Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Abby's Story

Patty,

After doing some research and reading your post and links... I feel much better. I am going to hold off on the sodium, and do a wait and see.

She was totally stressed, and took the urine sample after her ordeal.

Her urine was probably undiluted, because she did not drink much water and was not hydrated. I know this because she was quite thirsty when we got back to the car, and I gave her a drink.
    Her specific gravity was 1.041 with a range of 1.015 - 1.050. It did not fall out of the range of normal, but within the range she was definitely not diluted, as she was on the higher end of the range.

I have been checking her ph levels and they seem to be on the acid side on my strips when she goes out first thing in the am

Yes she was quite stressed and bg levels where out of whack, due to us being out of town for the weekend.

I think all things considered, I am going to do nothing in regards to the high protein and the ph levels.

I have added the milk thistle back in and see if this helps.

Thanks, Patty...

Barb
    Last edited by Abby's Mom; 05-30-2013, 06:44 AM.
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Belated anniversary to Abby!! And of course to you Barb for getting her through the last 2 years. Love the new avator she is so cute. Sorry I can't help on the crystals or ph problems. Hope you get it sorted soon. If Anyone can you can Barb . Congrats again on doing such a great job with Abby and wishing you many more years together.

Hugs Anne-Marie and CJ
      Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Wait and see sounds good, Barb. It will be interesting to compare her next workup.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Barb - checking in on Abby. Hope all is well?

Comment

Hi Pam,

Thanks for checking on us. Abby is doing well, all things considered.

We have been traveling.... and even though she is wonderful when we do, I think she loves getting home just as much as we do. In addition, she had a rabies shot a few weeks ago, and I think between the additional excitement and the rabies shot she has been a little lethargic..... but if you saw her this morning, she would have made a liar out of me. She has her moments.

In a few weeks, I am going to take another urine sample to the vet (AM one)... and then in 6 months another blood test.

I'm going to check on your thread and see how Pip is doing.

Barb
            Last edited by Abby's Mom; 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Hey Barb - have you thought about antibiotic cream? I'm just wondering if you know something about that? I keep forgetting to ask my Vet about it. Luckily UTI's are not something he seems particularly vulnerable to. Glad Abby seems better!

We're hanging in there same as you!

Comment

Oh I posted this to Abby's thread instead of Ruby's. Sorry Barb! I'm so absent minded lately! I have to write everything down including right foot, now left foot, now right foot.....

I really am glad Abby is holding her own though!

Comment

LOL, funny Pam.

Hope you've had good travels, Barb.
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Just an update. Abby has had some digestive issues lately, and I have been attempting to find the root cause of it.

Abby never has any digestive issues, and since on HK she has always been consistent and 'solid'.

About two weeks ago, her stool became loose... not really diarrhea, but had some mucous. I did some reading and it appeared to be in the lower intestines.... but anyway, I decided to change her food over. I had her on some Turkey and Brown Rice (her BG levels where great... I kept her at the same calories), and then switched her to Embark. I thought perhaps she was on the Zeal a little longer than what she should be. I will switch her back to Zeal, when she has been on Embark for a while. I also added some probiotics (found some that does not raise her BG levels). It has taken a while, but it seems like she is much better. She felt fine, continue to eat....didn't like the Turkey and rice all that much (funny), but she seems to have firmer stools, and doesn't seem to go that often.

She seems to be settling in with the Embark, just as well. I was so afraid to move her to a different food, because we had some good numbers on the Zeal. It is a relief that the transition was not so bad.

Barb

Comment

we see that mucus stuff once in a while

glad the change went well always a bit scary doing a major food change

glad the numbers held in there she has pretty good regulation

i am glad you were able to nip it in the but fairly quick barb
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Glad she's doing better with the switch, Barb. What's the probiotic you're using? Just curious.

Comment

I'm glad the switch went so smoothly Barb. About time something did!
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks everyone.... She is back to normal. Patty....The probiotic I am using is the Animal Essentials... plant Enzymes and Probiotics.

I could not believe how well she did switching to the Embark was, and BG levels are holding steady, however, I have removed the millet....and I have been using the phyllsium husk has a regulator.

She always keeps me on my toes

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post

She always keeps me on my toes

Barb
                              Yeah, but you do such a great job adjusting to whatever she throws at you.

Tara
                              Tara in honor of Ruby.
                              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Tara,

She sure does. I am glad to see you here.. How are you doing.

Barb

Comment

Working...
                                X