X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My best Pal, Coke

Changed the thread title as you asked.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
      Changed the thread title as you asked.

Craig
      Thank You Craig
      Dogg!!
      My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day

Comment

OK I got my AlphaTrak2 in the mail today and just got a chance to use it
        Coke is only getting 11 units at 5am & 5pm My 1st reading was 285 @ 8pm tonight She had a Full meal tonight (Yay) I will check Her again in the Morning before Breakfast
        She has Her first week on insulin Vet checkup on Wednesday at 9:30
        What I did was shave a tiny patch on Her one elbow to lance Her and she seems to tolerate that pretty good
        If I can ask where do You Folks get your blood droplet from ?
        Is the elbow an OK place to get it without having some kind of problems down the road ?
        As always Thanks again
        Dogg!!
        My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day

Comment

i use the inner lip just above the canine tooth

yes it seems a bit funky and you would think painful but quite the opposite . very few nerve endings , no hair and my jesse usually gives me a lick after . such a funny dog she is

the 285 is a very good number to start out with but remember its just one number and blood sugar can be quite different at anytime in the day
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi Dogg,

Good job with your first test. I test Lily on the inside of her upper lip with the AT2 lancing device set to 4. She's very good with me rolling up her lip
            Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
            Diabetes: Aug 2013
            Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
            Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I test on the elbow (or I guess you could say the very top pad near his dewclaw. My Gus tolerates it without any problem. That's the only place we've ever tested, going on 2 years in September. I just keep the hair trimmed away from around the pad.
              Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
              10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
                Hi Dogg,

Good job with your first test. I test Lily on the inside of her upper lip with the AT2 lancing device set to 4. She's very good with me rolling up her lip
                Hmmm an adjustable Lancet Your edjumicating me again Mike
                I think I could get a sample from Coke's lip also but I figure I better finesse my technique before I start poking around Her mouth
                What I'm striving for is having a few different places to get the blood so I don't keep poking Her in the same area
                Is there any Problem with me shaving a small clean area on Her elbows (both)
                I figure a small clean patch shouldn't get blood in the little bit of hair Hence less poking

jessie girl I'm all abut the lip just need to get my head around doing it
                Coke is a very passive Pup when it comes time for Myself or Mama to do anything with Her I'm just nervous right now about the lip I got a great sample first poke on Her and would like to think I'm not hurting Her she was real good about it----Except for the beep which I'm turning off
                Dogg!!

Comment

Originally posted by MomofGus View Post
                  I test on the elbow (or I guess you could say the very top pad near his dewclaw. My Gus tolerates it without any problem. That's the only place we've ever tested, going on 2 years in September. I just keep the hair trimmed away from around the pad.
                  Thats what I'm talking about To me it just seems to be a better spot to heal and getting a sample with no pain
                  Today is the 1st poke I did on Her and I'm just feeling like I'm Hurting Her but she didn't even flinch
                  I'm so nervous because I'm going to do the curve testing Wednesday
                  Thanks
                  Dogg!!

Comment

I put a warm washcloth on Daisy's ear near the inside edge, wait a few and use the clicker. She just lays her head on my lap and she's good.

I use a little nose hair shaver (thanks Craig!) to trim her ear hair.

I actually think she likes it.
                    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
                      I put a warm washcloth on Daisy's ear near the inside edge, wait a few and use the clicker. She just lays her head on my lap and she's good.

I use a little nose hair shaver (thanks Craig!) to trim her ear hair.

I actually think she likes it.
                      Thats awesome My Vet had a Tech show me how to do it on the ear and it seemed to me that either she wasn't familiar on how to do it or my Coke's ear was on the tough side
                      I saw on another thread here that putting a flashlight on the outside of the ear is an easy way to find a vein only problem with that is Coke would be chasing Her ear (Hehe)
                      Dogg!!

Comment

Good work Coke!

I've always tested on Annie's ear flap. Her mouth is too small for my hands, and she doesn't like anyone messing with her feet. In fact, I've tested basically only on her left ear because we both become confused if we try something different, like her right ear.

Craig
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                          Good work Coke!

I've always tested on Annie's ear flap. Her mouth is too small for my hands, and she doesn't like anyone messing with her feet. In fact, I've tested basically only on her left ear because we both become confused if we try something different, like her right ear.

Craig
                          OK another question How many times could You possibly lance the same body part doing a curve test ?
                          Dogg!!

Comment

I use the big vein that runs along the lower edge of his ears. Have to keep it shaved. Lancing clicker dialed to 4. I hold his ear between my hands for 30 seconds to warm it, for hopefully better blood flow.
                            If you hold a flashlight behind the ear you can see the vein.
                            I do curves by just moving along the ear and changing ears. I can lance 10 spots along each ear if I wanted.
                            Last edited by Raysaint; 07-31-2017, 07:07 PM.
                            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
                              I use the big vein that runs along the lower edge of his ears. Have to keep it shaved. Lancing clicker dialed to 4. I hold his ear between my hands for 30 seconds to warm it, for hopefully better blood flow.
                              That makes sense to get it warmed up the blood will definitely flow better
                              I read some people use a warm rag than dry it off real good
                              I'm sure when I quit being such a sissy I'll be trying different spots
                              BTW I'm a Teamster / Biker / Hunter don't tell my friends what a sissy I'm being
                              Dogg!!

Comment

I'm wondering when the peak insulin effectiveness is the way I'm understanding it is around 5-6 hrs is that correct ?
                                Dogg!!

Comment

Working...
                                X