Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personality change makes me sad

Thanks for the info. 80.00 vs 25.00 is a big jump!!! Wow,she doesn't need this right now. Even Costco is high for humilin!!!!
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Re: curve timing

The vet wants to up sissys insulin to 7 units am and pm. Would it be a good idea to do a good curve at 6 1/2 to see where she really is at before I raise again,or try to raise,wait a week and then do curve?? Last time we tried 7 she got to low and I had to back off to 6 1/2. She has been high the last 3 days.random tests from 250-450. Any suggestions will help.!!
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

thats the conundrum the higher dose saw some low numbers but maybe the need has gone up but it has not been very long at a higher range

the thing about going slower is if this is just temporary your not trying to reduce from a larger amount of insulin if the needs decrease

there are times mostly rare in nature to raise much faster but what you have posted is not that case

so it makes sense as you suggested to go a bit slower most times you as the caretaker has the answer but its nice to bounce the idea around a bit and maybe get a consensus
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I had wanted to do a curve on Thursday at 6 1/2 and see what is going on. haven't done a good curve since she was first on insulin.would it help and give some info with the help of all of u, or would it be a waste??

Comment

Absolutely! Sounds like a curve is overdue!
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Thank u. I will do curve Thursday,post it and go from there.!!! That's what my gut is telling me.

Comment

I will have strips for alphatrak and relion prime!!! My vet has actually not requested one.I told her I was going to do one.

Comment

I never increased Ozzi's insulin dose without doing a curve first. I found it incredibly helpful to see where his numbers were going throughout the day, and make a determination based on that. It's important to see the low and the high values and when they occur over a 12-hour period. While random glucoses are helpful for determining hypo or hyper events at a point in time, they are not adequate for making decisions to increase insulin, because random sugars don't tell the whole story. I'm glad you're trusting your instinct and performing a curve before making insulin dose changes!
                  Kevin
                  Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Hi,

I was looking through your thread and just saw that Sissy only weighs 13 pounds! 7 units twice/day is a lot of insulin for that size dog, which she may very well need, but given her small size, I would be concerned about making that increase without a curve. I know you mentioned you were planning to do one, and I just wanted to re-encourage (if that's a word) you to continue your plan. Ozzi was 60 pounds and 1/2 unit increase sometimes made a big drop in his BG. Looking forward to seeing the numbers!
                    Kevin
                    Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Thank u thank u!!! I believe a moms instinct is a good thing. 7 did not work for her before. Now today her #'s were more back in line. 170-230. I can't wait to do the curve and share the #'s. Can't express how invaluable this wonderful forum is

Comment

Kevin,lol,spent a lot of time in ipswich and boxford mass growing up!!

Comment

Help!!!!! I was going to do a curve thursday.Sissy is on 6 1/2 units humilin n 2 x day.now on Friday I have to switch to novolin.the pharmacist said it is a little different.they said it is partly synthetic. I don't know whether I should do the curve,how much I should cut the dose when switching, what to do. Please give me some ideas. I am scared all over again!!!!

Comment

Two years ago, many of us were forced to switch from Novolin-N to Humulin-N when Walmart changed contracts. I think I reduced by 1 unit for safety, but within a few days we were back to the same amount we had been giving.

Now we are switching back to Novolin-N from Humulin-N, again due vto Walmart's contract. I haven't made the switch yet because I had two vials of Humulin-N in storage, but when I do switch I'll probably reduce by 1/2 unit for a day and see whats happening.

I compare this to switching brands of gasoline, or brands of milk. Slight differences that you most likely won't notice. Guess if I had VERY tight control, down around 90-100, I might pay a little more attention. I've heard some humans use either Novolin or Humulin just based on which one is less expensive at the moment.
                            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Another idea: could you switch to the Novolin-N TODAY? Then do the curve on Thursday? Guess I wouldn't "curve" Thursday if I was going to switch to Novolin-N on Friday.

I know it's human nature to fear the unknown, but just think; if there is a very slight difference, it might be for the better!
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks Craig, I don't get paid until tomarrow,so will get novolin then.so sounds like I would be better to switch,probably now Monday.vet wants me to switch when she is there incase I have a problem.!! So then do a curve 3 days or so after the switch??? U do make me feel better that the change shouldn't be an issue. Thanks,Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                X