Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sissy's Mom

Glad the dental went ok, and it is behind you
    Hopefully you will get more stable numbers.

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Good to hear
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Today is sissys 3rd day on baytril and she keeps going low( for her). I don't usually see 70's and 90's. Does baytril cause that or is she getting rid of infections?? She has been off the clindamycin for her dental since Friday!!
        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Hi,

I seem to remember my Criss' bgs dropping when she took Baytril. It's been several years ago, so hopefully somebody else will address this.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

From Visitor's Message:
            Patty,saw a post of urs regarding baytril and blood levels.Sissy seems to be rising about hr 9-10 and then dropping by fasting. Not really high, in 300's. Also,since dental she has lost .6 lbs,but eating the same.would u think that might be ok,given possible infections,both dental and liver??? She is spunkier than I have seen her in several years,lol ,fun to see also I am starting denamarin again on Monday,per internist. Any thoughts, thanks,as always.
            Hi Jackie,
            Sorry I've been away from the forum for a bit with my sister visiting. I thought I would add your question from my visitor's message page here since you'd addressed it in your post as well.

I love that Sissy has been spunky lately! When Ali took Baytril I usually saw a rise at the tail end of her curve. I usually gave it to her around hour 4 though into her insulin dose.

Later after her brain tumor was diagnosed, she was on it and I gave it in her 1st meal. I didn't really see a rise or drop with it compared to without it. But we also had a whole host of other issues going on then.

In humans, quinolone drugs (which Baytril is one of) can cause a rise in blood sugar.

Though if you are giving it to eliminate an infection, I would think that as the infection clears, blood sugar levels may come down.

Not really a clear answer. But I'd note the trend and keep it in the back of your head if it happens again. You may have to adjust accordingly while she'd on the med if it's given for an extended period of time.

Hope that helps,
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Patty yes thanks for the note.she will be on it for 14-21 days.her numbers have been a little lower.I also feel getting infections cleared could also be contributing . She has been a little crazy this week,lots going on,however,I started the denamarin yesterday( still on baytril) and was sick today,so I stopped denamarin until through baytril and another liver level next week.she's doing well with her dental over.my hope is all of this will help her
              Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Bumping this up for Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

How is Sissy doing? Still on the baytril, and has infection cleared up?

Thinking of you and Sissy.

Barb

Comment

Thanks patty and barb ,
                    Sissy is off baytril , started back on denamarin. Interesting, if I give it to her between 2-3 pm, by supper she is low(70-90). Now I give it to her one hour before supper, and it doesn't lower her so much.I have reduced her insulin, as before, but I am going to go back to her regular adjusting schedule, because she is normally, not dropping significantly. She is staying in the mid 100' s to mid 300' s.it is a little difficult for insulin because I never know when she will hit a 80-100. She is feeling really good, I have seen her actually trying to play, and drag her big bed, lol.she has never played.puts a huge smile on my face.
                    And she will be 10 yrs old on Wednesday.
                    I still wonder if some food addition or change would level some more.???? Love some thoughts on this.even if it evened on her higher side, then I could work with insulin.she still is not consistent on levels!

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Can you post some curves, and perhaps we can offer some suggestions. I have added millet (as you know), and this is a slow acting carb, and find that it goes the distance. It may be something you may want to add, and see how it affects Sissy.

Happy early Birthday to Sissy....

Barb

Comment

Hi Barb, haven't done a full curve, but will do one tomorrow and post. An average day this past week would be
                        6 a.m. fasting. 338
                        11:30 a.m. 194
                        6 p.m. fasting. 364

She gets denamarin at 4:30 p.m. however, I will post at least a mini curve tomorrow evening.

?? Does the carb flatten things out

Comment

A small amount of a faster acting carb could help lessen the drop she gets.

Happy early birthday to Sissy!!!

Comment

thanks Patty, As i said she gets denamarin one hour before supper.
                            today, I cant get her below 400!!!!! Dont know what is going on.
                            Would the extra carb keep her more level during the day, or raise the low she SOMETIMES gets at the end of the day?

Comment

The idea would be to keep the morning low point a bit higher so all numbers would be flat and you could raise insulin then if needed.

If she's continuing to drop into PM fasting some day, I might try some added fiber (like unflavored powdered fiber) instead and see what that does.

Comment

The problem is she is sooooo unpredictable. However, when she goes low, it is usually in PM. Could a food change from DCO change her unpredictable pattern.if so, what might help? A higher protein, or carbs etc. I have never changed her food. Or maybe just an added item. I will post today's mini curve at suppertime.( I'm doing every 3 hrs)
                                I would like to try a food adjustment, because I never have!! Vet doesn't want me to, but how will I know if I don't try. I hate to see her on such a rollercoaster!!

Comment

Working...
                                X