Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Monster Vinny

Our vet often did the same thing early on. Something else to consider. There is venous blood (taken via vein) and capillary blood (how most folks test their dogs - via lancet). Most meters are designed to read capillary blood. So if you were to do a side by side comparison with your meter vs vet's meter - you would want them to draw the blood using a lancet and test it on their meter. Ideally, you'd want to have a large enough drop to test your meter with the same drop of blood.
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
      I feel silly, because I just bought the ReliOn...talk me down from this ledge!
      Nothing silly there! You are just starting your collection. I've said elsewhere, I think the best solution (for Annie & me) is to have both the AlphaTrak and a cheap (strip wise) ReliOn Prime or Confirm.

Craig

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i89t2bo5obiaxx/P5300001.JPG
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I used my ReliOn today at the same time of day that the vet does Teddy's spot BG - 3:00. It read 496. I think I read that you need to add to that because the reliOn runs low? I'm assuming it is lower than the one run at the vet's. Yikes. I had hoped that 8 units would help a bit.

Oh - I did the test at the base of the tail. I had just shaved an area there. He didn't even flinch. Just like you - I tested it on my finger first. Ouch!

Margaret
        Margaret; Teddy is a 10 year old 40 lb. cockapoo; relion-Novolin-N 2x - 17 units; Natural balance fish and sweet potato; blind from cataracts and glaucoma

Comment

Just wanted to say how thankful I am for this website! I have learned so much and haven't been afraid to ask questions of my vet or push when I felt I needed to.

I have also been shocked at Vinny and how he has reacted to me poking and prodding him...he's allowed me to do pretty much whatever I want to him! Maybe I'm just doing it with a little more confidence because of all of you! Maybe it's the green bean treats he's getting after I poke him!

BTW...I found an AlphaTrak 2 on Ebay for a great price...I couldn't pass it up, so we'll see! I guess I am starting my collection!

Mel
          Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

it sounds like you guys are settling into a routine

dogs love to please if given the opportunity

jesse gives me kisses after i test her and wags her tail such funny spirits
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I am going to try to do a curve today. <Crossing my fingers> Every time I have tried to do a blood sample since I bought the ReliOn Prime, somehow it's gotten messed up, a different human error every time!

So, today, I've already messed this up in a way...I didn't do a test before I fed Vinny. Oh, well...I will continue on with the rest of the day and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Mel
              Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Ah don't worry about missing the fasting test....there's always another one to do 12 hours later....and you can do a few in between anyway and see how he's doing. It's all good practice!
                Like you, I have been happily surprised at how compliant our dog is with all that we do to him. At first I used to steel myself eg to test on his lip, telling myself that it was to help save his life and he just had to put up with it, but gradually I realised that most of the reluctance was on my part and he didn't really mind any of it, so long as he got his little treat afterwards.
                In some ways it can even make you closer to your dog which is a nice side-effect.
                Hope it goes well today
                Antonia
                Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Hi there, If you are able to do the curve another day I would postpone. For Ruby the fasting number was really important as she used to get a really big food rise and I wanted to track that.

As Antonia says maybe just some practice today to take some of the tension out of it.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Don't know about where you live, or what you may have planned, but I don't plan to test Annie other than the regular fasting tests. We are having a family picnic that will be a bunch of people and two dogs in Annie's "space". She won't be too happy with all the commotion, except if someone throws a ball for her. Then the fireworks later this evening will really get her worked up. Today will not be a normal, typical day for her! Then again, testing is always fun and she might appreciate the few quiet minutes

Craig
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Today is pretty much like any Saturday around here...just working in the yard and hanging out. No real excitement so I have done 3 tests. Vinny was fed at 6am and being so tired, I just forgot I was going to do a curve today. So, here are his numbers and I'm a bit concerned, although I keep telling myself I'm doing this with a ReliOn meter and so his numbers are probably higher...

8am 156
                      10am 118
                      12pm 69

What do you think?

Comment

My conversion would make that 69 about 104, a good number. Guess I wouldn't take corrective action until Annie went below 60ish on the Prime (90ish true). Of course that's based on my conversion.

Have you thought about the $60 AlphaTrak2 promo?

Craig

Comment

Actually Craig, I should be getting my AlphaTrak2 tomorrow!

I'll let you know what the next number is at 2...corrective action being some Karo syrup or carb?

Comment

That's a "every dog is different" sort of thing. With Annie (small pup), I would just give 5-6 pieces of her kibble to stop a drop. For years I'd do the yo-yo thing: she would go a bit low, I'd give honey + food, and two hours later she would be pushing 300 this would be something you will have to learn on your own because Vinny will react in his own way. Sorry

Craig

Comment

Well, we just came in to check on Vinny and he was very wobbly. I told my daughter we needed to do a check right then and it had only dropped to 66, but because of him being wobbly I did give him a little Karo syrup. Maybe since he's a big dog he's reacting to the drop this way? Right now I'm wishing I had that AlphaTrak today!

We're going to stay in and watch him for a bit now to see how he does.

Comment

Hi!

You will definitely want to lower his next insulin dose.
                                Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Working...
                                X