Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roxy the Boxer

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
    Let's see what others say. I hate running to the vet for everything, but don't know if you will be needing antibiotics.

Craig
    ok, thanks i was thinking about trying to put something over the counter on it and the wrap it up so she wont lick it.. i know she will HATE that. she hates for you to even touch her toes.

Comment

On the first question - diabetes doesn't usually give them a bad tummy so I would assume that it is probably just a "normal" type of upset that will go away on its own. If it persists then I guess you might need to take them both to the vet (or just shadow them outside so you can find out which it it).

On the toe, I suspect that may end up being one for the vet. Our dog has endless issues with itchy feet and ears and we have a cupboard full of soothing sprays, anti-itching creams etc. But I also have a course of antibiotics to give him if I feel it is getting out of hand and we do end up with fairly frequent recourse to antibiotics to keep on top of things.

Antonia
      Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        On the first question - diabetes doesn't usually give them a bad tummy so I would assume that it is probably just a "normal" type of upset that will go away on its own. If it persists then I guess you might need to take them both to the vet (or just shadow them outside so you can find out which it it).

On the toe, I suspect that may end up being one for the vet. Our dog has endless issues with itchy feet and ears and we have a cupboard full of soothing sprays, anti-itching creams etc. But I also have a course of antibiotics to give him if I feel it is getting out of hand and we do end up with fairly frequent recourse to antibiotics to keep on top of things.

Antonia
        Thank you guys. I am still at work but i have been watching both of them on the cameras all day today. They both have been super lazy and really haven't moved off either couches!!! haha so that will mean a poop free home for me so far lol !!

I will call my vet and see if she can get me in on friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
          i have been watching both of them on the cameras all day today.
          That would drive me crazy! Watching them on the "Puppy cam" while they squat, or poop, I'd be yelling at the screen for them to go outside!!!

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

That would drive me crazy! Watching them on the "Puppy cam" while they squat, or poop, I'd be yelling at the screen for them to go outside!!!

Craig
            haha I so do!!! we have our house set up with the samsung smart things programs. My husband is trying to find a way for us to be able to open the back door for them to go out. ( they wont use a doggie door haha)

Comment

Hey guys just stopping by Roxy thread to say hi. I read the message board all day long lol but I don't talk much

Roxy has been doing really good. She is still getting hand feed half a can to a full can of w/d with turkey wrapped around it. Just like everything else some days are better then others. Then she gets a full can of hills chicken and stew w/d. She loves loves that!!!!

On a bad note I do believe she is starting to go blind .. I am so upset since she just got diagnosed with diabetes not to long ago. I think she will do ok. I just notice I have to turn the lights on at night for her. She does bump into things more not like stuff around the house. I think it's more her depth perception is off.

Another quick question... I have another dog she is about 90lb pit ( she needs to lose some weight) if she accidentally eats some of Roxy hills w/d is that ok? It's not much .. When I hand feed Roxy she likes to drop it on the floor.. And the "crumbs" or small pieces Hershey will come and lick up when Roxy moves.

Comment

glad things are improving . we take it one day at a time with jesse

i dont think the bit of extra food for your other pup is a problem . jesse cleans our plates and she is ok
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

No problem with Hershey Hoovering up the w/d.

In fact, I can't think of a good reason why W/D is a "prescription" food, other than a marketing ploy to get vets to stock it and feather their pockets.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                    No problem with Hershey Hoovering up the w/d.

In fact, I can't think of a good reason why W/D is a "prescription" food, other than a marketing ploy to get vets to stock it and feather their pockets.
                    And here is a breakdown.
                    Not my words but copied from The Dog Food Directory.

Description: Metabolizable Energy:
                    2986 kcal/kg (243 kcal/per cup)

Ingredients:
                    Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Peanut Hulls, Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, preserved with BHT, BHA and Ethoxyquin, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene.

Average Nutrient Content:
                    Protein 15.0 min
                    Fat 6.0 min
                    Carbohydrate (NFE) 45.6
                    Crude Fiber 20.0 max
                    Calcium 0.40 min
                    Phosphorus 0.30 min
                    Sodium 0.21
                    Potassium 0.59
                    Magnesium 0.098
                    Carnitine 200 ppm min

Intended for:
                    Weight Control and the Nutritional Management of Fiber Responsive Diseases (diabetes and digestive troubles).

Product Characteristics:
                    Carnitine High
                    Magnesium Reduced
                    Calories Low
                    Phosphorus Reduced
                    Fat Low
                    Sodium Low
                    Fiber Increased
                    Added Antioxidants Help reduce free radical damage to counteract oxidative stress
                    Target Urine pH Acid (6.2 - 6.4)*

Author
                    Post a Reply Editors

Posts: 3953 Review Date: Mon January 29, 2007 Would you recommend the product? No | Price you paid?: Not Indicated | Rating: 0
                    Pros:
                    Cons: Inadequate meat content, use of by-products, low quality grain fragments, carcinogenic chemical preservatives,
                    The first ingredient in this food is Corn. Corn is a difficult to digest grain, which limits its nutritional value for dogs. We consider this to be a low quality ingredient. It is also commonly associated with allergy and skin problems.Corn appears a second time on the ingredient list as corn gluten meal. This is the "dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm". In plain English, that which remains after all the nutritious bits have been removed. Powdered cellulose is further filler - more commonly known as sawdust. Peanut hulls are the ground outer casings of peanuts, and an utter waste product.

This food uses by-products as the sole meat-related ingredient. Chicken by-product meal - a very low quality ingredient. This is defined as "consisting of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice".

The use of soy is a further negative. Soybean meal, the ground remains of soybeans after extraction of oil, provides additional low quality protein to the food. We prefer not to see the use of any form of soy in dog food as this is an ingredient of low quality and commonly causing allergy problems. Soybean Mill Run is the ground hulls (outer shell) of soybeans after the useful bean meat and oil has been extracted. Alongside the peanut hulls and sawdust, and zero meat content this food appears more of a means of waste disposal than dog food.

We note also the use of chemical preservatives - BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. All of these chemicals are either banned or heavily regulated in use in human food due to being carcinogenic.
                    Last edited by tonyr; 03-19-2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyr View Post
                      And here is a breakdown.
                      Not my words but copied from The Dog Food Directory.

Description: Metabolizable Energy:
                      2986 kcal/kg (243 kcal/per cup)

Ingredients:
                      Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Peanut Hulls, Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, preserved with BHT, BHA and Ethoxyquin, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene.

Average Nutrient Content:
                      Protein 15.0 min
                      Fat 6.0 min
                      Carbohydrate (NFE) 45.6
                      Crude Fiber 20.0 max
                      Calcium 0.40 min
                      Phosphorus 0.30 min
                      Sodium 0.21
                      Potassium 0.59
                      Magnesium 0.098
                      Carnitine 200 ppm min

Intended for:
                      Weight Control and the Nutritional Management of Fiber Responsive Diseases (diabetes and digestive troubles).

Product Characteristics:
                      Carnitine High
                      Magnesium Reduced
                      Calories Low
                      Phosphorus Reduced
                      Fat Low
                      Sodium Low
                      Fiber Increased
                      Added Antioxidants Help reduce free radical damage to counteract oxidative stress
                      Target Urine pH Acid (6.2 - 6.4)*

Author
                      Post a Reply Editors

Posts: 3953 Review Date: Mon January 29, 2007 Would you recommend the product? No | Price you paid?: Not Indicated | Rating: 0
                      Pros:
                      Cons: Inadequate meat content, use of by-products, low quality grain fragments, carcinogenic chemical preservatives,
                      The first ingredient in this food is Corn. Corn is a difficult to digest grain, which limits its nutritional value for dogs. We consider this to be a low quality ingredient. It is also commonly associated with allergy and skin problems.Corn appears a second time on the ingredient list as corn gluten meal. This is the "dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm". In plain English, that which remains after all the nutritious bits have been removed. Powdered cellulose is further filler - more commonly known as sawdust. Peanut hulls are the ground outer casings of peanuts, and an utter waste product.

This food uses by-products as the sole meat-related ingredient. Chicken by-product meal - a very low quality ingredient. This is defined as "consisting of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice".

The use of soy is a further negative. Soybean meal, the ground remains of soybeans after extraction of oil, provides additional low quality protein to the food. We prefer not to see the use of any form of soy in dog food as this is an ingredient of low quality and commonly causing allergy problems. Soybean Mill Run is the ground hulls (outer shell) of soybeans after the useful bean meat and oil has been extracted. Alongside the peanut hulls and sawdust, and zero meat content this food appears more of a means of waste disposal than dog food.

We note also the use of chemical preservatives - BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. All of these chemicals are either banned or heavily regulated in use in human food due to being carcinogenic.
                      The ingredient list doesn't sound good, but many diabetic dogs can obtain good glucose control eating it. Who knows if there is really any cancer concerns because of the lower life span of dogs.

I'm no expert, and this is just my opinion, but other weight control (higher fiber) foods can be substituted for foods like w/d. You can even add extra fiber, like Benefiber or cooked blacked beans (I've done both in the past).

Dogs probably pickup and eat worse things from their walks. I had a dog years ago that feasted on asphalt pavement! The edge of the street was crumbling, and if we would stop walking for just a second, he would pickup some pavement.

Craig
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Dogs probably pickup and eat worse things from their walks. I had a dog years ago that feasted on asphalt pavement! The edge of the street was crumbling, and if we would stop walking for just a second, he would pickup some pavement.

Craig
                        When Roxy was a puppy she ate EVERYTHING.. And I mean everything!! Lol she ate dry wall, hardwood flooring.. When we were house breaking her my house would take her to work ( motorcycle shop) she would try to have a Hayday there hahaha...

The vet told me to put her on w/d she wouldn't eat ANYTHING for 3 months... The dog went from 110 pounds ( I know really over weight) down to 75lbs.

She will kinda eat the gel w/d... She loves the chicken and stew... She still won't eat hard food. She use to only eat hard food so I don't know why she still refuses to eat it.

I get the chicken and stew for a GREAT price at petsmart.

Comment

Craig mentioned this :- Who knows if there is really any cancer concerns because of the lower life span of dogs.

Well according to the National Canine Cancer Foundation :- How Common is Cancer?
                          Cancer is common in pet animals and the incidence increases with age. Cancer accounts for almost half of the deaths of pets over 10 years of age. Dogs get cancer at roughly the same rate as humans, while cats get fewer cancers.
                          Last edited by tonyr; 03-19-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Hey guys another quick questions.. For your fur babies that are going blind is there anything you are doing? Is there any drops?

Comment

I'm not sure that there are any drops that really make much difference although others may have more experience of trying these.

The main thing is probably to try to keep the blood sugar in a reasonably good zone as far as possible.

Also as a practical thing, I'd recommend starting to teach some directional words eg "this way" "step up / down" and "wait" or "steady" or something to get your dog to slow down or pause.

The most useful single word we use for Eddie is "Bump" as a warning that if he carries on he is going to collide with something. He has learnt to stop and wait for a bit more guidance from us when we say it and it has the great advantage that we can make him stop when he is too far away from us to grab his collar.

Antonia
                              Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I would have at least a consultation with an ophthalmologist. If there is a looming problem, there are drops that can help with things like dry eye. If it is in the budget, it helps to know where you are at and usually a consult is not too pricey.
                                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                                X