Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Yikes!

So Annie had the growth near her eye removed yesterday. I fed a reduced meal last night (about ˝ normal), and about ˝ insulin. Her BG tested at 273 this morning which wasn't bad concidering what she went through yesterday and the guess at food and insulin.

Here's the problem. I fed & injected normally this morning and did a random test at 3:30 (+9 hours) and she tested 441! I guess I'll repeat tonight and then do a curve tomorrow. To be honest, the injection this morning didn't "feel" right. It felt like I was poking the needle into a hard spot.

Her affected eye looks much nicer than it has in years. So I'm also wondering if an insulin reduction (even with the recent 441) might be needed? The affected eye had been a little "yucky" (non-scientific term) and now looks clear. Guess time will tell .

Craig

ps. The vet was happy that Annie actually gained a pound since last year.
    Last edited by CraigM; 10-13-2016, 04:35 PM.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

thats a good question craig could annie need a lower dose with the eye cleared up . I think you have raised annie's dose maybe that was the cause but like you said its all speculation

testing will help

glad the eye looks better
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Great news on the eye! Waiting to hear your determination on the high B/G.
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING to keep things interesting!

I was happy this morning when Annie tested at 162, Guess the 400 yesterday evening was some sort of fluke. As I mentioned, yesterday morning injection didn't feel right; like I was injecting into a hard spot.

She has been eating pretty well recently, so I was irritated when she walked away from her bowl having eaten less than half. I got out the baby food and doctored her leftover and she ate maybe 3/4 the meal. I reduced the Novolin-N by one unit to compensate for the less than full meal.

I left her bowl down, figuring I'd give her an hour to go back and finish the meal. Sure enough, about 45 minutes later she was at the bowl, licking it clean! I tried to give the one unit of insulin I had withheld earlier. Boy is it hard to inject just one unit! I couldn't feel the syringe plunger move, but I guess it did.

BTW, when she tested 441 with the PetTest meter, I retested with the AlphaTrak meter a few minutes later and she tested 452. So it appears my PetTest and AlphaTrak meters read pretty much the same even at higher numbers. Previous comparisons were in the 100-200 range and I wondered if the two meters would continue to show similar readings in the higher range.

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

• I know when Bazz had to go under anesthesia while he was diabetic I had to reduce his does by a couple of units for 3-4 days because his blood sugar was all over the place. Bouncing up then dropping low, I tested often and just rolled with the punches.
            Hope Annie continues to recover. Glad her eye is looking better
            Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Annie woke me at 5:45, about 30 minutes before the alarm. I figured I’d just do her morning routine 30 min early.

Got her first eye drop ready, and put her up on the bed to better see her eyes (normal procedure). Before I was able to get the eye drop administered she threw-up on the bed. Not only on the sheet, but on my CPAP mask / hose!

Quickly carried her out to the hallway so if she continued it would be easier to clean from the hardwood floor. Took less than a minute to strip the bed. There she was in the hallway, tail wagging, with a nice little pile of poop! All in under a minute!

Took her outside and she did the rest of her morning business. Came back inside, tail wagging, and went straight to the kitchen saying: “OK Dad, I’m ready for my breakfast” as though everything had been normal! She ate breakfast and is having a nice nap while I clean the CPAP equipment and doing a load of laundry.

Guess it’s hard being a 15 year old!

Craig

Comment

Kids do the darndest things! Glad she's feeling better.
                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Hope annie is feeling better

sounds like she new something was up and she was trying to light a fire under your butt . I need to get outside but ran out of time

it doesnt sound like anything long lasting hope not
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It might be related to dementia symptoms that you thought she was having earlier. Maggie had a few (very few because I realized she was getting so old) similar episodes. I always felt like it was a matter of her realizing a little too late she needed to go out or being disoriented. Other times, she would be telling me she wanted to go out but she paced so much and could be so restless so it was hard for me to tell. Hope these are few and far between!
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                      Before I was able to get the eye drop administered she threw-up on the bed. Not only on the sheet, but on my CPAP mask / hose!

Guess it’s hard being a 15 year old!

Craig
                      Oh boy, Craig. Annie's still keeping you on your toes! Give her some love for me
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Aw... it's good to know she didn't feel bad about it all. She seems back to normal now?

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                          Aw... it's good to know she didn't feel bad about it all. She seems back to normal now?

Natalie
                          She is as "normal" as a 15 year old, diabetic, blind, nearly(?) Deaf with neurological problems can be.

Her diabetes is generally good, even though she just tested a low 86 an hour ago. She was a little over 300 this morning so i HAD to mess around by withholding the small kibble part of her breakfast , but kept the same insulin dosage. Guess the 0.4 ounce of kibble makes a difference!

Oh, I've also gone back to playing with Novolin 70/30 instead of separate vials of N and R.

Our vet can't believe Annie is approaching 8.5 years diabetic.

Craig

Comment

Think we had a near hypoglycemic event last night. Around 10:30pm, four hours post meal / injection, she started to act weird. Continuous walking and bumping into things at a speed greater than normal. After watching her for maybe 20 minutes I decided to blood test: 49 on the AlphaTrak. Fed a little canned food mixed with about a tablespoon of white rice. She calmed down in about 20 minutes, and tested 101 at 12:30am.

I tried to remember what I may have done different. I'm 99% sure I gave the same weighed amount of food and insulin. No exercise since she went to sleep soon after eating (normal routine). Then I remembered I opened a new can of dog food. I've sort of switched to the "Beyond" brand of canned mixed with a little weight management (Blue Wilderness) kibble.

The Beyond brand comes in many varieties and I recently bought a mixed case to see which one she likes / will eat. This might be the problem! I looked at the can that I had finished yesterday morning and it lists at 434 kcals/can. The food I fed last night was only 315 kcals/can. That's 27% less calories per serving?

I added a little more of the 315 kcal/can the morning, and reduced her insulin by one unit. So far the readings look OK today:
                            6:30 168
                            9:30 178
                            12:30 129

Craig

Comment

Wow! Good catch on the lower calories.

Maybe you can test tonight at 10:30pm just to be sure.
                              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                              Diabetes: Aug 2013
                              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

It's pretty shocking between brands how much the calories vary - sure wasn't expecting the difference to be so big in the same brand!

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X