Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Sweet numbers - yes, pun intended!
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

wow, great stuff
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Wonderful numbers....
        Congratulations. I love to hear GOOD news sometimes.
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Well, I knew it was going too well. Annie had five days of great numbers ranging from 81 to 211, with most in the 120 to 170 range. A total of 15 tests within this range. Life was good.

Then this evening = 392. I didn't do a +10 hour test, so I don't have an idea what happened. Same food and insulin for the five days. The two "minor" differences this evening was that I took 2-3 minutes using the grooming razor to clean up the area where I test. Second, she bled a river instead of the small droplet. Don't think this had anything to do with the evenings numbers.

As you know, I use a mix of R and N. The standard has been 2 units R and 7.5 units N. This evening I gave 2.5 R and 7.5 N. I'm marking this up to "just one of those things" and am not too concerned. I'll probably test around 11pm (pacific time) just to see where she bottoms on the R.
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Glad she doesn't throw you "just one of those things" too very often, Craig
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
              Well, I knew it was going too well. Annie had five days of great numbers ranging from 81 to 211, with most in the 120 to 170 range. A total of 15 tests within this range. Life was good.

Then this evening = 392. I didn't do a +10 hour test, so I don't have an idea what happened. Same food and insulin for the five days. The two "minor" differences this evening was that I took 2-3 minutes using the grooming razor to clean up the area where I test. Second, she bled a river instead of the small droplet. Don't think this had anything to do with the evenings numbers.

As you know, I use a mix of R and N. The standard has been 2 units R and 7.5 units N. This evening I gave 2.5 R and 7.5 N. I'm marking this up to "just one of those things" and am not too concerned. I'll probably test around 11pm (pacific time) just to see where she bottoms on the R.
              At 11:30pm she was 173. She seems to have her lowest number from the R somewhere 3-4 hours after the injection, so she will be OK for the night.

I thought of another difference today: the weather. Today was the first 60 degree day in several weeks (had snow two mornings ago). I mowed the lawn, and Annie has had problems with allergies in the past, so who knows? Will be looking to see if she has a red eye tomorrow.
              Last edited by CraigM; 03-24-2012, 11:58 PM.
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Could Annie of found something to eat while you were mowing? I have to watch Maggie like a hawk if we are outside, she always seems to find something to munch on.
                Maggie, 70 lb golden Lab. dx 12/30/11 w/d kibble with a little canned innova, boiled chicken pieces after shot for treat.. starting on Levemir 3 units. 2/25/12

Comment

Something is in the air....it just seems that many of us are getting some weird numbers lately.
                  Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

sure looks like a bounce up maybe dropped a bit low or maybe just this extended time in a lower range which is good but i think sometimes the body may just respond to it

kind of like a baseball player batting he knows the correct way to hit a ball but at times the body returns to some bad habits and things get out of whack until the brain kicks back in and the swing comes back
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

At 11:30pm she was 173. She seems to have her lowest number from the R somewhere 3-4 hours after the injection, so she will be OK for the night.

I thought of another difference today: the weather. Today was the first 60 degree day in several weeks (had snow two mornings ago). I mowed the lawn, and Annie has had problems with allergies in the past, so who knows? Will be looking to see if she has a red eye tomorrow.
                      She was back to 110 this morning. So the 392 last night was "just one of those things".

Guess it was possible she found something in the yard, or under the bird cage, to snack on, but I don't think so. Guess this is a good example why we shouldn't panic when we see a number out of normal (yes, I increased her R insulin a bit last night, but I think she would have come back to near normal if I'd just given her "normal" amount of insulin).

Comment

She was back to 110 this morning. So the 392 last night was "just one of those things".

Guess it was possible she found something in the yard, or under the bird cage, to snack on, but I don't think so. Guess this is a good example why we shouldn't panic when we see a number out of normal (yes, I increased her R insulin a bit last night, but I think she would have come back to near normal if I'd just given her "normal" amount of insulin).
                        Has to keep you on your toes, Craig! Making sure you are paying attention! LOL
                        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Craig,

Sometimes it seems like you are afraid to post great numbers... because then you get a wild number, and you think... did I jinx it... Again, they always make liars out of you.
                          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

You are soooooooooo right- Big on L on the forehead - I'm going to paint one on ED
                            Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Annie is having eye problems. Looks like she has finally gone pretty much blind, will know more next week.

It was strange. She visited her eye vet on 27March and her eye pressure was a good 12. On 4April, I noticed she bumped into furniture and hesitated jumping off the sofa / bed. We took her back into the eye vet on the 5th and her eye pressure was a very bad 66. She was put on different eye drops and sent home. Took her back for a pressure test this morning, borderline high 19. The vet told us to continue the drops and to give both vitamin C & E.

Wish I had read the following link about vitamin C & E years ago!

http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...upplements.htm

Are others using vitamin C & E supplements.

Annie is getting around the house OK, but is still bumping into furniture. She has no trouble finding her food dish!

Comment

Poor Annie! It's good she can still find her food dish, tho. Izzy (non-diabetic) cannot see enough to find hers except by smell. I usually stand near it and clap, or tap the bowl with a spoon to help her locate it.

Hope you get some encouraging news soon! I know you love Annie dearly.

Mary
                                Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                                Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                                Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                                Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Working...
                                X