Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: BG Curve help

all you can do is try something be patient give it a bit of time and if it doesnt work move onto something else

the problem with this disease we cant test for where sugar is coming from . is there other medical conditions causing the instability

It was quite brutal to get jesse to a better place it took vast amounts of attention and testing to come up with a plan that worked for her but its not perfect but much improved from those early days

what it taught me there are options if the one size program doesnt fit jesse and she has a bag of tricks if things get wonky and for jesse they will its just the nature of the disease for her

the key is to follow the protocols doing curves . looking for what is problematic in them and addressing those problems with possible solutions . If you see sustained resistance across the board in a curve it may point to a dose adjustment upward

now if you have seen better regulation on a dose and that appears to have ended there may have been a honeymoon period of still producing some of there own insulin . Its doubtful that dogs just wake up one day and do not produce insulin . more than likely its a process and your pup could be seeing this . another factor is a medical condition . infection is always on the list of for resistance

Its a process and sometimes very frustrating. With higher numbers testing for ketones is prudent and that maybe a reason to be more proactive with dosing and getting sugar down
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 01-25-2017, 07:06 PM

Georgie has been on diabetic food for about 1 month now.
Our vet called today, suggested we up her 1/2 unit to 5 units twice daily. There doesn't seem to be a somogyi effect as her nadir doesn't get too low (just under 200 with 4.5 units)

We are going to try 5 units twice daily and then do another curve in a week or so. I will be sure to spot test her with 5 units as she did get down to as low as 60 when she was in the vet's office for her curve - however she was on raw food at the time and her curve has changed dramatically since switching her to raw.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Founding Member

that would be expected with a change in diet to a diabetic prescription food that the dose would be more

Its maybe difficult to even use the previous curves with the raw diet to judge any future dosing or comparing
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 01-25-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
Georgie has been on diabetic food for about 1 month now.
Our vet called today, suggested we up her 1/2 unit to 5 units twice daily. There doesn't seem to be a somogyi effect as her nadir doesn't get too low (just under 200 with 4.5 units)

We are going to try 5 units twice daily and then do another curve in a week or so. I will be sure to spot test her with 5 units as she did get down to as low as 60 when she was in the vet's office for her curve - however she was on raw food at the time and her curve has changed dramatically since switching her to raw.
Have you found good results from raw? Are you administering Curve yourselves?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 PM

We stopped feeding her raw. From what I know now, I think her body was breaking down the food down to quickly. I'm not an expert, but with raw food her nadir (lowest Blood glucose level) of the day would be 4 hours after injection. She wouldn't stay there long, and before you know it her sugar levels were rising rapidly.

Controne2005: Since switching to dry diabetic she takes longer to reach her nadir, and stays there longer. She starts rising rapidly still, however this occurs later in the day, closer to her next injection time. I'm not knocking raw food. I think its great for dogs, just not so much for diabetic dogs. As Jessegirl explained, the insulin regimen is really set up with diabetic dog food in mind. The raw food doesn't supply enough fiber, or complex carbs. My advice would be to do a curve with raw, and if you notice the nadir comes on too early, switch to diabetic food. The diabetic food immediately raised her nadir also, which allowed us to give more insulin and bring down her highs.

We do our own curves at home. Some time just spot checking, other times full curves. Once you do a few curves and ensure everything remains exactly the same (time and size of feeding, time and dosage of insulin) you get to know when the key times to test are.

Just an update:
We upped her to 5 units last night and this morning. We did a quick BG test 5 hours post injection/meal, and she was 287. I did another test 6 hours post injection, she is a 90! Perfect! I'll test a few more times today since it is the first time she's getting 5 units.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
We stopped feeding her raw. From what I know now, I think her body was breaking down the food down to quickly. I'm not an expert, but with raw food her nadir (lowest Blood glucose level) of the day would be 4 hours after injection. She wouldn't stay there long, and before you know it her sugar levels were rising rapidly.

Controne2005: Since switching to dry diabetic she takes longer to reach her nadir, and stays there longer. She starts rising rapidly still, however this occurs later in the day, closer to her next injection time. I'm not knocking raw food. I think its great for dogs, just not so much for diabetic dogs. As Jessegirl explained, the insulin regimen is really set up with diabetic dog food in mind. The raw food doesn't supply enough fiber, or complex carbs. My advice would be to do a curve with raw, and if you notice the nadir comes on too early, switch to diabetic food. The diabetic food immediately raised her nadir also, which allowed us to give more insulin and bring down her highs.

We do our own curves at home. Some time just spot checking, other times full curves. Once you do a few curves and ensure everything remains exactly the same (time and size of feeding, time and dosage of insulin) you get to know when the key times to test are.

Just an update:
We upped her to 5 units last night and this morning. We did a quick BG test 5 hours post injection/meal, and she was 287. I did another test 6 hours post injection, she is a 90! Perfect! I'll test a few more times today since it is the first time she's getting 5 units.

That's great. Glad your having success on 5. We switched Auggie to the Hills w/d and immediately started getting numbers within normal range. It's encouraging to get some good glucose readings!
Old 01-28-2017, 02:04 PM

Hi Scott,
Sorry I've been offline for a couple days. Too bad the treats idea didn't work out, but that's how it goes sometimes. It's hard to tell how an individual dog's body will react to changes, so all we can do is try it out and see what happens.
Congratulations on the success your seeing with 5 units! I hope things continue to go well!
Good job!! Keep it up!!
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.