Trifexis - Scary new reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trifexis - Scary new reports

In the past several days, I have seen many reports from legitimate sources about dogs becoming very ill or dying after a dose of Trifexis. My vet has prescribed it for Maggie but with these reports, I just can't give it to her. It is very scary stuff IMO and seems like more than coincidence. Does anyone use it here?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...rifexis/nb5B4/
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Re: Trifexis - Scary new reports

We have been using it with Jack with no problems, and his vet clinic is standing behind it. I haven't had a chance to follow the recent reports, just know that his vet, who we saw last week, feels there is not a problem.

Natalie

Comment

It's not here in canada. I wouldn't give this to Riles given china's reputation.

I got the same feelings Amy. I wouldn't consider giving it to my dog given these statistics.

Google saves dogs lives but oh yea my vet says its okay trifexis. I always google what the reviews are before giving my dog anything, trust in my vets knowledge only goes so far.

2200 reports the drug causing dogs to vomit
      31 deaths,
      600 cases of lethargy, reports of seizures, thats one per month since the drug hit the market

Their Chinese suppliers had no issues. (They also cant find why jerky treats are killing dogs, inspections done in china, nothing confirmed)

Trifexis contains 2 drugs
      Spinosad is from the usa
      Milbenmycib made in china
      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I was talking to one of my friends who has a vet clinic last night and she said that for some reason, the little dogs are reacting more to it than the larger dogs. She is currently only prescribing it to larger dogs until the company addresses the complaints.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

My boss's dogs (French bulldogs) both threw up after taking Trifexis. My vet tried to push it while we were there for the dogs' annual visit, but I said no because they don't even like taking the Comfortis. I always have to crush the Comfortis and mix it with something like cottage cheese so the dogs will eat it. Even then, they don't always eat all of it. I didn't want them not taking all of their heart work medication, so I just stuck with the Heartgard & Comfortis. I'm glad I did now, because I've been reading some scary things about Trifexis lately.
          Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I am not promoting Trifexis by any means.

Is Sentinel is back on the market? That's what we were using and only switched to Trifexis when it wasn't available. Jack has been on Trifexis a while - a year probably.

But the challenge in this case and so many cases is that the owner reports aren't necessarily reliable either.

Rarely is the cause of death actually identified via necropsy, and while the folks here at this forum tend to be pretty knowledgeable about medical issues, diagnostic tests, etc., many many individuals are not.

This same problem is why I don't put much stock in client reviews of veterinarians online. Too often people don't understand what really happened with their dog or cat. It may have been absolutely impossible for the vet to have saved their pet but they don't realize that... And a lot of pets get little or no medical treatment and may have had problems brewing for years prior to their dogs' acute illnesses.

We might have blamed all kinds of things for Chris' abrupt development of internal bleeding if we hadn't stumblied on his advanced cancer a couple of weeks before that. And it wasn't for lack of looking that the cancer was found late. So he had more diagnostics than most dogs and still only learned of the cancer after it was too late to do anything about it.

I wish it wasn't so freaking complicated... everything feels like a roll of the dice with your dog's well-being and possible survival at stake.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
            X