Happy Ninth Anniversary to K9diabetes.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Ninth Anniversary to K9diabetes.com

Nine years ago yesterday, this forum and the associated website went live.

I imagine some people - vets in particular perhaps - doubt when I say I've watched literally hundreds, more than a thousand dogs, go through diabetes since I joined an older forum for canine diabetics in 2004.

But we have more than 4,000 members here alone. And I have corresponded with a relatively small subset of several hundred of those people by email over the years.

This forum (with background from the prior one) is like a comprehensive longitudinal study of canine diabetes - providing information on, among other things:

- how important specific diets are (not)

- how long dogs tend to live with diabetes after diagnosis (depends on how old they are when diagnosed as it generally doesn't affect their lifespan)

- whether insulins generally are effective in dogs (N definitely is highly effective for dogs in general)

- how good the blood sugar control needs to be (many dogs who never see blood sugar below 200 or 250 do just fine as long as it doesn't go above about 350 regularly)

- the irreplaceable value of home blood sugar testing

It is a joy to share my life with all these wonderful dogs and their kind and devoted caretakers.

Natalie

Re: Happy Ninth Anniversary to K9diabetes.com

Natalie... Happy anniversary and thank you for setting up and maintaining this amazing forum
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I'm so thankful for this forum and all the wealth of knowledge it has provided me. Thank you, Natalie for starting this wonderful site.
      Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
      10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

you and this forum have been such a literal lifesaver Natalie. Thank you so much! Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Natalie,

Your forum gives us so much hope that we can handle this disease in our beloved pups. I know when I joined I was in a panic, but this forum and the wonderful people who joined kept my sanity, and gave me the support when I had to say goodbye.

You do a wonderful job in keeping the spirit of our pups going on and on.

Thank you,
          Barb
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

i think the forum gives that chance at looking through different lenses as nothing is set in stone that no idea is frowned upon and given an opportunity for success

many unorthodox routines that may have no got a start without the forum because this place gives the chance for understanding. that is its strength of this community . it does not happen in the lab but the place where the struggle begins and ends

thanks Natalie for that opportunity
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Kudos to you, Natalie. There is no telling how many canine lives have been saved, in addition to the many who had their quality of life greatly improved, because this forum exists.

I know in my case, like most, I was overwhelmed when Otis was diagnosed back in 2010. After visiting the forum a couple times I said "We can do this, Otis, .... you'll be OK." Well, we did, and he was OK.

Thanks much for all you've done here.
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Happy Anniversary, Natalie. I can hardly believe it's been 9 years. Then I think about joining the other canine diabetes forum back in 2004 and how time just marches on. The 'boys' I adopted to keep Criss company are now 14 and 15 years old and in the twilight of their lives.

Thanks for all your support over those years.
                Hugs,
                Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

Happy Anniversary! Thank goodness for this site. I am a newbie and it has been tremendously helpful, especially the advice on how to gather pee! I am eternally grateful for all the help and it is very comforting to have the support on this journey.

Comment

Happy Anniversary Natalie and thank you for this forum! I know Scooter and I would have been lost without your help and guidance. We took our vet a birthday cupcake with a candle one year and when she made her wish she said "I wish all of my diabetic patients were as well regulated and doing as well as Scooter." I give all the credit to this forum and the knowledge you bestowed on us. Thank you

Comment

Our family would also like to give thanks for this forum. I seriously doubt we could have figured out the testing without this site. Every extra day we get with Snickers is a success! Happy Anniversary indeed
                      Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Happy Anniversary Natalie!!
                        I'm so happy you started this forum!! It brings us an amazing sense of support and community to all of us who had to face canine diabetes. I know that without this forum my Bazzle boy would have crossed the rainbow bridge much sooner. Thank you so much for bringing our forum family together, to share in freak outs, laughs, and of course the inevitable tears.
                        Sending warm thoughts to you, Chris, and my Bazzle boy.
                        THANK YOU!!
                        Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Happy Anniversary!!

I'm new here and my fur baby was diagnosed in January of this year. The other members have helped us so much with any questions I have and I don't know what I would do without them! OXOXO
                          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Happy Anniversary, Natalie! Time just flies. This forum is such a blessing to so many who feel lost with nowhere to go for information. So many inspiring stories of peopl and their dogs are here to help so many. I know it has been a labor of love and I appreciate all you have done!
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Happy Anniversary from me, too, on behalf of all the staff at k9cushings, and all our members who have been helped here throughout these years!!!

Natalie, you've been such a firm friend and strong support to us all. Many, many thanks to you and to all your members. May K9D share many more anniversaries to come.

Marianne

Comment

Working...
                              X