Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Quote:
...using control solution should be within the 111-205 range
Wow that seems like a large control range.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Wow that seems like a large control range.
Yea, that's what I thought too. The range for the FreeStyle Lite strips is 76-114.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Guess I could give her 5-6 treats to bump up the BGs for awhile? No, think I'll just wait for a naturally occurring high LOL

Craig
Sorry Jesse Girl, Annie didn't get very high for the evening test

AlphaTrak2 with AlphaTrak2 test strip = 160
AlphaTrak2 with FreeStyle Lite strip (coded 35, like the AT2) = 161

I tried to use the FreeStyle Freedom Lite meter, changing the code to 35, but it seems that this can't be done! A difference between these meters is that the FreeStyle Freedom Lite is a "no code" meter. It must read the code from the bar code on the end of the strip. When you insert a test strip, there is no indication on the display what the code is, and the "M" and "C" buttons don't seem to adjust the code. Too bad.

Craig
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Founding Member

i still think thats real good at the mid range

you may have something here craig

keep it quiet if abbout finds out they will change things up again

it does makes sense to keep some things the same for manufacturing purposes .

there loss maybe a gain for alpha track 2 users but i guess it still depends on costs of strips . that would not be so good if the strip for the alpha track was the same as the freestyle but selling at a higher price .
Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 AM

Did you try the FSL strips at code 7 with blood? I'd be interested in how much of a difference there is. My current batch of AT strips is code 5, but all my previous boxes were 35.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 AM

Hmm, I have been using the AlphaTrak2 exclusively.... and just bought 4 boxes, as ADW had a 12% discount during Memorial Day. I think I will be needing to purchase the FreeStyle Lite for the future.

I'll let you know what my testing proves to be when I purchase them. I sure can use the savings.

You and Annie are invaluable!!

Barb
Old 05-31-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleanblue View Post
Did you try the FSL strips at code 7 with blood? I'd be interested in how much of a difference there is. My current batch of AT strips is code 5, but all my previous boxes were 35.
I tried the FreeStyle Lite strips with control solution at both 35 and 7. The readings were just about identical:
code 35 = 171
code 7 = 170

I was wondering if ALL full boxes of AlphaTrak2 strips were code 35. I remember the vial of test strips that came packaged with the meter were code 5. This could be a problem, but I'd just run 2-3 side-by-side tests whenever I opened a new vial.

I found the data sheet packed with the FreeStyle strips interesting. It talked about accuracy between finger, palm and upper arm testing at different blood glucose levels. Finger prick was within +/- 10% of lab value 100% of the time, but palm prick was within +/- 10% of lab value only 60% of the time. I know we test our pups in many different locations, I wonder about the accuracy in all these alternate locations? (NO, I'm not going to test Annie all over her body) There were also charts that discussed "within lot" and "within vial" precision, but my memory of Statistics has faded over the past 45 years.

This mornings comparison wasn't quite as close as yesterdays, but still "close enough". AlphaTrak2 meter set to 35 for both the AT2 strip and FSL strip:
AT2 strip = 75
FSL strip = 84
The test using the AT2 strip was from a nice little "ball" of blood on Annie's ear. The FSL strip test was about 10 seconds later, but the blood had smeared (no longer a ball), wonder if there could be minute contamination of this sample?

I think I'm down to just 2-3 FSL strips in the sample vial. I'll try to test Annie's blood (opposed to control solution) later at code 35 and code 7.

Testing is fun!

Craig

Last edited by CraigM; 05-31-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Founding Member

yes craig so many factors . i have seen blood amounts have large affects on readings . its not a perfect science because so many things can influence the numbers .

my concern is at those higher levels 300 and higher getting over 400 i wonder if any are that accurate at those levels from what i see on the forum
Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 AM

I too have found that a nice perfect small amount of blood "seems" to give me a more accurate reading and big amounts of blood are less accurate. Whenever I get a reading that seems "odd" to me I get another strip and test again. I have had a reading of 280 lets say and 10 seconds later get a reading of 140???

I always test on the callus elbow but I alternate between left and right paw. I am at the point now that IF I get one odd reading or even two I don't make any adjustments to insulin, food or snacks. Now, the only way I change routine is if I get 2 or more days of odd readings. For us a smaller drop of blood = a more accurate reading.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I was wondering if ALL full boxes of AlphaTrak2 strips were code 35. I remember the vial of test strips that came packaged with the meter were code 5. This could be a problem, but I'd just run 2-3 side-by-side tests whenever I opened a new vial.

Craig
Craig,

I have found a mix bag of FULL vials, that are either 5 or 35. So they are mixed. My test strips where 5, but I have had full vials of 5 as well.

Barb