Franklin has diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Franklin has diabetes

Jane my vet told me the exact same thing ont the first visit at diagnosis .... "she WILL go blind, it's just a matter of how fast this will happen"".... Talk about discouraging!!!

Almost 2 years into this and vision doing great

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by SandyL View Post
      Jane my vet told me the exact same thing ont the first visit at diagnosis .... "she WILL go blind, it's just a matter of how fast this will happen"".... Talk about discouraging!!!

Almost 2 years into this and vision doing great

Sandy
      Yes, I was told the same, and told that she does have cataracts. Abby has been diabetic for 1.5 years now, and with some wild swings in blood sugar, not very regulated, and she still has her sight. She has lots of hours in good range, and some hours in not so good range...just a wobbler

Some go blind in a matter of days/weeks, and others never do, and there are those in between.
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Jane,
        I'm just now getting a chance to catch up on Franklin's thread. Sounds like you've had some really great things going for you.

I do have a concern with including the astaxanthin since Franklin's on phenobarb. Let me see if I can dig up the info on it. Because of the way astaxanthin is processed in the liver it can increase the potency of certain meds, anticonvulsants are one of those.

Will do a search and be back,
        Patty
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Here we go:
          Astaxanthin may interfere with the way the body processes certain herbs or supplements using the liver's "cytochrome P450" enzyme system. As a result, the levels of other drugs may become too high in the blood. It may also alter the effects that other drugs possibly have on the P450 system.
          http://www.wellness.com/reference/he...ing-and-safety

I'd also posted this awhile back when people were talking about krill oil which naturally contains astaxanthin:
          I actually contacted Dr. Becker, the doc in this article http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-for-pets.aspx and was told to use caution if you are using any type of pain meds, anti-seizure meds, or kidney toxic antibiotics (namely Gentamicin and Amikacin) with the krill oil as the naturally occuring astaxanthin in them can increase the effects by the way it's processed in the liver. With a dog that is hypothyroid and taking meds, monitoring the levels to be sure the astaxanthin hasn't changed the therapeutic level is wise. Heartworm meds are fine to use in combination with the krill oil.
          http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=89981

Astaxanthin is a good supplement for the eyes IMO but I'd consult Franklin's neurologist or doc that placed him on the phenobarb and at least monitor his level to be sure it doesn't go too high after starting it.

How's his liver been doing on the Phenobarb?

Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks Barb and Sandy, yay for all the sighted pups

Thanks Patty for that info. Will check with both drs about it before I give him any. Still waiting for it to arrive. Franklin's pheno level isn't in the therapeutic range on his current dosage, but he also hasn't had any seizures so I have no plans on upping the pheno while he's holding steady.

If memory serves, the pheno level starts at .63 and at last check his level was .57. I'm at work at the moment so can't check his most recent liver panels, but the alk phos has only ever lowered once or twice. It's usually quite high, but I don't think the pheno has had a huge impact. Will check later.

Thanks again for the info
            Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Glad the phenobarb hasn't made a huge impact. We have several dogs here that develop liver toxicity on it I'm told and have to be switched to something else.

Comment

Hi Jane! Just managed to catch up on Franklin...do adore that little man..so freaking cute! Kiss his nose for me!

I see you're looking to do the three shots a day, too. I think that's what Hank and I will be trying next. My vet is still very resistant to going to humalog or R for correcting his high evening levels and I'm somewhat resistant to go against him. Not sure why...as like you said...I KNOW my dog inside out even if I'm not a diabetes expert. But I think I can work my schedule around to manage the 8 hour shots....will take some doing and I'm NOT a morning person so that will be difficult! LOL If only I could teach Hank to give his own injections...hrm...must think on that...

So def keep us informed as to how it goes with that...I'll be talking to my vet this week I think...maybe starting next week on the three a day. Guess we're in this one together, huh? Hugs to you and belly rubs to Franklin!
                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Hi Jane and Franklin
                  Hope you had a lovely Christmas and happy new year. Just wondered how your little man is doing? Hope you are both well and that 2013 is a good one !

Hugs xx
                  Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Hi Jane and lovely Franklin,
                    Hope you are both ok , hearing about your extreem heat wave and flash fires on the news. How are you both doing? Must be hard to manage in such heat, hope you are both safe and staying cool. Happy new year to you both.
                    Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been away so long. Christmas was wonderful, travelling is apparently great for Franklin's sugars. We went to my sister's for lunch, thankfully did the 5 hour drive the day before. Franklin had a great time playing with his cousins

Franklin is now mostly blind It began a smidge over a week ago. Thursday evening he didn't want to go down the steps from the house to the yard. Friday morning he wouldn't come up the steps. I thought he maybe had sore muscles. Friday afternoon his left eye was blue, and I did a menace test. No peripheral vision but seemed to notice if my hand went over his head. Right eye was fine. Saturday morning we went to Dr P, and she confirmed the vision in his left eye was mostly gone. Perfect vision in right eye. He still had the light reflex.
                      Sunday lunch time his right eye was beginning to turn blue.

We got an appointment with the travelling eye vet, travelled 4 hours to see him on Wednesday. Still had some vision in his right eye at that time. Dr said he's a good candidate for surgery, and gave us prednefrin forte to use (lens induced uveitis) and ocuflox to begin a couple of days before the surgery. The first availability for the surgery is 5th February, so he's booked in. Just in time for his 8th birthday

We've had some bumps and stumbles, but we're getting there. He's a very quick learner,( up step, down step, pole, slow, careful, watch your nose) . There were times when either Franklin didn't realise the connection with the words, or I was too slow as his seeing eye person to warn him in time

I currently wander around with a cat collar with extra bells on it on my ankle so Franklin can find me easier I think going to the eye vet in a place
                      Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Oops, to finish the sentence-

I think that going to a place he'd never been to and building his confidence there helped him when we got back home. He can now go down the steps easily, takes a bit longer to come up the steps, and is back to using his doggie door.

Oh, while I remember- the people facing summer, Anne Marie being one. We talked about how to exercise the babies in the heat. P recommended swimming instead of walking, and that's really helped Franklin's sugars stay in a good range. Will post a link probably tomorrow.

Love and hugs to all and wishing the best for all of you

Comment

Hi Jane and Franklin

I am so sorry to hear that Franklin is almost blind but it's great news that his surgery is scheduled for feb 5th. It sounds like it happened very quickly poor Little Franklin but it seems he is coping well.
                          I too am dreading the day hat CJ goes blind but have already spoken to the vet about eye surgery and will get it done when the time comes.

Glad you had a good Christmas and that Franklin got to play with his cousins. Thanks for the tip on swimming rather than walking ... It's not really hot here yet today was about 30 degrees so CJ went swimming on the beach - he loves it so much. When it gets hotter I will bring him to the beach every day . It's a great idea and then when the sun goes down I can walk him then.

It's a great idea to put the cat collar with bells on your ankle so Franklin knows where you are!

Hugs to you and Franklin
                          Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Jane, so sorry to hear about Franklins sight going so quickly too, I think its the day we all dread so much when we are new to this diabetes, but you and franklin sound like you are coping well. Great that the surgery is scheduled so quickly and hoping all goes well. I will be following your progress very closely and really hope for the best for your little man.
                            Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Jane,

Sorry to hear about Franklin's issue with his eye sight, but good news that he is a good candidate for surgery.

Wishing you and he the best from afar.

Barb
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

so glad Franklin is enjoying swimming! Hope his surgery goes well!! Judi
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X