What am I doing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What am I doing???

Don't worry, Debbie! Sounds like your vet is on the ball! I think what he is suggesting is quite a good route to go. He is right that it could be a number of things but starting at the beginning is the right thing to do. She is young and regardless of her liver values, she's healthy! That's a big plus! She sounds like she's got a good spirit! So hang in there and take a deep breath! She'll be ok! Lots of hugs your way!
    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

How are you and Pia doing, Debbie?
      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Thanks for checking in, Holli.

Well, we headed out at 630am on Tuesday to pick her up. Vet put her on amoxicillan for 2 weeks and we are to return for retesting Nov. 8. I brought a stool sample with me to check for parasites and I called today for the results. Receptionist said Roundworms. I asked if that could cause the high liver values and she said the vet said yes more than likely. She does eat a lot too, so maybe it's because of the worms??? She got a dewormer the day I got her, that was about 3 weeks ago. They said she'll get another when we go back.

So I need confirmation from whomever has gone through this worm thing. Could this cause the high liver values? She doesn't have any other symptoms, playful, cuddly, happy.

Now, me being a hypochondriac, I think I got them too from her. I was reading the symptoms and now I have almost all of them .

As far as disposable of litter remains, do I dump the whole box out now every time she goes and bleach it and add new litter? Or just keep using the litter-genie to put the waste in? I scoop every time she goes.

I really hope she'll be ok because she is just such a good girl, she's really like a puppy. She loves being cuddled, begs for her food, follows us allover etc.

Here's a pic from this morning.

I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

Glad you have her home with you. Decker had roundworms when we got him. First week one of his stools looked like a big pile of spaghetti - grossed me right out as most of them were still moving! Cleared up with treatment and nobody else was infected - human nor animal. Seems the eggs can be contagious though - so frequently cleaning of her litter box is probably a good idea.
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Don't think you need to dump the whole box every time she goes but would probably be a good idea to dump it every other day or so and bleach it out. Mostly it's a matter of keeping things clean...washing your hands, keeping the box scooped as much as possible between cleanings, etc. You might try just putting in a inch or two of litter then you CAN dump it more frequently without breaking the bank. Worms are pretty common with cats (and dogs). And yes...they could have affected the liver values very much! Especially if she had a high number of them in her system. Hugs!
            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

I am not a cat person but Pia is one cute kitty.

Cleo also had roundworms and the vet gave us 2 pills. I agree that the first pile or two of poop are not pretty or I should say pretty disgusting. I washed all the blankets that she lays on in hot water, disinfected the leather couch, vacuum the other one.

Once you know what they look like, they are pretty easy to spot. I'm like you, I became paranoid

Louise

Comment

Thanks everyone, she's doing good.

I have never seen worms in her poop, that's why I'm surprised by the results. Our puppy german shephard had terrible worms, looked like a pile of spaghetti.

I was worried about her giving me worms before just from cleaning the litter box, and this is what I caught the other night when coming down the steps:

Needless to say, I now use a closed cup! I'm just hoping her results come back normal next and she can be spayed.
                I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

Debbie... how cute is that pic!!

Do you think she was thirsty?
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

No, her water bowl is pretty much full everyday, just a little missing. She does it all the time now. I think she just likes it because it's different. No extra pees, maybe 3-4 a day. My sister said he cat does the same thing so she carries to cups with her. Believe me, I've been monitoring the water and pee output for irregular signs .

What I have noticed over the past few days is that she pees about 3 full times, bigger clumps, and maybe 2 small, ping pong sized clumps and she's licking her "special place". She's already on antibiotics for the possible infection. Could she be in heat? Well we have an appointment next week so that's on my question list.

She begs for food too. It's really like having a puppy! When we eat she runs and tries to stand on the table to check out our food and steal it. She stole a cheese curl the other day and was licking at it.
                    Last edited by nibbles-mommy; 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Too funny, Debbie! My cats do that too. Rebecca will leave her half filled drinks on the table and we often find one of the cats helping themselves. They like the milk from her cereal bowl as well. She gets totally grossed out but I think it's funny. Bet Pia would love drinking out of the bathtub or sink faucet too - lol!

Comment

She is so cute! And clearly has a tortie personality! Hope the antibiotics and worming fix up her liver values.

Natalie

Comment

Welcome to the World of cats......i have two of them.....they both like my water...Even IF their water is fresher then water from my glass....or the ice...or the water on the outside of my glass is better. One cat prefers to drink out of the dogs dish and fights him to be first...he is a Shepard! She wins. Cats are cats....full of personality and fun...they won't sit when you tell them...they will look at you with a face of disgust when you tell them to get off the table. They will meow at three in the morning because the food dish is not full enough..even though it is more then half full...at least my one cat does. But they come and purr and snuggle on a cold day and they will love you for just doing the minimal. Enjoy the kitty!!!! And all her catness. As for the worms they go quick and like dogs usually caused by ingesting fleas.....her drinking your water won't give you worms...but it is not a lease not idea when you know how well and often they clean their behind. As for claws and furniture. My cats are indoor kittties and I clip their claws...with help. Use lots of treats and they will not mind. The furniture part...I heard the tape works good....a well placed squirt from a water gun is also a good deterrent when possible. There is a spray called catitude for cats that scratch for marking territory. It helped me. If she starts to go into heat...you will know it...she will be very friendly and I mean friendly....she will take a position for mating....the little purry noises are cute...but the yowling will drive you up the wall....and in case you might not know...once they go into heat...they will keeping going into heat every couple of weeks until they are fixed...BUT there is a kitty bc pill which will help stop the awful noises until she can get fixed. I have been there and have done that so to say. I did not read all the posts to your thread here so maybe I have repeated some info but I hope it helps. Meow meow
                          Mojo is a 10 year old white Shepard. Diagnosed in 2010.
                          Using Caninsulin 12 units and 175 grams Royal Canine Diabetic twice a day. Blind for three years but he is doing great!

Comment

Thanks CeeGee!
                            We put the heat on last night and it's forced heat so blows out of the wall vent. Well she flipped!!!! She refuses to walk by the vent or anywhere near the basement when the heat is on. At first she was howling like she was hurt when I put it on. I went to find her and she was coward in a corner. I had to pick her up and pet her to calm down. She'll jump from 100 feet and free fall in the air, but she's afraid of air blowing out of the wall?????

I have to say that she is just such a good girl. We just finished her meds and twice a day I'd put her in the counter and she licked the med as I squirted in her mouth. I sit on the couch and she sits on my lap and I clip her nails. No fights, no bites or scratches. She still hasn't touched the furniture, but she likes the screens. I've tried to squirt her but she's always standing in front of an electrical outlet when I catch her so can't squirt her .

Now, with my luck, probably a month from now she'll turn into a homicidal lunatic that bites and scratches everything.

Her appointment is this week and I'm really praying the tests come back normal and she's ok.

Comment

hilarious that she is afraid of the air, poor baby. My Dad lives in a really old house with floor vents. His previous cat got to where he would lay on them for warmth!
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Took pia back for her follow-up tests and the worms are gone and her ALT value went from 696 to 152 normal range 29-100! Yay, the antibiotics worked. Vet wasn't in, so he'll call tomorrow and hopefully we can move forward with the spay and shots.

She's getting a little fresh and is up all night jumping on us. Joey has a Cpap machine for sleeping and he wakes up gasping because she unplugs it and he can't breathe, then she hides under the bed waiting for him to get up and jumps at him. If it wasn't happening at 4am, I'd be laughing harder.

She's also ripping the wallpaper in the bedroom. She jumps at the walls really high and it tears. I've been cutting her nails weekly but they 're sharp. Every night when I go to bed she lays on me and I pet her until she falls asleep. Last night she grabbed my arm with her paws and stared at my arm like it was a steak and looked like she was gonna sink her teeth in. As she went in for the kill, I screamed at her to get down. It really freaked me out, like she was possessed. She came back up and started licking me. now i'm wondering if she isn't kissing me, but tasting me.

I hope she isn't gonna be a mean cat .

Comment

Working...
                                X