Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Amy: I'm thinking I'll stop at our local pet shop tomorrow and look for a small bag of Natural Balance to try. No harm in trying, except Linda is complaining Annie is taking up too much of her limited counter space. Our son, with the 2 year old Boxer, will gladly take anything Annie doesn't like.

Judi: I don't really need more reasons to test. Annie just told me that additional testing would be fun!. (being old, slow & blind she can't hide anymore)

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Found a better price for PetTest (Advocate) test strips. $20.22 from Walmart online store. http://www.walmart.com/ip/PETTEST-GL...50CT/154893754

I've placed an order. Fingers & paws crossed that the price stays down.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi Craig,
        I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you and Annie while I was going about my day today. I hope all is well
        Audrey
        Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Auddog View Post
          Hi Craig,
          I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you and Annie while I was going about my day today. I hope all is well
          Audrey
          We are hanging in here.

Age is really sneaking up on Annie. Although her diabetes is pretty well controlled, I think dementia and arthritis is giving her problems.

On the meal front, I'm giving up trying to get her to eat dry kibble. She's pretty much switched over to canned food. In fact, I've gone through 4-5 different varieties of Beyond brand cans, and her BGs have pretty much stayed good. I'm one who use to say "IDENTICAL" meals, but now it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Hope you had a nice weekend.

Craig

Comment

Do we all worry when our pup's routine change? Even when the change is for the better?

For months Annie would wake up around 4AM and start wandering around the house. Her nails on the hardwood floors would wake me and I'd fly out of bed to take her outside. Yea, breaking my sleep for 10 minutes to prevent a possible "accident" was worth it! Back to bed until the alarm would wake me at 6:15, and Annie would again be walking around.

Fast forward to three days ago. The past three days she hasn't done the 4AM thing. In fact she is still asleep when I get up at 6:15! Yes, I take a moment to stare at her to be sure she is still breathing before I give her a nudge to wake her up.

So, I'm getting a full nights sleep, but I'm worrying because she isn't waking me at 4AM!

NEXT.

She had been giving me some problems at meal time not wanting to eat her full meal (mostly dry kibble). I've switched her to mostly canned food and she eats it all in one go. Of course I'm now worrying that I'm not feeding enough because she IS EATING WELL

I guess I just can't be happy!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
              Do we all worry when our pup's routine change? Even when the change is for the better?

For months Annie would wake up around 4AM and start wandering around the house. Her nails on the hardwood floors would wake me and I'd fly out of bed to take her outside. Yea, breaking my sleep for 10 minutes to prevent a possible "accident" was worth it! Back to bed until the alarm would wake me at 6:15, and Annie would again be walking around.

Fast forward to three days ago. The past three days she hasn't done the 4AM thing. In fact she is still asleep when I get up at 6:15! Yes, I take a moment to stare at her to be sure she is still breathing before I give her a nudge to wake her up.

So, I'm getting a full nights sleep, but I'm worrying because she isn't waking me at 4AM!

NEXT.

She had been giving me some problems at meal time not wanting to eat her full meal (mostly dry kibble). I've switched her to mostly canned food and she eats it all in one go. Of course I'm now worrying that I'm not feeding enough because she IS EATING WELL

I guess I just can't be happy!

Craig

There is just something about the sound of doggie nails on a hardwood floor that will wake you out of a dead sleep. I thought I was the only one!!
              Jackson birthdate: May 11th 2006 Chocolate Lab 91lbs diagnosed August 11th, 2016 Humulin N 26 units 2x daily (still regulating) Fromm Gold Weight Management

Comment

It's hard to quit worrying when it is the normal thing to do!

Bless her heart. I'm just glad she is eating something.
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I definitely do the worrying thing. We keep a baby monitor in the room where the dogs sleep and if any of them even gets up to drink I hear it.

If Eddie hasn't barked for me to let him out during the night I peer at him closely first thing in the morning and check that he is still breathing.

Glad your Annie is eating happily (even if it isn't your first choice food) - it's so much nicer to have them eating than not!

We've just been away for a week and left the animals in the care of a pet-sitter who lived in. She is very good and has done it many times before. She often has to look after many more horses and dogs than we have, but she told me that ours was the most stressful job she does - all because of Eddie!

Antonia
                  Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

• I did the worrying thing too. Any time Bazz decided to do something different I'd watch him like a hawk until I felt better. In the end I didn't worry about what Bazz ate, just that he ate. It helped when I told myself, "with the long years Bazz has put up with me telling him what to eat and when to eat, he deserves to do and eat whatever he wants if it makes him happy"

I'm glad Annie seems to be doing good. I also hope your worries subside. Older pups sure do like to keep us on our toes! I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts

Audrey
                    Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Worry is definitely part of it, eh? Cherish the sleep until the pattern changes again Craig!
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                        Worry is definitely part of it, eh? Cherish the sleep until the pattern changes again Craig!
                        (Whispering) I think it's been four mornings that I've been ALLOWED to stay in bed until 6:15. She has also finished her meals the past 4-5 days.

I think she is planning something BIG to drive me crazy.

Craig

Comment

• I never once worried with any small details with Maggie. Well, every once in a while. Occasionally. Once a week maybe or was it once a day. Or all day, every day. All the details of every little thing. Why is she eating the wet food last? She always eats it first. Is it me or is her blood like not the right color..shouldn't it be redder? Why is she laying on her right side? She never does that. Did the groomer cut her second toenail on her right side too short? Is that causing her sugar to go low? Maybe it is that blanket. She hates that blanket. I had things that I would dwell on - crazy things.

The last year or so was a bit different. I think I had a better understanding of just how old she was getting and the instability was part of it. Add in dementia and I got to the point that as long as she wasn't agitated and she would eat, then I was happy enough.

Glad she is letting you sleep.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

We have one VERY mad pup in the house!

Annie hasn't been to the You-Wash dog washeteria(?) in awhile, so it was time. We fibbed to her, saying we were going to the nearby Dairy Queen to get her a little cup of soft-serve ice cream. I think she sensed when we drove past Dairy Queen and started to get nervous. When we got out of the car in front of the You-Wash, she let everyone know her displeasure. How can a bath for a 19 pound, 15 year old, blind dog require two people??

Got home and she tested 101 (failed to do a pre-bath blood test). Gave her a doggie treat and all is well in Annie's world

Craig

Comment

Lol craig,that is just to cute.lol...did she get her dairy queen??
                              Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Originally posted by stylynjm View Post
                                Lol craig,that is just to cute.lol...did she get her dairy queen??
                                No, we all were too tired from the fight, and wet, to stop. I might go out later by myself (Annie would likely refuse to get in the car) and bring home an ice cream treat for her.

It's 100 degrees here today, nearly 20 degrees above average. Annie is napping and I'm thinking I might do the same.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X