Goodbye to My Murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bladder Infections

The infections are common because of all the sugar in the urine and usually mostly go away once the regulation is better.

How much does Murphy weigh?

That would give me an idea of whether his insulin dose is relatively high for his weight.

The infection can upset blood sugar levels, making them higher and/or erratic. So getting rid of an infection gives you a better idea of how well the insulin and diet are working for him and whether he just needs more insulin or whether something else is the problem.

Do you test blood sugar at home?

Has he had curves done?

What were his blood sugar levels on any curves done?

Natalie

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying. Murphy weighs 60 lbs, I have been doing curves about once a month since he was first diagnosed in June of last year with the AlphaTrak 2. He has not been regulated at all since diagnosis. His last test was a week ago and his glucose starts off in the morning at around 350 before feeding and insulin the lowest it goes down to is 150 and it gets as high as 650 right after dinner before 2nd insulin injection.

Comment

Re: Freestyle Lite Strips where to purchase

Thanks for the info. I actually have a couple of AlphaTrak Vials one is coded 5 and the other is coded 36 does it matter which one I use when using the Freestyle Strips? Also do you know where is the least expensive place to purchase AlphaTrak2 strips, the lowest I have seen is $50 for 50 strips. I am unemployed for a year now and all of this is getting really expensive for me. Thanks again!

Comment

The problem is the high blood sugar contributes to the infections which in turn can cause high blood sugar - vicious cycle. Is he being treated with antibiotics for the infections? Has the vet cultured these samples to see if the infections are resistant to antibiotics?

Can you post a curve you have done recently? Also, what are you feeding and how much? Since he did get down to 150, the insulin works. I am wondering if it is a food issue or something in the routine that could be tweaked to change his fasting numbers? What type of insulin do you use? Do you inject immediately after his meal or wait? Are his meals twelve hours apart?
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/FreeStyle-Lite...se+test+strips $61.45 for 100 strips sounds OK? This was found in about 5 seconds, there might be less expensive sources if you hunted.

As I said, I'd test with your normal AlphaTrak test strip (whatever code) and then quickly replace with a FreeStyle Lite strip and see how they compare. You will have to do your own comparisons. I keep AlphaTrak strips in "stock" to compare with other meters/strips.

Craig
            Last edited by CraigM; 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM. Reason: corrected the price
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I bought from this seller for many months... no issues

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Freestyl...item1c3b57c896
              Banzai. Dx. 6/2012. Novolin N (walmart). Blue grain free food. Was put to rest 11/22/13 after Dx. of pancreatic cancer. RIP little man 3/30/05-11/22/13

Comment

Originally posted by abdamurph View Post
                Thanks for the info. I actually have a couple of AlphaTrak Vials one is coded 5 and the other is coded 36 does it matter which one I use when using the Freestyle Strips? Also do you know where is the least expensive place to purchase AlphaTrak2 strips, the lowest I have seen is $50 for 50 strips. I am unemployed for a year now and all of this is getting really expensive for me. Thanks again!
                Oops, I sort of misread your post earlier. About $1 per strip is the best I've found for AlphaTrak strips : http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...trips_6971.htm You save a few dollars if you buy more than one box. Possibly less expensive on ebay, but I haven't checked.

Craig
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

He hasn't been tested for a bladder infection yet, that is the next step. The Vet is happy the numbers do get down to 150 but they don't stay down long enough and jump back up again as day progresses. He is fed at 7 am and insulin at the same time, then fed again at 6 pm and insulin at 7 pm which the Vet said it's o.k. to give it an hour later. He gets a few treats during the day which the Vet said was ok and wouldn't effect his numbers. We went over everything I do with him during the day and nothing should effect his numbers so that is why I am thinking a bladder infection might be the problem plus he has signs of it also. I'll wait to see what happens when we test for the infection, I am hoping it is positive because then there would be a reason his numbers are so high. Thx for your help!

Comment

What type of treats & how many? A single "Milkbone" style treat would likely cause Annie's BG to soar 100+ points. Of course Annie only weighs 18 pounds and every dog is different.

Craig

Comment

Hi and welcome

How much your feeding Murphy twice a day. And what food he is eating

Food and insulin need to be balanced. I give my Riliey more food then required his blood sugar increases then I need to increase his insulin

At first I had to cut out all treats except a few green beans midway. Some treats raise their blood sugar. Feeding, injecting , giving treats might raise the blood sugar. I think consistency is the key to regulation

Same food, same amount, same insulin. Feeding and injectioning every 12 hours as close as possible. Do a curve after 7 days see where Murphy, s bg is at before making any changes

Again welcome to our forum, were here to help, ask any questions you might have

Mo
                      Last edited by k9diabetes; 01-15-2014, 04:43 PM. Reason: NK
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

We use the freestyle lite with alphatrack 2 meter, i use code 6 . There cheaper. I use the classified adds mostly Kijiji . People get them on their insurance plan then sell them for twice as much. I get mine there for $40 a hundred. Good luck
                        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                          Oops, I sort of misread your post earlier. About $1 per strip is the best I've found for AlphaTrak strips : http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...trips_6971.htm You save a few dollars if you buy more than one box. Possibly less expensive on ebay, but I haven't checked.

Craig
                          The best price I've found on Alphatrak strips is ADW. eBay is usually much more expensive when they have the strips listed. I also go to RetailMeNot.com before I checkout at ADW, and I can usually find a coupon code good for at least another $5 off my order.
                          Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Edited as I realized the 25 was the # of strips, doh!
                            Last edited by parisa; 01-15-2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

There's a fair amount of good news in your description of his blood sugar. He's responding well to the insulin! So he is regulated at least somewhat, just not as well as you would like.

Regulation is a very individual thing - every dog processes food and insulin and responds to exercise and other factors differently. Some can get tighter regulation than others.

If you could post an actual curve or two, that would be very helpful.

We can help you analyze them and suggest ways to try to improve his regulation by "flattening" his curve. There are quite a few different ways you can influence the curve - what you feed, when you feed, type of insulin, when the insulin is given.

It does sound like the snacks during the day may be related to his high blood sugar in the evening - something we could sort out for sure based on your curves.

Natalie

Originally posted by abdamurph View Post
                              Hi, thanks for replying. Murphy weighs 60 lbs, I have been doing curves about once a month since he was first diagnosed in June of last year with the AlphaTrak 2. He has not been regulated at all since diagnosis. His last test was a week ago and his glucose starts off in the morning at around 350 before feeding and insulin the lowest it goes down to is 150 and it gets as high as 650 right after dinner before 2nd insulin injection.

Comment

Re: Diabetic neuropathy in dogs

My dog Murphy was diagnosed in May of last year and his diabetes is still not regulated, started at 15 units and now is up to 23 units twice daily. His legs have gotten worse even though his numbers are getting better. Every one says it does get better but after 7 mos they haven't. Also once there is nerve damage from the neuropathy nerves do not regenerate so how do their legs get better? I am so afraid his legs will continue to get worse because there hasn't been any sign of improvement at all, in fact the opposite.

Comment

Working...
                                X