Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Lanomax-does it really work?

That is great. Do you consider eye supplements as well?
Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleng8304 View Post
That is great. Do you consider eye supplements as well?
I have not done any supplements . The only thing that maybe different is she is on a homemade diet and she has very moist eyes as many hound dogs do
Old 07-27-2018, 05:59 AM

There are certain substances that research has shown are good for eye health. Most of those substances can be found in certain foods.
I add to my dog's food: wild blueberries, a little sweet potato or pumpkin, a pureed mixture of cooked green beans/spinach.
I don't add all of those every meal, usually 2 of them for a week, then switch it up the next week, etc.

Blueberries are considered a superfood with lots of antioxidants, sweet potato and pumpkin have lots of beta carotene, and green beans/spinach have lots of lutein. All good for the eyes.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:49 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: What's going on?

Their needs can drop dramatically when you get the Cushings under control. I think you will know more when you have the test done.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 AM
Founding Member

when my cushings dog got her cortisol under control, her dose of novolin went from 7 units twice a day to 3.5 - 4 units twice a day. totally possible and good you caught it!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:54 AM

I understand. My Lucy (have several dogs) a 14 yro Lhasa poo, the love of my life, lived with Cushings for 5 years at a small dose of 5 mg of Trilostane. Unfortunately, at 2 am on 2/6 she had a massive brain hemorrhage and hung on for additional 6hrs. Like you, I miss her every day. Thanks. My Multi-poo is 14 1/2 yrs old, does not have Cushings but I give him 1/2 baby aspirin every three days to offset plaque that could clot.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Diabetes Now Hypoglycemia-Help

My oldest dog is about 13 (rescue-birth date not accurate) and is diabetic. I give him insulin , 4 1/2 units twice daily. He has been stable for 3 years. On Friday , 7/31, 8 hours after his normal insulin dose he became lethargic, threw up twice and had myoclonic jerks. He was Hypoglycemic. His blood sugar was 32, heart rate 88 but his organs were NOT shutting down. I gave him some Karo Syrup so his sugar would come up and of course took him to my wonderful friends at Greenwood Vet Hospital that helped save his live. . If I just thought that my little buddy just had an upset stomach yesterday and I ignored it- he would have died. When we left the hospital -his labs were normal and his blood sugar came up to 55. Saturday , 8/1- blood sugar is 52 and no clinical signs of hypoglycemia.

He has not had any insulin since friday , and now time to take blood again for another reading.

I do not know what is going on- no more clinical signs but blood sugar in the 50's. That will catch up with him soon. I thought he may have a tumor on the liver or pancreas or even Addison's disease Any thought- insulin needed for 3 years and none needed. Make no sense. Thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Diabetes Now Hypoglycemia-Help

glad to here your dogs back home.
please tell us more
his weight?
food and how much?
what type of insulin?
please post his bg readings.

karo on the gums followed by abit of food should bring his bg back up.

i.d suggest more indepth blood work up if his blood sugar doesnt come up over 100

your doing great
Old 08-04-2020, 05:11 PM

Hard to guess what is going on with just one number. You say his sugar was 52, when was that; morning fasting? midday? nadir time?

Knowing his 12 hour sugar pattern might help us theorize what is going on.
And the questions Riley Mo asked would also help.

Not likely his body is making insulin all of a sudden, so let's look at all the factors related to his daily routine. Lots of smart people here to help notice something that might be causing this new anomaly.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:37 AM
Founding Member

I guess you could say your dog is not producing sugar to work with the amount of injected insulin you are giving . An upset belly points to something going on with digestion and that can affect sugar production . Not sure if your testing blood sugar at home and if not that should be a priority