Camellia Camelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camellia Camelo

Gail Dame and Camellia and I met in a school parking lot a bit after 11 this morning. We took an hour and a half - really hit it off, chatting, while Camellia indicated she wasn't REALLY ready to let me touch her yet, but the first picture here shows that a bit of Lamb and Rice Rollover could attract her attention. Sensible Gail hadn't fed her this morning.

She had no trouble with the unusual diet, either.

We just took everything slow and easy. Camellia had never worn a harness before, but we fit her with one from my collection of various sizes. Gail got her into her crate in my car, and off we went.

Camillia was quiet in the car; no complaining.

When we got home, I put all the gear in the house, leaving Camellia shut in the crate, till I was ready. Then I opened the crate door, and with a bit of patience, managed to attach the leash to the harness.

Then it took another half hour or so, with Camellia centimetering or mllimetering steps at a time, easing out of the crate, with some Rollover encouragement. Turid Rugaas, your work, of course, was operating throughout.

Camellia hesitated quite a bit at the cliff of the car-to-ground distance, and then she did a Kwali-sail-off, traveling on a hypotenuse of some five or six feet (but Kwali would have done 12 feet).

It was all too much at that point, and Camellia bolted for the road, but of course the harness-leash combination brought her up, just a bit sharply. I gave with the leash, to minimize the jar as best I could.

Camellia turned toward me, and squatted. GOOD GIRL! She eased herself into the grassy area, and shortly, produced a stool only a bit soft from all that Rollover influence, but otherwise, very good!

Then we puttered along the path to the double-baffle gate. Camellia was a bit hesitant about passing this barrier - so close to her, so obviously intended to confine, but she followed me okay into the baffle in just a moment, and I shut the Outer Gate.

Camellia allowed me to remove her harness without flinching. GOOD GIRL!

So then I opened the Inner Gate, and we were home, in the yard.

Camellia explored, doing a quick agility-course on the log rounds, and then quickly came up into the Front Parlor, which used to be the Front Stoop, and easily came into the house.

She spent much of the afternoon going in and out (I left the front door open), going to the Inner Gate, as if to say, Okay, now it's time for me to go home. Kumbi did the same thing on Kumbi ComeDay.

As the afternoon progressed, Camellia explored the house, and some of the yard, and took brief little naps, rousing and fleeing when I got up and moved around, but very shortly returning to me. Periodically, I gave her a bit more lamb and rice Rollover.

Camellia sniffed at the Dog Food Bin - she could smell her own food in there (thanks, Gail). So I put a quarter cup in her food dish in her crate, which used to be Kumbi's crate, but is located where Kwali's crate always was, beside my desk.

By late afternoon, she was really quite hungry for some substantial food, but hesitant to eat in the crate facing its back. So I moved the food and water dishes, putting them on the floor in front of the crate door.

I added another quarter cup of Camellia's kibble to her food dish, then dropped in about three tiny pieces of Rollover. First, Camellia went after those, dropping a couple of kibbles on the floor right next to the dish; then, she demolished the entire contents of the dish.

GOOD GIRL, Camelia! I've been saying her name surely five million times today; I did call her TJ once - just once, shortly after we got home.

She's responding to "Camellia" - of course, could be just as easily to my voice!

I tried her on the dog door, but she wasn't having any of it, not even with Rollover, so | just left that alone. Early evening, when I came out of the bathroom, I couldn't find Camellia.

She popped into the house through the dog door!

GOOD GIRL, Camellia!

By mid-evening, Camellia was rolling over for belly-rubs, and allowing me to run my hands over her body, as long as I progressed slowly and didn't move suddenly.

She's not used to being allowed on the furniture, as far as I can tell, though at first I also thought she didn't know about dog doors, but it's clear she does know that. I have her blankie on Our Bed; let's see what happens tonight!

Off to bed in a few moments. Four pictures from today are in my Camellia photo album.

1) Gail in the parking lot with Camellia in her van.

2) Me sitting in the parking lot, with Camellia approaching for Rollover

3) Camellia in the yard, near the log-round agility course. The logs in the background are outside the fence.

4) Camellia lying on the living room floor.

We are both tired. I slept only two hours last night, will have to rest and nap a lot. Camellia had a VERY long day. I think we'll try a bit of a road walk tomorrow, a couple of hours after breakfast, and see how that goes.

Good night, all!

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:14:20

Dear friends at k9diabetes - Kwali and Kumbi have surely chosen well. Camellia will have her own page on Coherent Dog, when I have time to make it!

Camellia had a REALLY bad experience when she was spayed a few months ago. Coming out of anaesthesia, Camellia bit. The assistant apparently punished her! This was a huge setback, and where Camellia had previously been outgoing and happy, she became shy and nervous.

I can tell she'll overcome this eventually, assuming I can protect her from any other such traumatic event

She's a wonderful dog, a Havanese about 3.5 yars old, in perfect condition (I can feel that with my hands).

She comes from seantiagohavanese.com. Bev Dorma of mistytrails aided us in the exchange, as did my beloved neighbor Terri, whose Havanese Keegan enchanted me.

I got lucky. Yes; I got lucky.

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 23:16:41 (PDT)
    Last edited by CarolW; 08-19-2010, 04:36 PM. Reason: Correct misspellings of Camellia's name!
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Re: Camellia Camelo Suerte del Cielo DulcePaws

Oh Carol - she is so cute.
    I am so pleased for you and the news of your new arrival has made my day.
    Kwali and Kumbi done very well for you!
    Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Carol - a new adventure guided in spirit by Kwali & Kumbi....enjoy the ride & keep us all in the loop

Comment

Carol - I'm sooooo happy for you, AND also for Camellia for finding such a fabulous new mom and home. She may not know it yet, but she is one lucky dog - and how adorable! I'll be watching for further posts about your progress as you get to know each other.

Carolyn
        Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Congratulations!! She's adorable!!!

She will figure out that she's safe. Jack never once looked at us when we met him.

I sure hope someone set the vet and the vet tech straight!

Natalie

Comment

Carol,
            Congratualtions!!!!
            So very happy for you both!!
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Carol,
              I don't know which one is more beautiful: Camellia or you, my bff!! She is just gorgeous, and somehow I doubt she will remain shy or nervous for very long. How could she, with all the love and attention that you will be providing? Seriously, if I ever become critically ill and need constant care, I'm moving in with either you or Marie (Bruno's mom)! Carol, I wish you the best of luck with Camellia...I already know it's a match made in heaven. Camellia is one lucky little girl. I'm so happy for you. This news has made my day!
              Love,
              Kevin
              Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Carol,

I didn't realize you were so close to finding your new dog and now you already have her. She is beautiful and so lucky that you have taken her in. Camellia is a beautiful name and before long in your care she will truly bloom.

Jenny

Comment

I'm really pressed for time right now, but your responses fill my heart with joy. I'll be back when I can, likely not till tomorrow.

Love and hugs to all - ALL of you here on the forum share the kinds of love and compassion we humans with diabetic dogs tend to have!

Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:56:01 (PDT)
                  CarolW

Comment

Dear Carol,

I do think that Kwali and Kumbi made a very wise choice and, they knew when the time was right! She is absolutely beautiful and I adore the name!

Looking forward to hearing more!

Linda/Ladybug

Comment

Dear Carol,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Camellia is so beautiful - I am so happy for the two of you . Looking forward to hearing more about her. Hugs to you and your precious girl.
                      Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Oh Carol, I am so thrilled for you both....what a blessed little doggy to be living with you and sharing your life! I am looking forward to reading about the new adventures that you two will be enjoying together.
                        (((HUGS)))
                        Jo-Ann

Comment

Thanks, Linda, and everybody else who replied.

I managed to get a page up for Camellia. I'm falling asleep at the keyboard again, so will come back later.

http://www.coherentdog.org/camcome.php

G'Night all!

Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:44:55 (PDT)
                          CarolW

Comment

Wow! This is great and happy news. She's adorable and you two look as if you were made for each other. I love Camellia's hairstyle...the way the bangs cover one eye, and my, what sparkling white teeth she has. She's a lucky, lucky girl to have found her home with you, Carol. I'm certain everyone on the board would agree that if any of us ever comes back as a dog, we would all hope to get you as our owner.

Best wishes for a long, happy and healthy life with Camellia.

~Rosey

Comment

Again thanks for your lovely posts! Camellia and I are both badly needing a lot of rest, but we've been very busy getting through the basics of introduction to our lives together. Part of my effort is to establish the daily routine and ritual that are so reassuring to dogs, when we humans can mostly provide that - some semblance of similarity from one day to another, of how daily events go. This allows the dog (and the human too) to know what to expect.

Which, in turn, provides the sense of security and stability that all dogs - and humans! - need, for best health and comfort.

I did get my Camellia ComeDay page up, and have begun to work on Camellia's Journal, but it will take me a few days at least to get the first of that series up on Coherent Dog. Probably I'll post a fairly detailed journal of Camellia's first few days, or week, with me, and thereafter, occasional reports, or descriptions of significant or exciting or fun events.

No question; the Havanese are a true companion-breed for humans. Just amazing, really! Camellia has clearly been very well raised and trained. She sits nicely to have her harness put on, when at first, it scared her to have anyone reach for her head - but this harness has to be dropped over the head. Now she doesn't even shy away from my dropping the harness over her head, and she also sits nicely while I attach the leash.

GOOD Camellia!

More later; I'll be working on the journal, and pointing you there, but now, Camellia and I both need a LONG night's sleep!

People here REALLY understand what dog-and-human bonding is. All of you provide the great intensity, and the careful attention, that makes truly great care for your dogs.

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:20:19 (PDT)
                              CarolW

Comment

Working...
                              X