Do you give your dog probiotics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you give your dog probiotics?

Mochi went to the vet after a day of having non stop diarrhea and throwing up 2 times.

Luckily the vet said it's not pancreatitis and it's most likely he has some kind of bacterial virus or bug from eating the cat poo. He prescribed him with some antibiotics called metronidazole and has to take it for 7 days. His poo is finally back to normal today. But im a little concerned with the antibiotics killing all his good bacteria and will cause his immune system to be weaker.

I'm thinking about getting some probiotic supplements for him to take while hes on antibiotics. Do any of you give your dogs probiotics and is it safe for dogs with diabetes to take?
    Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
    Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
    Had cataract surgery June 2016.
    On 5 units of HumilinN

Re: Do you give your dog probiotics?

I have given jesse probiotics before . It did not have a negative impact on her . I guess it could affect digestion maybe speeding it up . Not sure if you would want to give it while taking antibiotics and may want to wait till after done using it because i dont know how much good would come from it because the antibiotic is still working against the bacteria

Jesse had some digestive issues with soft pooh earlier in the summer and i started giving her milk thistle . It cleared up and decided just to continue to give it to her as she is an older gal and i think its ok to give as she seems to be doing well Glad mochi is doing better
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I don’t think probiotics can hurt, and may have important advantages. I gave Annie probiotics anytime she seemed to have diarrhea. There was one brand (sold for dogs) that, if I remember correctly, also helped with her appetite.

My wife had a bad case of salmonella food poisoning two weeks ago and her doctor told her to take probiotics. She said she was sure they helped her.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Yukon has been on Purina Fortiflora once a day for the last 3 or so years. It has helped him tremendously with diarrhea and digestive issues. He is a newly diagnosed diabetic so I can't tell you if the probiotic is affecting his diabetes because he's not regulated yet.

But it has helped him with his other issues.
        15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

Fortiflora was the only brand Maggie would tolerate being put in her food. She was so picky if she even smelled anything off, she would not eat. She seemed to like the Fortiflora and it seemed to help. It never caused her sugar to be off.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

We're still unregulated so I don't know about the diabetes part, but Rocky had been having intermittent diarrhea so we started using Proviable probiotic as well as slippery elm. The combination definitely seems to have helped. Proviable is made by Nutra Max, the same company that makes Dennamarin if you are familiar with that. It's a veterinary product but you can get it on Amazon and probably Costco as well. I know they sell the Dennamarin because that's where we buy it.
            Rocky AKA The Beef - 11 y/o Boston Terrier with cushing's, diabetes, and allergies. Currently 16 pounds, 20 pounds ideal weight. Taking 8 units Vetsulin 2x/day.

Comment

Working...
            X