Abby's Story - 12.24.1999 to 12.31.2013 - Forever in our hearts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Abby's Story - 12.24.1999 to 12.31.2013 - Forever in our hearts

Jj....lol, yes she did. Would not fetch anymore than 2 x. What is the point, if you are going to keep throwing it. She lived life on her terms, and we were lucky she picked us for her home.

Thank you everyone. I suppose the first year is the hardest, everything is a first without them. I do remember the happy times, but more than ever I remember the sweetness that comes with age.

Happy New Year.
    Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Just catching up Barb as we've been traveling...
      I love the quote. So hard to believe it's been a year. Time marches on so quickly sometimes. Abby was a very special girl, indeed!
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I am not sure this time of year will ever go by when i would feel what I felt two years ago. The agony of when you know the end of time is near, but do not truly want to accept it. You want to hold on until the last possible moment, because losing them is unbearable. All the pain and sorrow of the loss.

It will be two years that we lost our Abby, and now that the sorrow is less, I carry with me less sorrow, and more the joy that she gave to our lives. She made me realize to savior everyday...life is way too short, especially for our pups. Enjoy the moment, live for the day.

She also made me realize that a dog fills something in my life, that I can not live without. She also made me to be much more of an advocate for those that do not have voices, only barks.

I will always carry her with the most special memories. I know that where she is, she is catching many rabbits, finally caught that elusive squirrel, will not walk in cul de sacs, and have all the folks know where her treats are kept.
        Last edited by Abby's Mom; 12-31-2015, 11:25 PM.

Comment

She was a very special girl. I can't believe it's been 2 years either. I love that all of your neighbors loved her so much too.

hugs, Judi
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Barb,
            Love, love love your words! Abby was a special girl and your vision of her is so positive and beautiful. Missing her too. Hugs to you on this day that is more difficult than the others.
            Holli
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Two years of missing what your heart wants most. Abby was a special girl and will always be with you

Bonnie and Angel Crispy Ann
              Last edited by bgdavis; 12-31-2015, 09:32 AM. Reason: Sorry. Entered from phone and itchanged name.

Comment

Barb,
                It doesnt seem like its been that long.what a special girl Abby was.hope the good memories prevail.
                It seems we have lost so many lately...

Hope your new years is great and renewing...
                Sissy and i send hugs
                Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Happy New Year everyone, and thank you for your kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                    I know that where she is, she is catching many rabbits, finally caught that elusive squirrel, will not walk in cul de sacs, and have all the folks know where her treats are kept.
                    And that she knows where all the bird feeders are and forages underneath them regularly!

I love that she "taught you what a dog brings to your life" and also that it is something you don't want to live without. I am always so saddened when such good homes decide to not get another dog because the pain of losing them is too great.

It is 2 yrs. also since we lost our Maggie. Prior to that I hadn't become quite cavelier about losing animals but through the process of taking in older, pre-owned dogs (pre-owned as in their souls and hearts had been given to their first love so our bond was different) I thought the process of greiving for me had mellowed and become more philosophical. Losing Maggie was a very humbling experience. She had a huge presence in my life and although she wasn't a cuddler gave me much comfort....and her sense of humor.....love that girl!

It is such a gift when the sadness starts to wane and the fun memories return.

So glad that your caregiving of Abby brought you into my life and to k9d, as you both helped make the lives of other diabetic "couples" better.

Tara
                    Tara in honor of Ruby.
                    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
                      And that she knows where all the bird feeders are and forages underneath them regularly!

I love that she "taught you what a dog brings to your life" and also that it is something you don't want to live without. I am always so saddened when such good homes decide to not get another dog because the pain of losing them is too great.

It is 2 yrs. also since we lost our Maggie. Prior to that I hadn't become quite cavelier about losing animals but through the process of taking in older, pre-owned dogs (pre-owned as in their souls and hearts had been given to their first love so our bond was different) I thought the process of greiving for me had mellowed and become more philosophical. Losing Maggie was a very humbling experience. She had a huge presence in my life and although she wasn't a cuddler gave me much comfort....and her sense of humor.....love that girl!

It is such a gift when the sadness starts to wane and the fun memories return.

So glad that your caregiving of Abby brought you into my life and to k9d, as you both helped make the lives of other diabetic "couples" better.

Tara
                      very true tara

happy new year to you barb and all the diabetic pups present and past
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Happy New Year to you, Barb. It's apparent to all just how special your relationship and time with Abby was.
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I still remember how shocked I was about Abby's passing. I can't believe it has been two years. I am glad that the pain of the memories has faded and you can now see the joy.

I am also so glad you have continued to post and help others with your insight. That is a tremendous legacy for Abby as well that your experience with her continues to help others.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Barb,
                            I am late to this but echo your sentiments. The pain has lessened but our hearts remain full and more acutely aware of all we take for granted. Each moment is a blessing...our health, our abilities, life can change in an instant.
                            Our pups teach us so much. Remembering Abby and Wishing you, Ron and Duncan and Happy New Year,
                            Patty
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

As I sit with Duncan at my feet, did I tell you that he so attached to me, I think of my Abby and my special relationship I had with her.

My first dog, really, that taught me so much...how to be a good pet care giver, how to know that you go that extra mile to give more time with those that are close, also to show that life can be short and live it to its fullest.

I miss my Abby girl, I love my Duncan in a different way...both have that special place in my heart.

It has only been 3 years, in some ways seem so long ago, and at times only yesterday.

Our wedding anniversary, that will always be a memory of our sweet Abby.

Comment

Beautiful sentiment Barb. Remembering your Abby and sending you much love! Give Duncan a hug for us.
                                Patty

Comment

Working...
                                X