. With hindsight Abby was not doing well, but they DO mask it so well, it is hard to read sometimes.

You will know, you may not realize, but you will know deep in your heart when it is time, and know that we are all here for you... no matter what.

Hugs,
Barb
Old 02-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for checking in Bill!

Vet visit was ok. Alfie wagged his tail the whole time and was in good spirits so obviously my vet wasn't concerned.
Today Alfie has had 5 hypos despite only having 2 units insulin this morning once I got his big up to 400+ ......he usually has 9 units. I have given him enough sugar to sink a ship plus some white bread and 4x his normal food throughout the day and I am still struggling to keep him above about 70 just now.
I tried to explain to the vet on Friday that he was happy cos he loved being there but at home he has lost interest in most things. They only c a snapshot in how he is and said he seemed fine. In my heart I know it's not the case and today is very much proving it. I just given him yet another 4 tablespoons of syrup and 60gs food. If he is still below 90 in the next hour we r going to the emergency vet.
Awe,
Bless your heart Allison. I do remember those crazy high/lows that nothing would fix. Sometimes I think it's the body's response to whatever disease process they are fighting. Sometimes the insulin really hangs on and other times seems to be used up very quickly or not get absorbed well. My mom (medical educator) would cringe at that description but it fits well.

As far as knowing when it is time, well no one really knows that for sure. There's a lot of great insight that's been given. I tend to feel as Barb does and will say you will know deep in your heart.

Wishing you both well,
Patty
Old 02-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Administrator

I've only been able to make quick stops at the forum and didn't get a chance to read this when you first posted it Allison.

Was just looking at your signature, here Alfie has had diabetes almost six years and was diagnosed with cancer over a year ago... you are a long way down the one-day-at-a-time road.

Your heart will tell you - I suspect it can be difficult in a life as busy as yours to take time and listen to your heart and to what Alfie's eyes and body language are telling you, but that's usually where the answer lies.

There is some truth, I think, to the idea that Alfie isn't necessarily done if he can still muster enthusiasm for the vet. It's more a question, then, of how much effort that takes and how often something interests him enough to do it.

Thinking of you both,

Natalie
Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM

Thanks Natalie.

I think Alfie has a mild pancreatitis. Going to do bloods to confirm but it's likely to be what's causing all his problems just now. He has been vomiting off and on the last few days and it's all very consistent with how how was the last time he had it. Not sure why I didn't c it before to be honest as it's almost exactly the same. Even his vomit looks the same if u know what I mean.
We will c what the next few days bring for us and take it from there.

On another note I have made the heartbreaking decision not too keep any of Phoebe's pups. I have more than enough with Alfie and the rest of my lot plus another foster baby on her way.
I have amazing homes for all 3 of them so that's great but it's going to be so difficult when the go. I only have 10 days left with the little hooligan love bugs and I will miss them more than words can describe but my time will be better spent with Alfie and the girls. He is having a hard time with them as he is now totally blind and it's just not fair to put him through it
Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I have amazing homes for all 3 of them so that's great but it's going to be so difficult when the go. I only have 10 days left with the little hooligan love bugs and I will miss them more than words can describe but my time will be better spent with Alfie and the girls. He is having a hard time with them as he is now totally blind and it's just not fair to put him through it
You're a saint, Allison. Give The Alf a rub from me!
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
You're a saint, Allison. Give The Alf a rub from me!
DITTO! You are truly a saint, Allison. And do give Alfie a rub from me as well.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Arrow Re: Diggydog

Thinking of you, Allison and Alfie, and wishing you all the best. <3