Operation Christian Gray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Christian Gray

I have a kitten hiding in my garden shed, and I am determined to get him. He is gray and very feral. I thought I would start a thread to document his capture.

He was first spotted by my cat, Inky, who ended up in a staring match with him through a chain link fence. That was Friday. Yesterday, in the early morning, I went out with my dog, cat, and I looked for the kitten. I didn't see him at first but then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw him slink into my garden shed.

I got some food, put it in the doorway and sat about 20 feet away. Took a while, but he showed up and ate it. When I tried to get closer, he shied and disappeared into the shed.

He appeared again in the evening but was still really skittish.

This morning, I gave him more food and waited for him to show. It took me a while to realize it, but he was just in the shadow watching me. Finally he came forward and ate. He freaked when I moved and went back into the shed.

I decided to suss him out of the shed and moved a few things around and found him on a table. Tried to get closer, but he really freaked and ran out of the shed and into the yard, gone!

I went about my business, convinced he wouldn't come back. But after seeing a movie, I went to check the bowl of food and it was empty! So he was back in the shed, and Operation Christian Gray was back on!

I put more food out but wasn't able to see him again. My neighbors little dog started barking, either at me or at the kitty, and ruined any chance he would come out. But now at least I know he is still around.

Btw, if I catch him, Im thinking of calling him Christian Gray (a joke), or the Gray Ghost, or Casper.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Re: Operation Christian Gray

Hope you catch him!
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks! Checked the food bowl just a few minutes ago: empty. . That cat is days away from becoming mine all mine. .
      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

can't wait to see how many days it takes you to charm him! Cebe, the Kitty Whisperer!
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Good luck with that! You might end up with an outside cat if he's really feral but you never know!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

I'd prefer inside kitty but as long as he knows where home is, I will be happy.

Right now, home appears to be the shed. But he wouldn't show himself this morning. I put food out and waited, braving mosquitoes and the baleful looks of my other animals who don't get why I keep going out without them.

Kitty never showed while I waited, so I closed the shed door to allow only a crack (big enough for him to get in and out, but too small for Zoe to get in). I then set up the sprinkler. After 15 min, I moved the sprinkler, and peeked in to see the status of the food- all gone. So, he's in there.

We are expecting record heat or a tropical storm (weather folks don't know) and I put water out too. I will just continue to feed him am and pm and hopefully he will associate me with food and good things and come out.

Comment

I love the name Christina Gray - hope he doesn't end up so mercurial though
              Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

Good luck with you mission!...

I have a feral cat that has been living in a kiity cathouse on my deck for almost 3 years now, coming for meals and sunbathing close by but with never allowing me within several feet of her.
                I consider her (Tammy) mine and imagine she considers this home too.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I have a coworker who catches ferral cats, and gives them to a local NO KILL shelter, and they find them homes after a bit. Especially if they are kittens.

There are some traps that she uses, baited with food and water. I believe they are called Havahart.

On a side note; I had ferral cat once who adopted us (named Wheezer). Fed him outside, and he ended up bring over his 'girl' (we named her Hissy Hussy... as she only hissed at us), who then had 2 more cats... Lefty, Righty. It can start getting out of hand!

Good luck!
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I will fix this cat, no matter if he is outside or in. . A friend has a trap I can use if I need it.

But he is young enough that if I can get him to trust me a bit, I might be able to shake that feral nature outta him.

Comment

my MIL got 3 feral kittens to come to her. They ran from the rest of us but she was the patient person with the food. I think she'd sit & read a book by their area. you can do this!
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Cebe View Post
                        I will fix this cat, no matter if he is outside or in. . A friend has a trap I can use if I need it.

But he is young enough that if I can get him to trust me a bit, I might be able to shake that feral nature outta him.
                        'Fixing' is a must for sure. I have a humane trap which I was able to use for my 'feral' Tammy so no new surprises for me. ;-)

Most all of my cats were 'strays' at one time which I found here and there.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                          my MIL got 3 feral kittens to come to her. They ran from the rest of us but she was the patient person with the food. I think she'd sit & read a book by their area. you can do this!
                          Yesterday, I sat and read 50 Shades of Gray while waiting for him to show. . Thus, the name....

Comment

Originally posted by Cebe View Post
                            Yesterday, I sat and read 50 Shades of Gray while waiting for him to show. . Thus, the name....
                            ha ha ha! I am the only woman in America who has not read that yet

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                              ha ha ha! I am the only woman in America who has not read that yet
                              It's nothing but a trashy romance novel, and having been a connoisseur of romance novels, I am cracking up at all of these women (and men) reading it.

On a beach trip with friends in May, we took turns reading it aloud and cracking up at the horrible writing and story, but I must admit, as I'm an a romance addict, the story did catch me, so I'm reading the second and third just to know how the story ends.

(p.s. I say the writing is horrible, and it is, but god bless that author because she is raking in the dough, horrible writing and all. Laughing all the way to the bank. Good for her!).

Comment

Working...
                              X