No announcement yet.

Lucy, our rescued cattle dog, is an angel... April 21, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

OK. I've added about 1/4 cup Kahoots & backed off the SD a little. So she's getting about 1 1/4 cup Kahoots with about 1 1/4 cup SD (Light & W-D mixed) twice a day.

Today's testing is kind of out the window. I tried to inject her while she was on the couch & she gave a jerk & some of the insulin didn't make it into her.

No idea how much was lost, but I'm pretty sure some of it did go in. Should I test her later today?

hehe.... finally got Lucy for my Avatar. "Luceeeeeee! You got some 'splaineeng to doooooo!"

Rick
    Last edited by Fishslayer; 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

You can test her if you like, but because Lucy got only part of a shot, I wouldn't try basing anything important on the results you get today.

Testing might let you try to estimate about how much insulin Lucy got. BTW-if it looks like Lucy missed quite a bit of this shot, you might find that her bg's will run high possibly for a day or two. Sticking with the schedule--same number of units after the two meals--should get anything that's messed up right again.

All of us have had this happen at one time or another. It didn't mean that our dogs didn't get regulated or if they were regulated, that we had to start all over again with that. The good news is that if you stay with what you've been doing, while it's upsetting at the time, it won't do any permanent harm at all.

Kathy

Comment

That's what I figured. I'll just keep doing things the same, except that I'll keep a stricter routine. I always inject her in one of three places. The couch isn't one of them.

I had an idea this was going to happen when her energy level started getting better. Cattle Dogs generally do NOT like sitting still.

WooHoo! Her weight at the vet this AM was 31.5#!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Fishslayer View Post
          hehe.... finally got Lucy for my Avatar. "Luceeeeeee! You got some 'splaineeng to doooooo!"

Rick
          Love the avatar! Y'know, it just occurred to me that since you are Rick(y) and and she is Lucy (aka Lucie), together, you are Rick(y) and Lucy! Don't know why I never thought of that before!

And do you know that we actually have a dog here on the message board whose name is Ricky Ricardo? Yes, really!!! We do!!!

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31

Comment

"Baby. I am NOT from Havana!"

<Hoping they've seen "Blazing Saddles.">

Rick

Comment

Rick, this happened to me a few times at the beginning, it'll all work out,

"Oh Lucyyyyyy" LOL

Dolly
              Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Her BG tonight was only 385. Either I didn't miss a lot or the insulin depot was well stocked.

Tonight she was in her usual place & just layed there while I gave her injection. Dogs really are creatures of habit. I tried to take her BG once in not the usual place & she wasn't havein' any. Probly thought maybe she might not get her meal if she was in the wrong place!

I'm really stoked that she's starting to gain weight. Only 1.5# in a month, but it's amazing how much healthier she looks. The bones don't poke out on her hips & her ribs are starting to not cast shadows. Her coat is shiny & she smells a lot nicer. Her waist is starting to thicken a bit, too.

Rick

Comment

I'm so happy about the weight gain!! Now that she's getting more insulin, she should be able to gain back her weight a lot faster.

Comment

Everything sounds good Rick !
                    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

• Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

Rick posted some new pictures of Lucy on the ACD forum, which is members only, so thought I'd put a copy of them here.

Here's the text he's thinking of putting with Lucy on her Petfinder listing and he welcomed suggestions there... not sure if there is a limit to how much he can write:

Lucy Needs a Special Forever Home

Lucy is a 7 YO female Australian Cattle Dog. She has diabetes and is losing her sight.

Lucy was put on Craigslist when she was diagnosed and given 30 days or she would be PTS. A group of us decided to give her another chance. Lucy survived the Paradise fire in 2003, has scars from a dog attack and she will survive this.

Lucy is happy in her crate, is housetrained, does well with children & other dogs, and completely ignores our two cats. She is also very docile while taking her blood glucose tests & her insulin injections. She walks well on a leash but must be given consideration due to her failing sight.

Rick

Comment

Other three photos:

Comment

Here's the rewrite of the text...

Lucy, A Special Dog Needs a Special Forever Home

Lucy is a 7 YO female Australian Cattle Dog. She has diabetes and is losing her sight due to diabetes induced cataracts. She is adjusting well, however and may be a good candidate for surgery to restore her sight. She presently navigates our yard & house very well.

Lucy was put on Craigslist when she was diagnosed and given 30 days or she would be PTS. A group of us decided to give her another chance. Lucy survived the Paradise fire in 2003, has scars from a dog attack and she will survive this.

Lucy is a very loving lap dog. She LOVES to snuggle with her human. She is happy in her crate, is housetrained, does well with children & other dogs, and completely ignores our two cats. She is also very docile while taking her blood glucose tests & her insulin injections. She walks well on a leash but must be given consideration due to her failing sight.

Lucy will be spayed before adoption.

Rick

Comment

• Lucy Update

Went by the vet today, weighed Lucy & dropped off her BG numbers. She's 31# still.

Just talked to the vet & we are upping her Vetsulin to 10 IU x twice daily.

Here are her numbers for the last 10 days on 9 IU x twice daily.

2/11/09 0741 280

2/10/09 1938 302
                            2/10/09 0759 290 Keta Diastix@ 1600 500-1000/Ketones Negative

2/09/09 1941 334
                            2/09/09 0725 295

2/08/09 1926 304
                            20/8/09 0729 318 Ketadiastix @ 1230 500-1000/Ketones Negative

2/07/09 1930 238
                            2/07/09 0730 244 Ketadiastix @ 1230 500-1000/Ketones Negative

2/06/09 1938 290
                            2/06/09 0733 294

2/05/09 1934 254
                            2/05/09 0734 352 Ketadiastix @ 1230 500-1000/Ketones Negative

2/04/09 1921 382
                            2/04/09 0735 248 Ketadiastix @ 1230 500-1000/Ketones Negative

2/03/09 1943 169
                            2/03/09 0718 210

2/02/09 1931 183
                            2/02/09 0731 256

2/01/09 1925 193
                            2/01/09 0728 288

Rick

Comment

Rick,

There's good news in the fact that Lucy held her own with the weight. Though she didn't gain, she didn't lose either. I think with going to the 10 units twice daily, you'll be even closer to getting Lucy "there'!

Kathy

Comment

Started the 10 IU x twice daily last night. Her BG this AM was 189 & she was rarin' to go this AM.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X