Needle gauge...does it matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle gauge...does it matter?

I've been using 31 gauge needles for the 2+ years we've been doing insulin shots and I notice I accidentally bought 30 gauge last night. I forgot the bring the empty bag like I always do and saw "purple box" and thought it was right.

Everything else is the same as usual (short needle, u100, capacity, etc.). Is this a big deal? Or should I go back and exchange it for 31? My understanding is it is just a slightly "thicker" needle, but other than potential comfort issues, I'm not sure why I'd want 31 over 30. Thanks.

Re: Needle gauge...does it matter?

Originally posted by Jinxie View Post
    I've been using 31 gauge needles for the 2+ years we've been doing insulin shots and I notice I accidentally bought 30 gauge last night. I forgot the bring the empty bag like I always do and saw "purple box" and thought it was right.

Everything else is the same as usual (short needle, u100, capacity, etc.). Is this a big deal? Or should I go back and exchange it for 31? My understanding is it is just a slightly "thicker" needle, but other than potential comfort issues, I'm not sure why I'd want 31 over 30. Thanks.
    Annie doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference. We also usually get the 31 gauge, but every once in a while we bring home the 30s. 31 is slightly thinner than the 30s, and I THINK I sometimes slightly bend the 31s, but have never had any real problem.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

30 should be fine. I use 31 gauge now,but have used 30 with no problem..
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Comfort thing, for my dog I learned to get the smallest I could. I felt better about it and i'm pretty sure she did too.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I bought them at Costco, so I think I will just try to swap them to avoid any discomfort. Bags are sealed, so not sure why it'd be an issue.

Comment

Fyi,
            Don't think they will return strips,needles,anything blood related..
            Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Just bought a box of syringes at my local Walmart. Second time is a row they didn't have the 31G, had to get the 30G. NO PROBLEM, Annie doesn't mind.

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
              X