Rusty's Journey Sugarversary March 10!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walking

Welcome to the forum! Tell us more about Rusty. How old is he? How much does he weigh? What insulin does he take and how much? What is he eating?

We can help you better understand things or give moral support when you need it. We have all been at that point - this diagnosis can be overwhelming.

I can change the name of this thread to "Rusty's Journey" or whatever you want it to be. Then, you can post all your comments, questions, concerns and triumphs in his own special place to tell his story. Just let me know what you want it to be called.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Re: Walking

Rusty is 5 years old and he weighs 35 lbs and is on Humilin N 7units 2x a day and we have a doctor appointment on Tuesday and the doc is going to put him on Hill's Science Diet w/d.
      Rusty's Journey is perfect. Thank you for thinking of it.
      Today is a real good day for him he is full of energy and i am a bit more relaxed.
      Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

Re: Rusty's Journey

If you live near WalMart, you can get Novolin N from WalMart for $24. It is the same type of insulin as Humulin N, just a different brand name. I have used both brands and there hasn't been a huge difference in the two choices. I prefer Novolin N because the duration seems to be longer.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Doctor appointment tomorrow hoping all goes well...it's been a pretty good week so far even with the injections. Wish us luck
          Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Good luck with the doc appointment. Will be looking forward to hearing what happened.
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Doc says Rusty is looking good,however she raised his insulin from 7 units to 8 units due to the nadir being in the 400's I have to be honest with you I am really confused about the nadir and the curves...I think I am so exhausted that my brain just isn't functioning correctly when they explain this stuff to me. Is there an easy way to make me understand this? if so please explain it to me if you can. His next appointment for the same thing is April 11th.

Comment

sending you a hug, I know the feelings you are going thru, my gal was just diagnosed and I ran into an issue with giving the shots also, so I got the "Inject Ease" to help with this, and I have not had a problem since using this to give the shots

Comment

here is a link to an article Craig had posted on one of the other pages in the forum: http://www.adwdiabetes.com/articles/...glucose-curves

I think, in english, you look at a dog's insulin readings for a day or a 12 hour period, testing blood glucose every 2 hours. (this is what they call a curve)

the nadir is the lowest reading of that 12 hour curve period.

That is the most important because dogs can have seizures and/or die if their blood sugar gets too low. So no matter how high a reading is, the vets adjust the insulin dose based on the lowest reading in the curve.

Every dogs pattern is a little different. Some are shaped like a bowl where they start out higher after eating, dip down 6 hours later, and start rising before the next meal/shot.

Other dog's have curves with trends like a mountain. Where the lowest reading of the 12 hours is at the very end, right before the next meal/shot.

That is why any change in diet/insulin has to go by a curve and be measured by a curve.

The important thing is to find out what Rusty's patterns are.

hang in there. It gets easier
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you so much for the link and the explanation. The only thing that I heard today from the doc is the increase in insulin and that always makes me panic when they do that because I don't know what to expect thru the night which means I don't sleep and find myself just watching him all night long(tonight being one of those nights without a doubt).
                      I'm trying my best to hang in there and pray it gets easier like everyone says.

Comment

Rusty was perfect yesterday and acting like himself even with the increase of insulin to 8 units however, now this morning he is seems to be tired but alert. Called the doc and she said to give him the 8 units and she will call tonight to check if maybe we should do 71/2 units.
                        He ate this morning,drank water, went for his morning walk and now he is sleeping.
                        Should I just let him sleep and keep an eye on him?
                        I am in a complete panic and in tears right now.

Comment

Are you home testing? If not, can you bring Rusty over to the vet for a quick glucose check?
                          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Hello - Ive just read all about Rusty's journey, and I can totally identify with your worries and anxieties. It's all so strange and new - but honestly, it does get easier.

Clyde has neve been a problem with his injections - he gets a one-calorie treat afterwards and now he goes into the kitchen at injection time - looking for his treat. In fact when we also had his brother (another Rusty) he used to go to the kitchen for the treat as well, and at the moment we're looking after Midge, our son's dog while he (son) recuperates from surgery, and in one week Midge has worked out when to go to the kitchen for treats. It's a powerful reward.

If he's sleeping normally I think he's ok. I'd only worry if he was lying in a strange (for him) way, breathing heavily, panting, shallow breathing or very restless. But there a much more experienced people on here who can give better advice. I do know that you need to get your sleep as well. Are you worried about him having a hypo? If you've tested him before bedtime and he's ok, trust the numbers and try to relax - he needs you, and you need to sleep.

You're doing really well in this strange new land - Rusty's a lucky boy.
                            Clyde: born 21 Feb 2001, dx Dec 2013. Caninsulin 2 x 5u, Prednidale, Pred Forte eye drops. Weight 4.75kg

Comment

Do you check Rusty's blood sugar at home? If not, it would help to ease your mind about making changes and be much safer. You can actually grab a meter - even a human meter - and it will help.

Comment

Rusty slept most of the day today and I was quite worried but he woke up alert as ever waiting for dinner and ate without any problem...injection was a little tough but he got it.
                                He played around a bit and now he is laying down next to me just relaxing.
                                Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day for both him and I.

Comment

Working...
                                X