Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried using the FREESTYLE LIBRE SYSTEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried using the FREESTYLE LIBRE SYSTEM?

Shall I assume that no one has used the Freestyle Libre system? I just ordered it and was looking for tips or experiences others have or have had with it.
    Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Re: Has anyone tried using the FREESTYLE LIBRE SYSTEM?

I have not but it does sound quite interesting

It appears you can get more information getting a sugar test at anytime without pricking

hope it helps to improves suzies regulation . Let us know what you think on using it
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I will...I have read only good things about the system and it's not more expensive than what I am paying for strips, especially since I am still comparing different strip results. My concern: I cannot find addressed is that Suzie has a lot of very loose skin on her neck (since eating R.S. she's back to her ideal weight) where the sensor would be applied. Would the catheter be dislodged easier? However, a lot of "cat" people are using it quite successfully...and I would think that cat skin is quite loose and because of their physical flexibility, they could maneuver the sensor off much easier than a dog. Oh well, we'll see.Thanks for reading.
      Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.

Comment

I am waiting for my vet to get me a price but I just found out about this too. I googled some you tube videos from vets and it seems painless and worth it.

My only concern is the large area that has to be shaved and the price at the urgent care vet.

I did read that you should not do it yourself, but most pharmacies have the sensors and readers for about $125. With a prescription.
        15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

Originally posted by bichons9 View Post
          Shall I assume that no one has used the Freestyle Libre system? I just ordered it and was looking for tips or experiences others have or have had with it.
          I have used it as a human (I am a Type 1 diabetic), but not with a dog, this is true for humans and I would think dogs as well. CGMs like the Libre measures the glucose level in the interstitial fluid in the subcutaneous fat so try and avoid putting it on areas without fat.

You can sometimes get compression lows with sensors which a false low reading if the sensor is compressed, for example laid on hard. I think it happens because flow of the interstitial fluid gets reduced by the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by tribbles View Post
            I have used it as a human (I am a Type 1 diabetic), but not with a dog, this is true for humans and I would think dogs as well. CGMs like the Libre measures the glucose level in the interstitial fluid in the subcutaneous fat so try and avoid putting it on areas without fat.

You can sometimes get compression lows with sensors which a false low reading if the sensor is compressed, for example laid on hard. I think it happens because flow of the interstitial fluid gets reduced by the pressure.
            All tips appreciated..THANK YOU!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X