Scruff the Schnauzer, Rest in Peace 10/31/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scruff the Schnauzer

Some give 1/4 of the insulin to handle the basal needs. But, not knowing the level, you are ok to skip it. He will probably run higher than normal later of course. Hopefully, Mr. Scruff will not make this a habit.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

for most our pups a quarter of the normal dose without food is ok but since being so new to this and a very active dog without home testing i would not give any insulin if no food is consumed . your not sure if the dose your giving now is to much to little or on the rare occasion just wright

when you reach a time your dog is close to regulation since he is so active it may not be appropriate to have tight regulation ( close to normal blood sugar )
      because he is so active . dogs do not need perfect blood sugar and can be higher . just to give some perspective a dog can do very well with blood sugar from 150 to 250 and have a healthy life
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I apologize if this is stating the obvious but just learning the testing and having the supplies would be helpful at times like this. You wouldn't have to test as often as some of us do, but it can addictive. There are many times that come along where knowing the level is important. For example, if you try to deviate from the schedule due to an event you are attending, it is easier to work around. He should be fine without especially if he acts like he feels good. It is much scarier when they don't eat and are acting sick.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Well, oddly, after a rest on his pad, he did eat and drink ......albeit, about two hours past schedule.

So, considering his morning meal was about two hours beyond the normal schedule, I only gave him 5 units vs the 6 units. That should be adequate to keep him on schedule for his evening meal.

Yes, home meter is on order with supplies!
          Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

Two hours shouldn't be a huge deal - they always say an hour but I have gone two hours earlier and later with no big problem. You might delay his night meal an hour to compensate. The good thing is you guys are on top of him and can be there if anything seems odd. The schedule is important but these guys sometimes have their own ideas so we just have to roll with it.

I think you guys are doing a great job with him - you are really in tune with him already which makes diabetes management that much easier.

Comment

Bit of an update:

Scruff is doing quite well. He's adjusted to the strict meal schedule and loves the frozen green beans for a snack. Although he has a hardy appetite and could/would eat more, cutting back the dog bone treats and substituting them with the frozen green beans has resulted in him losing a bit of weight.

We have continued his exercise schedule with no changes. He's very active and likes to play with his toys numerous times per day.

It looks as if about 4.5 to 5 units twice per day is keeping the Glucose Level fairly stable. The Vet started him on 6 units twice per day. He doesn't mind the injections ......... actually wants to smell of the needle after the injection.... doesn't seem to mind the lancet either. He's never shown a reading over 250 nor below 100..... still learning though.

He no longer has accidents and is not drinking loads of water..........
              Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

Yay! Sounds like things are going well :-)
                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Always like good reports!
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

good news . its a new reality and something that all can live with

jesses dose ended up smaller than her starting dose
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Good for you and Scruff. I wish Pojo's numbers were similar.
                      12.5 yr Husky mix - Caninsulin 40I.U/ml - 15.5 units twice daily - 2 cups Medical Royalcanin Diabetic twice daily plus chicken supplement

Comment

Although he has always been bonded to me, seems he hangs closer now than ever before ...... maybe it's the added attention!

Any time he sees me put on my shoes, grab a coat or hears the jingle of my car keys, he's ready to go! He knows a hike or a trip into town is about to be made.

And, he still does his self-hikes each morning for about 30 minutes to an hour. We live on a very low traffic rural road that dead-ends about two miles past our drive. So, vehicles is not an issue for him...

Comment

always carry some kind of liquid sugar with you like karo honey syrup those kind of things never leave home without it

its always best to be prepared

Comment

I feed him around 7:00 am and 5:30 to 6:00 pm, with injections about 15 to 30 minutes after each meal.

When would a sudden drop in Glucose Level most likely be expected?

As for a trail hike, we do them in the afternoon on weekends. So, he's generally into that morning meal 5 to 6 hours by the time we begin a hike. Could a drop in glucose be likely that long after a meal and insulin injection?

And, yes, we do keep honey in the vehicles in case it is needed. Seems someone noted that I need to be prepared for an episode of low to extreme low blood glucose incident should it arise.

Comment

Great report! One concern - If Scruff continues to lose weight, you might want to consult the vet or make the decision to increase his calories. Of course, you will have to most likely up his insulin as well. I don't know if it is an immediate worry, just something to watch out for. Since you guys are so active, you want to make sure he is getting enough food to maintain his weight.

Sudden drop would most likely occur during or after exercise.

Comment

We had a very active weekend. Saturday, February 7, 2015, we did a 4.5 mile hike and today, Sunday, we did a 3 mile hike.

Considering how dogs go out and come back as the hike progresses, I suspect Scuff hiked 8 to 10 miles total.

Scruff seemed to do just fine... plenty of energy! I took along some sting cheese and frozen (thawed) cut green beans for his snacks!

His appetite has stayed about the same. However, it seems his morning meal needs to be a little smaller, as he has not been eating it all. The evening meal is all consumed.

Unless you read the first posts to this Thread, we've always taken Scruff with us on weekend hikes! So, we hope to continue the routine until the obvious hits us in the face.

He does get considerable exercise everyday...

Comment

Working...
                                X