Jesse girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jesse girl

Congratulations on reaching your two-year anniversary. May you and Jesse have many more!

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Roehm View Post
      See this really makes no since. This is when she started changing. going up during the day instead of down. with about the same fasting numbers just 1/2 unit less of Levemir.

3/23

5:30 160 4 units Levemir
      8:30 107
      2:00 57

change to 3 1/2
      Next day.
      5:30 168
      9:30 253

I know what you are saying If we start in th 300's we will come down, if we start in the 100's we will go up. but those numbers i can't explain.

yes your wright total opposite direction but you did give a half unit less of livermir thats like giving jesse 2 units less of nph and for her that would be a difference between night and day

for maggie that maybe a middle ground or a border on whether the body will respond or not maggie body is trying to figure this out and really what you are doing with the routine is new for her you have not been doing it for very long and it may take some time to settle thats why i use craigs annie as a good example how the body adapts but its not always perfect many things can factor in and change the outcome thats why we test.

diabeties is not static ever changing with age weather illness stress medication activity the list goes on and we must adapt to it thats the dilemma about testing we see those changes more often than people who do not test as much i take a more proactive response to jesse diabetes and adjust when necessary .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by bgdavis View Post
        Congratulations on reaching your two-year anniversary. May you and Jesse have many more!

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann
        thanks bonnie with baby's like your criss ann leading the way for the rest of us i know jesse would not be here today that is the legacy of criss ann and i am for ever grateful
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Now tonight Maggie was going up 360 and climbing so I felt quite safe giving her 1 unit of R. Not 1 1/2. I just checked her and she is 400. I am agreeing with you. I will need to see if she is on the rise if so give her the R. I think just one unit. she is still climbing but I think it could be a lot worse. I think this is rebounding from what happened last night we started at 360 and got to a low of 120 then back up to 366 so I gave her the shot. The one unit did seem to slow things down a bit. Thanks for the advise.
          Maggie, 70 lb golden Lab. dx 12/30/11 w/d kibble with a little canned innova, boiled chicken pieces after shot for treat.. starting on Levemir 3 units. 2/25/12

Comment

Sydney REALLY responds to R with significant drops. This morning Syd was 354 - I gave her the normal dose of 7.0 units and added in 1/2 unit of R.

After a few hours she was mid 100s and remainder there for the rest of the day...

Sometimes it doesn't take much to get them to drop...
            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Wow, that is good to know. I think I learned the hard way how good the R works. Thanks for the advise was looking for your post but couldn't find it.
              Maggie, 70 lb golden Lab. dx 12/30/11 w/d kibble with a little canned innova, boiled chicken pieces after shot for treat.. starting on Levemir 3 units. 2/25/12

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
                Sydney REALLY responds to R with significant drops. This morning Syd was 354 - I gave her the normal dose of 7.0 units and added in 1/2 unit of R.

After a few hours she was mid 100s and remainder there for the rest of the day...

Sometimes it doesn't take much to get them to drop...
                i give jesse about a half unit in the mid 200s 3/4 of a unit at high 200s to 300 i dont go over that

usually does the same for jesse goes into the mid to low 100s

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Roehm View Post
                  Wow, that is good to know. I think I learned the hard way how good the R works. Thanks for the advise was looking for your post but couldn't find it.
                  i really understand jesses numbers when they rise because i do test her before he walk an hour before fasting then test her at fasting if shes up 50 points or so i know she is on the rise and i can preempt it and not let her get to high

yesterday she was in the low 100s at about 1;30 pm at 4;30 pm she was 218 we went for a walk tested at fasting 260 well established rise gave her half unit of r and her nph and tested at eight and she was at 170 so there was glucose being released to not let her drop to much if that wasnt present she would have dropped further

so you get a feel for what is going on from experience and for jesse i am able to catch it earlier before she gets to high

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post

so barb thanks for confirming this it is a game changer i am thinking raising the blood sugar at fasting if it is lower food probably wont work because she is fed at that time and it has not made a difference she will probably need some liquid sugar to do that so its our next project for me and jesse

it never ends and i dont mind jesse can help others in the future and she likes that with her rabbits of coarse also
                    Thank you for confirming my suspicions, and that you have the same issue. It is almost like you are on a wave.... low in AM, high in pm. I think in our case, I may need to make some adjustments in insulin for AM and PM. I am currently giving Abby a lower dose during the day, because she has a sudden rise in PM, where as she has a lower fasting number in AM. She will run low (not hypo low) for a good part of the day. But perhaps a milkbone with honey may do the trick as well.
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

• Re: Jesse girl

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                      Thank you for confirming my suspicions, and that you have the same issue. It is almost like you are on a wave.... low in AM, high in pm. I think in our case, I may need to make some adjustments in insulin for AM and PM. I am currently giving Abby a lower dose during the day, because she has a sudden rise in PM, where as she has a lower fasting number in AM. She will run low (not hypo low) for a good part of the day. But perhaps a milkbone with honey may do the trick as well.
                      sounds like a plan

jesse does like her biscuits and honey i cant believe i am saying that giving a diabetic something like that

i think the honey is very good for her that is why i use it instead of something else

keep moving forward

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                        i went up to see mom last week and jesses cousin scooter has lymphoma and they decide not do to any chemo but decided to use prednisone and has shrunk the tumors to where you cant see them dont know if this put her in remission but she has lived longer than expected and she is the healthiest i have seen her in a long time no allergies coat is not shedding all the time and wants to play all the time

she has put some weight on and i informed the family to hold back on the extra snacks because they felt sorry for her and thought she might be gone soon so let her eat anything she wants and that may not be a good idea because we dont know how long they will stay and as we know the medication can contribute to higher blood sugar and possible diabetes so a strict diet may actually preserve health and life

any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated my brother more than likely will not do much more than giving the prednisone but maybe i can persuade to look into a diet that is more appropriate and cutting out the snacks the vet said not much exercise but i did the opposite when i was there she had plenty of energy and she so enjoys to play i have no experience in this matter
                        I can't help a whole lot with lymphoma care. I know there are diets available on the internet to support the overall health. From what I've read remission can occur but often doesn't last long .

Peggy's Forbin passed from lymphoma. As did Teva, a young golden in this blog who had gone through chemo http://tailwaggingmuse.com/2011/05/2...the-wunderdog/

Definitely enjoy each day to the fullest!
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

thanks patty for the info she is only 9 but as you said may not be allot of time but enjoy each day i am quite fond of her and so is jesse and that maybe the last time we can enjoy each other and we definitely did a good job at that lots of walks and playing ball

Comment

I'm afraid that I too know nothing about lymphoma other than what has already briefly been described.
                            Altho I thought Peroxicam, the same medication that Mil was on, is also used for this cancer too.

Must say tho that altho I can understand your concern over the snacks, personally I would let her as well as her family enjoy whatever makes her happy, not saying to go overboard.

Good wishes to Jesse's cousin...

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Hi Jessiegirl, I think nowadays they recommend a low carb or carb free diet for cancer patients. Going from memory here but I think the comment was that the carbs feed the cancer. I believe high protien would be better for the BGs as the break down would be slower.
                              Tara in honor of Ruby.
                              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
                                Hi Jessiegirl, I think nowadays they recommend a low carb or carb free diet for cancer patients. Going from memory here but I think the comment was that the carbs feed the cancer. I believe high protien would be better for the BGs as the break down would be slower.
                                Sorry to hear this... you never want to see any of them go through pain, but I did want to say, that I have read the same. Low Carbs is what is suggested.

Good choices would be Zucchini, squash leafy greens broccoli, cabbage.. protein and fats, such as canned fish (like salmon), as well as ground beef liver, kidney, eggs yogurts are all good choices.

Enjoy each day.
                                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                                X