Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Overwhelmed with Food Choices

When you look to compare wet foods, you see total protein, total fat, fiber and moisture all expressed as a percentage. When you look at canned food, the moisture is usually at least 80% so the number for total fat on the label is not correct.

You use dry matter analysis to find the true fat % - take the moisture number from the label and subtract it from 100(as in 100 %) then take the reported amount of fat and divide it by the dry mattter figure you just figured.

The label for the Weruva Paw Licking Chicken I mentioned looks like this:
Crude Protein 10%, Crude Fat 1.4%, Crude Fiber .5% , Total Moisture 85%. Looks like it only has 1.4 % fat but when you take the moisture into account it actually is figured like this: 100 - 85 = 15. Then take 1.4 divided by 15 = .093333 or 9.3 % fat. Which is still very low fat but the label makes you think you are feeding 1%. This really matters when you look at a food like Wellness Core Weight Management - total fat on the label is 3.5% and the moisture is 78% 100 -78 = 22; 3.5 divided by 22 = .159 or 16 % fat. Technically, that is too high on fat for pancreatitis.

You also should look at the dry foods too - generally they have around 10% moisture so you can use the same formula to figure fat. It doesn't change the fat content much but it often is higher in fat than the label says. If a dry food has 10% moisture and the fat is listed at 10% then the actual fat is 11.1 % - not a huge difference but with pancreatitis, it could be important.

I mention this as you are looking at foods - when you compare labels, many employees at pet stores don't know or understand dry matter analysis. It will help you weed out the foods that are too high fat for pancreatitis. The biggest difference is wet and raw. Keep your calculator out and you can determine what the numbers really say.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 AM

Just wanted to add that we did pancreatitis with a nondiabetic dog and a great food we used was Honest Kitchen Zeal. Pricey but healthy.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 PM
Administrator

You can see some of the foods fed to our diabetic dogs over the years here:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240

I've seen diabetic dogs do well on basically every diet out there. The one thing I've seen somewhat consistently is that very high protein diets (all or mostly all meat) often do not match the profile of the insulin absorption and thus have required people who wanted to feed them to supplement the diet with vegetables or carbohydrates to give some sugar to the insulin early on while the protein is still being digested.

Dogs absorb insulin - generally anyway - faster than people do. So we use one medium insulin like Vetsulin or NPH to cover both basic blood sugar and sugar from meals while Type 1 diabetic people usually need a fast acting insulin to cover meals.

In some dogs, the insulin is process so quickly that they need something digested quickly to go with it, sometimes even totally carby stuff a human diabetic would never eat - bread, crackers!

So what proportions of protein and carbs will work well for your dog depends on how Lily processes her insulin injections.

Our diabetic dog ate it all while diabetic. Started with WD, moved to premium canned foods with grains, eventually mixed that premium canned food with an equal amount of lowfat cottage cheese, which worked well to deliver a slower supply of blood sugar than canned food alone.

Natalie
Old 02-28-2017, 09:15 AM

Default Just don't get it

Hi. Lily is our 9.75lb Bichon. Diagnosed Dec 23.

We are still trying to regulate.

Curve using Alpha Trak 2 completed 10 days ago and glucose was in 400's. Increased Novolin to 7 units from 6.5 - 2X day.

Today began Curve. 4 hours in, her glucose is 619. I repeated test, same result. I cannot figure this out. It seems way too high. Am I going crazy?

She does have UTI due to glucose over flowing into urine, and is on Clavomax (6 days) which should not interfere with glucose.

She also has Cushings and spot in her liver. We have yet to address because we need to regulate her.

We are stumped and frustrated. Our Vet is not in today!!! Hope someone please has some insight.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Just don't get it

Hi... I see that you mentioned in another thread that she may have hypothyroidism. Is she on thyroid meds?

Hypothyroidism can cause insulin resistance in dogs. The UTI can also cause high BG numbers.
Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/
Old 02-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Founding Member

it is also possible you may have passed the dose that was needed with numbers going higher with each dose adjustment upward

you are getting to a higher dose for your pup and seeing resistance to the dose i see 3 things that can explain it still not enough insulin to much insulin and a medical issue utis are on the list triglycerides cholesterol and thyroid are other medical conditions
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 02-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Founding Member

she has a lot going on

1. The UTI will make her blood sugar rise so while that is going on, it will be high
2. If she really has cushings the high cortisol levels cause a need for more insulin that a dog who doesn't have cushings.

We wound up treating for the cushings while getting my dog regulated because we inched up from 1 unit twice a day, to 7 units, twice a day on my 8 pound dog. Once the cushings meds had her cortisol down she needed 3.5 units a day.

If you aren't already, I recommend doing the curves yourself. I totally feel for you and understand your frustration. that was exactly where I was when Jenny was first diagnosed too. From May to July her curves didn't curve!

Talk to your vet about starting her cushings meds, then monitor the blood sugar closely. We wound up with scary lows because I had resisted testing at home.

hang in there, by the fall, my dog was back to being her bossy spunky self. diabetes dx in May, Cushings in July, normal Jenny in the fall
Old 02-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Thx for taking time to reply. I WILL talk to vet about Cushings meds. Thx for tip. So glad to hear a happy ending with Jenny. The Vet office started an urine culture today. Its the never ending UTI. With what you said maybe when we clear UTI up her numbers may go down.

I am doing my own Curves and randomly testing which makes me feel better that I Can monitor closely. But does not help the worry. Thx again
Old 02-28-2017, 02:54 PM

Mike, the Vet wants to get Her glucose numbers down before we attack thyroid or Cushings. Time for me to have a serious chat with vet. Thank you
Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Founding Member

members have used a form of cranberry extract to possibly help with preventing UTIs

something to look into
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021