Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Rusty's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmom View Post
So glad that Rusty had a great day. I hope today is a great one as well! I know what you mean about your day being good as well: Maddie having a good day=me having a good day!
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 04-05-2015, 02:26 PM

Smile Re: Rusty's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
it doesnt take much for anyone of us to appreciate when things are good
you said it!
Old 04-05-2015, 02:43 PM

Rejoicing in Rusty's good days. I hope you're sleeping better.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesmum View Post
Rejoicing in Rusty's good days. I hope you're sleeping better.
You and me are both rejoicing along with the rest of my family.
I still wake up thru the night to check on him,but it's getting a little better.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:27 PM

Rusty looks like a big enough boy to likely have calluses on his 'elbows'...if so, it's a great place to test. There is no need to trim hair, etc. and the further away from the face, the more compliant many will be. Grayson hates when the vet is poking his lip for a test, but for me, he will lay down and give me his leg to poke the elbow callus whenever he sees me coming with his tester! I rarely have any trouble getting a blood drop there, and I don't think he really feels it. We use a 26 gauge lancet and device (both are the cheap Relion brand from Walmart). If you don't want to spring for the expense of an Alphatrak meter, the One Touch is a great option as far as being fairly accurate in comparison.
Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini
Old 04-07-2015, 12:28 PM

Smile Re: Rusty's Journey

Another good day for Rusty!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 12:32 PM

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Did the vet do a curve or just a one-time sample at the time the vet "thought" was the nadir?

The textbooks all say the nadir is at about 6 hours but it simply isn't. It depends on the dog and how he absorbs the insulin and digests the food. Some dogs actually have their lowest blood sugar at meal and injection time with everything in between higher - a "mountain" curve.

So if a single test was done and the reading was 400, that does NOT mean that's the lowest the blood sugar goes between meals and injections.

What are you finding on the urine tests? Is there glucose in the urine?

Natalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty (Bobba) mom View Post
Doc says Rusty is looking good,however she raised his insulin from 7 units to 8 units due to the nadir being in the 400's I have to be honest with you I am really confused about the nadir and the curves...I think I am so exhausted that my brain just isn't functioning correctly when they explain this stuff to me. Is there an easy way to make me understand this? if so please explain it to me if you can. His next appointment for the same thing is April 11th.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Did the vet do a curve or just a one-time sample at the time the vet "thought" was the nadir?

The textbooks all say the nadir is at about 6 hours but it simply isn't. It depends on the dog and how he absorbs the insulin and digests the food. Some dogs actually have their lowest blood sugar at meal and injection time with everything in between higher - a "mountain" curve.

So if a single test was done and the reading was 400, that does NOT mean that's the lowest the blood sugar goes between meals and injections.

What are you finding on the urine tests? Is there glucose in the urine?

Natalie
I am still bringing him to the vet at the animal hospital where he was at for 4 days when he was first diagnosed with diabetes. He has had two appointments with her since he's been home both at 2:00 pm in which she told me the nadir was in the 400's.
His next appointment is this Friday at 6:20 pm. He eats and gets his insulin at 8:45 am & pm.
I check his urine every morning and the ketones have been negative and glucose reads at 100 or 250 since the increase in insulin. He was reading at 500 before the increase.

I am still a bit confused and trying to learn as I go along and he is also giving me such a hard time at injection time because he is so much like himself and very alert all the time.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Administrator

That's what I was afraid of. She doesn't know when his lowest blood sugar is. She just knows what his blood sugar is at 2 p.m., which isn't the same thing.

The urine samples seem much improved so I absolutely would not raise the insulin dose any more. It is possible that the blood sugar goes significantly lower and possibly even low at some point during the day.

Is she amenable to doing a curve?

If you live close by, you might be able to do a drive by curve. Or, better still, test at home and do the curve yourself.

Natalie