Newbie needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needing help

Hello, and thank you in advance for letting me join this forum. My Name is Donna and my newly diagnosed dog is an 11 year old PWC (Pembroke Welsh Corgi), Max. I rescued him 10 years ago and until now, he has been a typical (quirky), healthy, happy boy. He goes for a mile walk every day (weather dependent as I live in New England).
    Last Spring, during a routine senior panel blood draw, the vet told me his glucose was a bit high (not alarming and probably due to stress from all the Covid protocols in place). At her request, I brought her a urine sample, to which she said there is no way this dog is diabetic. Then retested his glucose in about a month with no change.
    Fast forward to about a month ago, he started drinking tons of water and peeing constantly. I was sure he had Cushing’s disease (I’ve had two Cushing’s dogs before), so made a vet appointment. She agreed with me, but before we went down that road, she took a glucose reading and it was 394. She also tested his urine at that time and he does not have ketoacidosis. He has also never had Pancreatitis. So he’s been on Vetsulin for 2 weeks now. We started at 3 units, went to 4 after a week, and as of this morning, we’re doing 5. In the last two weeks, his readings have never gone below 300 and are typically in the 400s. At 3 units, he was a frequent flier in the over 500 range. I have a Freestyle Libre sensor on him and it doesn’t go above 500. He weighs 29 pounds. He is fed ½ cup of food twice a day at 5:30 AM and 5:30 PM, adding about a tablespoon of shredded zucchini each time along with his insulin.
    I changed his food from Fromm Senior to Acana Heritage two weeks ago. I read it was better for diabetes and it’s what I’m currently feeding my GSD, so an easy switch. I did look up some foods (I’m not a fan of the garbage they put in prescription diets, but I do understand they have their place and can be life saving). I have also found a food called, Ketona for diabetic dogs, but holy cow, at $40 for 4.5 pounds of food, I can cook cheaper than that for him!
    I have tons of questions, but I guess first and foremost are these: Can a dog be insulin resistant? How much is too much insulin? How much can food play into this and can that be the reason his numbers are so high?

Re: Newbie needing help

hello Donna and Max

yes food and amount are equally important as insulin.

too much insulin will cause hypoglycemia

yes dogs can be insulin resistant. i havent seen any.

just to mentiin the sensors libres are Not reliable for diabetic dog curves or any data as they read too high and too.low there not safe. doing home testing with a handheld glucometer like the Alphatrack is recommended.
    doing home testing, weekly curves, raising and lowering insulin according to the curves lowest number will provide alot of data.. along with a good quality low fat food fed by the recommended mfg feed guide amount.

you.ll find 5 units closer to regulation for 29 lbs. a starting dose for a 29 lb dog is

.25 x 29 equals 7.25.

my dog was 22 lbs on 5 1/2 units and 1/2 cup of dry food twice a day.

first thing to check is the feed guide for a 29 lb dog. 1/2 cup may not be enough. food might not meet up with the 5 units.

you need to test after eating inject only if hes over 200 to avoid a hypo.
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and thanks for the information on the Alphatek! I’ll order one! Our vet put the Libre on Max and gave me a script for 4 more, which of course I purchased already…
      Also, thank you for the reassurance on the 5 units of Vetsulin. I panicked after upping his units so fast and then having the vet say on Thursday if his numbers don’t improve next week, we have to have a different conversation…Those words shocked me!
      I will check the Acana bag for his weight. As a typical Corgi, Max gains weight on air, so have to be very careful about how many calories he gets…
      Donna

Comment

good your getting the alphatrack. turn off the sound on it. i used just the lancet not the device as its easier

i.ve seen tooo many vets vets rely on just the sensor libre. its not a blood meter its a sensor.

your okay andon the right track. Max will be okay
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I checked the back of the bag and there's no feeding guidelines? I increased his food to 2/3 of a cup. My 80 pound GSD gets 1.5 cups of this 2 times a day and is at a very healthy weight.

Hope this helps Max!

Donna

Comment

found this chart to compare

Weight of Dog Weight of Dog Cups of Food per Day* Grams of Food per Day
            5 - 15 lbs 2.3 - 6.8 kg 1/2 to 1 1/8 50 to 112.50
            15 - 30 lbs 6.8 - 13.6 kg 1 1/8 to 1 7/8 112.50 to 187.50

30 - 50 lbs 13.6 - 22.7 kg 1 7/8 to 2 2/3 187.50 to 266

2/3 x 2= 1 1/3 close enough to 1 7/8

50 - 70 lbs 22.7 - 31.8 kg 2 2/3 to 3 1/2 266 to 350
            70 - 90 lbs 31.8 - 40.8 kg 3 1/2 to 4 1/8 350 to 412.50

Comment

Donna
              While I now understand that the Libre isn’t an accurate curve, this is what he presented today on it:
              5:00 AM – 415
              5:30 – breakfast and insulin 415
              6:30 – 423
              7:30 – 391
              8:30 – 378
              9:30 – 426
              10:30 – 418
              11:30 – 454
              12:30 – 424
              12:30 – 454
              2:30 – 355
              3:30 – 356
              4:30 – 367
              5:30 – dinner and insulin
              6:30 399
              My vet is using these numbers to read curves.
              Thanks for your help!
              Donna

Comment

curve is ok and stable and gives the opportunity to raise the dose safely
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

The stupid Libre sensor fell off this morning (after only 5 days) and my Alphatrack reader and strips don’t come in until Thursday… I feel like I’m in the dark! And to make matters worse, I’m going away for the weekend to the beach on a planned min-vacation with a dear friend. My husband will be caring for Max here at home, but I’ll still worry – he doesn’t so someone here has too! LOL I’d cancel, but my friend just lost her 5 year old dog after a 5 day hospital stay with a blood transfusion every day to Lymphoma. After that stressful event, I feel like she really needs it, so will not cancel.
                  Bottom line, this means I will not be able to do a curve until next Tuesday, so will leave him at 5 units until then. I just pray he does ok…
                  Donna

Comment

i used the human One Touch ultra glucose meter as a back up. its reliable. just need lancets and strips

its available in pharmacies

Comment

Hi,

I just found out MY Alphatrack will not be delivered until Friday, and I'll be on my beach weekend. Do you know how much the One Touch costs along with strips?
                      Thanks!

Donna

Comment

i paid about $100 back in 2012. call your local pharmacy.

i think theres meters here. ask around. maybe Natalie has one to overnight ship to you.

i think he,ll be okay for 6 more days!

Comment

Thanks! I think I'm just going to wait until Monday. I doubt my husband would be willing to learn his first curve without me being there anyway...

Comment

Some good news! My Alphatrack will be coming in tomorrow, so I will be able to get some readings before I leave for the beach on Friday! Not a curve, but he hasn't been read since since Tuesday, so it'll give me a bit more piece of mind!

Donna

Comment

I've hit a roadblock with the AlphaTrack. We've stabbed him at least 20 times today, and I keep getting an Er1. He is no where near Hypo based on his behavior! A couple of times he didn't bleed much, but a few times he most certainly did! Do you think it could be the meter has a bad board? I'll try again tomorrow, but I'm seriously thinking this is a bad meter...

Donna and poor pin-cushion, Max (who is so damn good about it, it makes me cry...)

Comment

Working...
                              X