Sweet Kermit passed away on March 2, 2016, at 15 years of age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Kermit passed away on March 2, 2016, at 15 years of age

(My apologies for length! Actual questions at the end for anyone not in the mood for my novella)

Kermit the Dog: 14 year old neutered male “beagle” though possibly foxhound or mix. Think tall, skinny, athletic beagle with lifelong anxiety issues. Prozac discontinued 5/7.

Prior to May 1, weight 44 pounds. Now down to 41.5. Previously diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and arthritis, chronic airway disease and inflammatory bowel disease. Symptoms of these conditions were managed with 100 mg gabapentin 3x daily and 5 mg prednisone daily. He's been weaned off the prednisone with his last dose 5/8 and thankfully has had no return of his cough. He still takes the gabapentin. IBD has not returned since 30 day Tylan regimen in February.

Kermit first presented May 1 with loss of appetite, heavy (water) drinking, lots of peeing and agitation – panting, pacing, circling. (I had noticed some symptoms prior, blamed the steroids and reduced his prednisone to 2.5 daily). We observed swelling of the lymph nodes in his neck, also suspected UTI, and started a course of amoxicillin and added alprazolam for the anxiety. He did okay that way for a couple of days, but on May 5 began exhibiting some odd neurological signs like standing in corners, leaning against walls and having more trouble than usual moving around in the world. I blamed the anxiety meds, but late that afternoon he vomited up several undigested medications still wrapped in their sausages, so we went running for the vet. We tried a different antibiotic that night – zeniquin – based on my feeling that he had been a little better on the amoxicillin and that I thought his neck was less swollen. Full blood panel ordered that day, and with those results, diabetes (glucose 600+) and pancreatitis were diagnosed the next day. Ultrasound showed enlarged liver, angry pancreas and they thought (at that time) lymphoma because of all the swelling in his neck. He would not eat and refused all oral medications.

His agitation was extreme and these were very difficult days. Probably lots of you have sat with an animal you love that is in distress – so y'all know. We made it through only because Kermit started eating teeny amounts when I begged and praised and babied him. A few small bites and 4 units of insulin, raised to 6 if he ate a little more, and raised to 8 if he ate great. That was last week – good grief, seems like a year ago. I was holding out hope that the enlarged lymph nodes in neck and abdomen were more related to the general inflammation and stressed out immune response of the untreated diabetes and concurrent pancreatitis, and I continued his antibiotic zeniquin. He was prescribed cerenia for the nausea and mirtazapine to stimulate appetite. Kermit got better, started eating more.

He has had two curves so far, at the vet's office. The first one was about 48 hours after starting the teeny 4 unit insulin doses, with all glucose readings registering too high to measure. Five days after increasing to 8 units, second curve had a low of about 360. We increased to 10 units Humulin N, every 12 hours. That is his current dose.

He had been quite calm and doing much better with eating, but two days after finishing the antibiotic zeniquin, he became agitated again. Panting, pacing, refusing to rest, wearing out his poor old back, and labored breathing even when he eventually stopped moving hours later. We ran back to the vet. Cytology of the lymph aspiration does not rule out an “emerging” lymphoma but shows only neutrophilic inflammation. No cancer. We have restarted the zeniquin, a two week course this time. Continuing with cerenia and mirtazapine. That was Friday. $25 (!!!) spot check glucose reading 335.

Today – Kermit is little old man Kermit, not exactly bouncing off the walls, but he is calm, comfortable and is eating on his own. He is still very picky about eating, but today he seems to be okay with boiled chicken, oatmeal and canned pumpkin. I have been cooking for him his whole life, so it is not surprising to me that he utterly refuses any fancy prescription foods – but he also now turns away from lean beef, rice, butternut squash and a few other foods he has never refused before. I know some of these foods are not ideal for diabetics, but for now, I just need him to eat anything and try to settle his poor pancreas.

I got a Relion meter at Walmart today and based on what I had read on this forum about walmart insulin, I spoke to the pharmacist there. She quoted me $24.88 for a bottle. That's a complete game changer for me after having paid $115 at Costco last week, especially being in the hole about $2000 from vet visits, meds and diagnostics to get us here.

I know that the Alpha Trak 2 is probably ideal for home glucose testing, but for now I am trying like heck to keep spending down while also keeping Kermit alive and most importantly comfortable. I realize that he is not immortal, but I'll be danged if I will be making an end of life decision for a disease that is treatable. If we fail, we fail, but I'm committed to trying. I do have some experience with nursing/hospice care situations from my 18 year old dog Bonnie who passed in 2013, as well as with several human family members that have also passed. I'm generally familiar and comfy with medical situations, with some knowledge of human Type II diabetes and dietary recommendations.

But, I have a lot of questions. There is just a wealth of information here, some of which I have read through (and I really can't thank everyone who posts here enough, the stories and information here have already made a big difference in MY quality of life, not to mention Kermit's).

My big questions for today are:

--Does anyone have any ideas about this generalized agitation/anxiety or seen similar symptoms in their diabetic dogs? I do have alprazolam to give him, but I have been reluctant to dose him with that for fear of disguising an important blood sugar symptom.

--Does anyone have experience with the Relion glucose meter and how it works with canine blood? I took a spot check reading this afternoon and got 316. Hopefully this week I can get with the vet and do some comparisons with their AlphaTrak, but at $200 a curve, I sure would like to put that off for a week or even two, if Kermit remains this stable and comfy. I am not opposed to getting an AlphaTrak myself down the road if I can get Kermit stabilized, but the cost and delivery time are what made me start with Relion.

--Has anyone had any issues switching from Humulin N to the Walmart brand of insulin?

--How crucial is it that the shots are exactly 12 hours apart? Surely 20 or 30 minutes is an okay margin of error?

--How can I be sure I'm giving the injection correctly? The vet had me 'draw back" a little once I inserted the needle, but I find that very awkward and am not always able to do that. Could I be injecting the insulin into his skin instead of under it? Would I see liquid outside if that were the case? How badly can one possibly give the injection? What if I miss an air bubble? Giving the injection is definitely the part that gives me the most anxiety.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated! I know my Kerm is an old guy with a complicated diagnosis, but I'm not going to give up on him just because he's “old”. There is no expiration date stamped on him. His quality of life is still very good – he jumps in chairs, lays in the sun, takes off out of the driveway gate if you leave it open and bays at a strong breeze. He's more than just this list of symptoms and he hasn't given up on me yet. After last week, it seems like a miracle that he's still with me at all.

Re: Kermit the Dog

Welcome to the forum. I only have a few minutes, but will try to address a couple of your questions.

Which Walmart Relion meter do you have? I have both the Confirm and Prime that I've compared to my AlphaTrak2. As you know, human meters will have some error when testing dog blood. A rough conversion that I've used with the Confirm meter is to divide the meter reading by .72. For the Prime, I divide the meter reading by .68. (Yea, I have an old calculator next to Annie's testing equipment). some don't try to convert, but record the number on the meter and use the error as a safety factor.

I've used both Humulin-N and Novolin-N and there wasn't and difference (in my case, others might have seen a tiny difference). You are so new, the switch to Novolin-N is a no-brainier

We've heard 1 or 2 other vets suggest pulling back on the syringe plunger, I don't think any of us do that! We do inject air into the insulin vial to prevent a partial vacuum in the vial when we pull out insulin. Example: I inject 6 units of Novolin-N, so I first inject 6 units of air into the vial, then withdrawal the 6 units of insulin. This procedure helps keep air bubbles forming in the syringe.

We try to feed & inject about 12 hours apart. Yea, sometimes life happens and I "do" Annie as much as an hour early / late, but that has been very infrequent in the last 7 years.

Gotta run, I'm sure others will be on later.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Hi and welcome to you! Don't apologize for the long post - more info is always better than less.

Kermit has a few issues, but all of our dogs have their challenges. My Maggie has pancreatitis bouts, diabetes and raging allergies which give her skin infections from time to time. She has lost much ground in the last six months but she is almost 15, and has dementia as well. She does eat well but her sight and hearing are going. She has experienced anxiety her entire life from abuse she suffered as a young puppy.

It sounds like you have him stable and are well on your way. The anxiety is not something I think goes necessarily with diabetes per se but maybe to one of his concurrent conditions. I would say he just doesn't feel well and maybe he is in some pain. He could have some neurological issue as well. Maggie has become very agitated with this dementia diagnosis and she paces quite a bit. Many dogs with high blood sugar pace in the beginning but usually wanting food. I would not think the anti anxiety med would cause many problems with blood sugar. At this point, easing his anxiety would win out over blood sugar. He is pretty high anyway. If you have a meter, you can check his sugar and many dogs show no apparent signs of low blood sugar.

The Relion meter is not really accurate in the higher ranges but should be fine for your purposes. Craig is good with meter comparison and can help you out with conversions. I never purchased the Alphatrack - I use the One Touch Ultra.
      It is very close to my vet's lab and Maggie has survived for seven years with diabetes so I would say it has done a good job. Strips are cheap on eBay and Amazon. The One Touch is probably the closest meter of the human ones to the Alphatrack. Remember, you are looking to compare ranges and pick up patterns. A glucometer, including the Alphatrack, relies on algorithms so there is an error element to any meter.

Maggie had only a small difference changing from Humulin to Novolin and I actually like Novolin better. My bottles of Humulin never lasted potency wise for an entire month. Also, duration wise, Novolin seems to have better duration than Humulin. The tiny difference in the two brands is not significant. Save money where you can.

There is generally an hour to play with on the 12 hour window. I would try to stay as close as possible in the beginning to be consistent but life happens. 20 or 30 minutes is not crucial.

Drawing back when injecting is unnecessary IMO, and I don't do the tenting thing. I just pick up skin and inject at the bottom. Everybody does a fur shot every once in a while - you will be able to smell the insulin very strongly when you do it. I also don't use the scruff - absorption there is not great so I stick with the sides. Vary your sides/spots to avoid scar tissue.

As far as Kermit's dose, a good starting dose would have been 8 units, so he seems to have just gotten to this. Now, generally, during this time, any changes in dosage or food should be given 5-7 days to settle then do a curve and re-evaluate. When pancreatitis is thrown in there and unstable eating, then it makes the process tougher. Maggie went at least three months of eating just chicken and broth and a few pieces of pasta trying to give her pancreas time to heal and turning down many premium brands of food along the way. Baby food worked well during those times. I tried to home cook a recipe and it was a disaster - she spit it out it was so bad. I wouldn't force kibble or any dog food on him if he doesn't want it. Find something he likes and stick with it - I always say moderate protein, lower in fat and moderate in fiber. Merrick makes some rather appetizing canned stews with names like Cowboy Cookout and grammies pot pie that are diabetic friendly. They actually look and smell pretty tasty.

Dogs do have different tendencies than humans with diabetes and most closely resemble type 1 diabetics. They process insulin differently from humans. I have people who tell me that I need to avoid all carbs but with the type of insulin we inject, the dogs need some carbs to balance out insulin.

Since my answers are pretty long, I will give your eyes a break. There are so many knowledgeable people here who are very kind and chances are someone here has dealt with any issue that arises.

Amy
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you both so much for such helpful responses. So appreciated.

Craig, I got the ReliOn Prime. Thanks so much for giving the ratio, I will definitely factor that in. I know my Kermit is running very high and I am not going to irresponsibly muck around his dosage. Really I would love to be able to sample his level and correlate it to any of the behaviors I'm seeing from him, and at this point I am happy to have any data at all. Especially data that costs me 20 cents and not $200. (Not that Kermit isn't worth it, but ouch.)

Injecting air makes ~perfect~ sense to me. Totally get it. Thanks for that tip

Amy, at seven years I would say both you and that meter have done a remarkable job! No question there is some dementia involved with my Kermit, and had you asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have gone into a long involved speech about sundowning and disrupted circadian rhythms and blue light exposure etc. There is something somehow different about this particular anxiety of Kermit's that I can't quite put my finger on, and perhaps related to whatever infection he clearly has. My instinct is to increase healthy fats, but the pancreatitis is somewhat confounding to me in that regard. I'm still trying to research mct's and how they might affect a canine pancreas.

The carb/insulin response in dogs also makes good sense to me, and I'm now questioning a bit whether I tried to go too "low carb" with my Kermit, given his change in behavior. Adding back in the antibiotic has helped a great deal too though. I guess we'll just see.

It's hard not to feel like I'm doing something wrong - somehow I think Kermit should be responding better or more quickly to this increased insulin, that there is something wrong with the insulin or the needle or with me giving the injection. I get that this is a process, and have definitely read some other threads on this forum where newcomers are overly anxious for regulation. It's kind of terrifying here in the beginning, and I hope my Kermit hangs around long enough for me to be an expert.

I am trying to be patient. Not saying that I'm doing a good job of being patient, but I really am trying

Thanks again to you both.

Comment

I would NOT increase any fats in Kermit's diet. Pancreatitis is a serious problem, and since Kermit has already been diagnosed with it, that needs to trump any treatment for dementia.
          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Agreed, Cara. I am keeping Kerm on a no fat diet until I can see some improvement in his appetite and weight.

We were back at the vet today - I canceled the scheduled "curve" at their office based on my own testing with the Relion meter, and that I think all his numbers are just flat out too high for testing to show very much. He tested at 460 on the Alpha Trak at the vet today, and 272 on my Relion. It wasn't the same drop of blood, so I'm not sure how I feel about the discrepancy. Even with the .68 conversion, I would have predicted the AlphaTrak at 400. His sugar is just too high any way you slice it though.

I took a semi curve myself on Monday, mainly to practice using the meter and get Kerm used to testing. The lancet and testing are a complete non-event to my sweet Kermit. He loves all the cooing and attention, and despite his super-anxious self, as long as he's next to me, he's happy - doesn't matter to him what I'm doing. I'm super grateful that he doesn't mind me poking him.

(unconverted) results from the Relion:

9:00 breakfast and 10 units insulin, no bg reading because I had no coffee
            12:15 276
            2:15 260
            5:00 338 (small snack after)
            7:00 387
            9:00 supper, 10 units
            9:15 434
            11:20 381
            12:20 445 at tail, confirmed 424 at ear
            1:30 505

converted, these results are in the 400-750 range. All just high.

The vet has raised his dose conservatively to 11 units 2x daily, and I agree with being conservative until I feel like we are out of the woods with the pancreatitis and underlying infection. Kermit remains on antibiotics and has about 10 days left on a 2 week course of zeniquin.

Sigh. I am concerned of course, I still feel like he should be responding better. I sure would feel better giving him these shots if we were seeing any improvement or change in his numbers for the better. They are slightly lower than "too high to read", I guess, but it still feels almost useless.

Could my insulin be bad? Am I giving it wrong? I've looked at the somogyi/rebound curves and Kermit's numbers seem more flat-lined too high to me than I would be seeing with that diagnosis?

Also bearing in mind that he eats ~much~ better at night than in the morning, and that his diet is ever changing these days based on his whims. Yesterday he lost his taste for oatmeal, so we're with chicken, white rice and baby food veggie pouches yesterday and today. I am just not going to be able to control his food very much until/if/when his appetite returns. He is at least eating. He is now down to 40.6 lbs from 44 on May 1.

Any thoughts on those readings?

Comment

The numbers are high but I have seen worse at the point you are at. This is a long process and top priority is getting him over pancreatitis which took me what seemed like months. Once you can give him consistent meals, you can't expect his blood sugar to really change much. You don't want to rush him - i did this with Maggie twice and a pancreatitis relapse or two is zero fun. I would take the early days hour to hour just trying to get through. I wish I could be more encouraging for you.

As far as weight, even if he were eating with high blood sugar, the body wouldn't be able to use that food. Once he gets stable with his blood sugar, the weight will come back slowly.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

As you said, 10 units is a lite dosage for a 40 pound pup so these readings weren't unexpected. Highly doubt the insulin is "bad", should be good for at least a month. Just will take time.

Craig
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Hi BlueBonnet - as a newer member on the forum and one that is still working on getting her pup regulated I thought I would give you my experience so far and hopefully encouragement along with that.

My 8 1/2 yr. old Bichon started with excessive drinking/urinating in March. Treated for UTI and then had bloodwork done. Vet wanted to test her for Cushings as her liver enzymes were very high and there were some other possible indications. Test came back positive but I wanted 2nd opinion. Two weeks later when seeing the new vet she was diagnosed with diabetes and also had ketones in her urine so he started her on insulin (Vetsulin) right away.

That was in mid April. It has now been a month and I am still trying to get her levels regulated as they have ranged from 145 - high 400's. Started with 4 1/2 units of insulin, increased to 5 quickly then to 7 which is where we are now. She is, however, doing much better and levels are coming down so it definitely does take time. Oh, I forgot to mention she had pancreatitis too!!

Since pancreatitis & diabetes I had to change her diet. Started with prescription Hills r/d, then changed to i/d and now she's on the w/d which is more for the diabetes. Vet also gave her PanaKare tablets to help the pancreas work - did your vet prescribe anything for the pancreatitis?

So, this coming Saturday I take her back to vets to get tested again for the pancreatitis to see if it is better (keeping fingers crossed) and I'm also going to have her tested for hypotrhyroidism as she has dark spots on her skin, a thinning tail and also shedding which Bichons don't do.

All of these diseases however still could relate back to Cushings and vet believes they do, however right now we are concentrating on the diabetes and I'm thankful that at least the drinking/urinating are back to normal.

As far as giving the shots, you will make mistakes. The other day I either hit a nerve or vein as she yelped and then there was a bruise...I panicked and called the vets but they said it was nothing to worry about as long as it didn't get worse and it didn't. It's also difficult when your pup doesn't have a lot of extra skin to pull up but you just do the best you can and hope it works. I get nervous everytime that I didn't do it correctly but that nervousness gets better with time.

I purchased an AlphaTrak as I found the starting kit for a good price on Amazon and since then have been testing at home as I also pay $25 per test at the Vets and $135 for a curve.

Hang in there and before you know it you'll be writing your experience to try to help out another newcomer!

Brenda
                  11 yr. old Bichon Frise...Diagnosed April 2015...Novolin 2x/day; snacks- frozen green beans, dehydrated chicken piece and frozen pumpkin pieces.

Comment

Thanks, Amy and Craig. I am trying to be patient. It's almost embarrassing to admit, after reading some of the stories here, that it's only two weeks today since we got our diabetes diagnosis. I am definitely a beginner.

In my defense... it ~feels~ so much longer. Kermit's anxiety feeds my anxiety, and it's the kind of situation where I give him an alprazolam and I feel better! Luckily his anxious behaviors are down to a dull roar since about day 3 of this course of antibiotics. I am very worried about that underlying infection and what will happen once he finishes this course of antibiotics... but that is not happening today. so.

The picky eating is just so odd to me - Kermit has been a goat/trash compactor his whole life. I have a lock on the fridge and on the trash to prevent break-ins. He once stole a wing off the Thanksgiving turkey, ate a bag of mini-snickers without unwrapping a single one, and famously drank a box of wine. He's also been an explorer and adventurer, running off to visit nearby restaurants and being picked up/saved by countless strangers. For some reason it makes sense in Kermit's world that his extreme separation anxiety should be good reason to run off and let me chase him all over town.

Between the questionable food choices and escape artist behavior, I can tell you that "getting old" never really entered my thought process for Kermit.

We are hanging in there. And hopefully Kermit's excess of personality and stubbornness will serve us well.

Brenda - thanks for sharing your story and I hope your Bichon has a good test day on Saturday

Kermit does have low T4 numbers and elevated liver enzymes. I had a question in last week's list about pancreatic and liver supplements, but it was one of the questions that got pushed to a back burner. I'll pull it back to the top of the list, thanks for the reminder! (You know my vet just looooooooves to hear from me. lol.)

I appreciate the support, y'all. thanks

Comment

Well... I was wishing for progress and results, and I definitely got something. Not quite sure what exactly yet, but it is something.

We upped his dosage to 11 units 2x daily on Wednesday the 20th. I took a few spot checks that showed some improvement but did not monitor for any real trending until Saturday. He gets meals and insulin at 9 and 9, with snack at 5. These are unconverted readings from the Relion Prime.

Sat May 23

11:07 189
                      1:45 96
                      2:48 171
                      4:35 284
                      6:40 284
                      8:50 198
                      10:36 128
                      12:31 148

So, improvement. I hadn't planned on testing him much that day, but freaked out a little with the 96 and wanted to make sure that he wasn't going to drop significantly from there. He didn't.

Sun May 24

10:20 196
                      11:45 148
                      01:22 142
                      04:45 155
                      06:11 114
                      08:16 128
                      09:10 121
                      10:45 207
                      12:49 244
                      02:48 246

Great great numbers during the day, but spiking a little at night. Hooray for progress, let's see where this goes.

Mon May 25

08:50 198
                      11:00 189
                      12:00 166
                      02:00 62
                      02:40 54
                      03:06 63
                      03:42 87
                      5:05 193

I um... basically freaked out with the 62, 54, 63. Figuring in error percentages and the conversion rate, I felt like we were dancing right around a point that could spell trouble. Kermit himself was sleeping comfortably on the floor the whole time, going to the backyard once, acting super normal, so I just kept a close eye on him, syrup at the ready.

The common link I have between the 96 on Saturday and the 62 from today are that I left him alone, on both occasions, directly before the outlier low numbers. Saturday only for about 20 minutes before my mother came to stay with him, but today he was on his own completely for a little more than an hour. He's been off of his prozac for a few weeks now, and his anxiety has always been a serious concern. I was with him every minute of the day on Sunday. Super stable.

Can anxiety/panic cause a drop in blood sugar? Or perhaps first cause a spike and then a subsequent drop?

I know 5-7 days is a common adjustment period for a new dose, so maybe I am jumping the gun (again) on looking for a pattern? As much as it was no fun watching his numbers be really high, watching them drop is even scarier.

I am leaning towards leaving his dose at 11 units especially for tonight, since he has tended to run higher at night. Tomorrow again, I can be with him every single minute to see if I can reproduce the stable numbers and also address a low blood sugar issue should it arise. It seems risky to me, but maybe would provide good information, and I also really don't want to be adjusting dosage on a whim without more experience under my belt. The vet's office also will be open tomorrow and for sure I want to consult there.

Any thoughts?

Comment

oh yes anxiety and panic can drop blood sugar my jesse has epilepsy and i have seen it first hand but usually will spike after that . so for her it can be a roller coaster ride

sometimes a dogs situation may dictate on maybe leaving a dog a bit higher like my jesses if left alone during the day . maybe a very active dog . things like that

you maybe able to go with a smaller dose during the day . not unusual to see a dose different from night and day

cant go beyond that 11 units your done raising the dose for now
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I would drop back a half unit, if not a full unit. The meters are more accurate at lower ranges so his numbers may not be as off as you think. This dose may be settling more - the 5-7 day mark is merely a guideline - some dogs continue to drop after that time. You can't count on anxiety not effecting numbers just because you are home and you never know when you may have to leave so keeping the numbers a bit higher allows for anxiety.

The Sunday numbers were lovely. Even if he is actually a bit higher. Hopefully you are a few tweaks from some good numbers.

Comment

Well... I did end up dropping back a unit to 10 last night, as Kermit was 88 on the Relion just before mealtime at 9.

Overnight (unconverted relion readings)

9:45p 115
                            10:30p 130
                            12:00a 138
                            2:43a 175 (he still had to go pee, go figure)
                            8:52a 122 before breakfast at 9, where he got 10 units again

So now today, and luckily I've been able to be with him... he's been right at 98, 99, 105 all day. Even with reducing to 10, it seems like this dose is "settling" awfully quickly? Right now I'm feeling pretty good that I did reduce the dose, who knows what he would have been with 11 units.

I had hoped to hear back from the vet today, but she apparently wasn't able to get to me for whatever reason.

I'm thinking of taking him down to 9 units? Especially if the 12 hour from last injection reading is still around (or under) 100? It seems like his glucose reading should be going up a bit as the insulin loses steam? Though I did just reduce to 10 last night and he has tended to run high at night anyway. Maybe stick with 10 tonight and reduce in the morning if his fasting is low? I really do hate to mess around with his dosing so soon, but if I had to go somewhere today with his levels running so low, I don't know what would have happened.

Any ideas? We are just getting over pancreatitis and another unknown infection involving his lymph nodes, and he is still on antibiotics - but I feel like I'm seeing a whole lot of "response" happen pretty rapidly.

Am I worrying too much about a good thing?

Comment

there is nothing wrong with working backwards reduce a unit if numbers are still at the lower end keep reducing until you see a turn upward then hold

seeing normal blood sugar is unusual . sometime on rare occasions the body is producing its own insulin . possible miss diagnosis .dont want to get your hopes up its very rare but it does happen
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                              X