Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jenny 11 y/o Poodle

Originally posted by Judi View Post
    I was wrong. they haven't changed it! I found some old notes. So maybe since Jenny is feeling better she just needs more calories. I am more confused than ever LOL
    Yup, been there, done that.

I hate it when I am so convinced that Ruby reacted this way or that to this thing or that, but then look back in my journal and come to a different conclusion. I tend to be hard on myself when I discover such, but....read this again:

"I hate it when I am so convinced that Ruby reacted this way or that to this thing or that..."

Taking care of a dog who has diabetes is hard enough, but trying to integrate another very complex disease that affects the other complex disease....is it any wonder the details start to blur. Human error and our goodwill and hard work with these guys outweighs the mistakes we make here and there.

For all my mistakes with Ruby, in my heart of hearts I believe it would be hard for anyone to do better.

I admire how you care for Jenny. For all Ruby's ailments I am not sure they compare to cushing's and diabetes together. Jenny is a very fortunate little pup.

Tara
    Tara in honor of Ruby.
    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

maybe judi you can slowly raise to those recommendations maybe like do it over a 4 week period subtract what you are feeding now from the point you need to get to then divide that by 8 which will give you the 2 meal amount per week added for a 4 week period

test every week to determine dose adjustments look and see how she is adjusting to the extra food as far as how she feels and any symptoms stools or upset belly
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Tara and Jesse: you both have dealt with much more and done a much better job than I ever will!

but, Jenny has survived me and she loves me so we'll forge ahead.

Jessegirl I think you are right. I need to go slow on the food changes for her and I'll see what the increased calories do to her sugar.

I increased her to 4 ounces of food twice a day on Saturday and last night her blood sugar was 249 and this morning it was 79. So, her body is definitely adjusting

thanks so much for your support. Her caloric needs have definitely increased. I'll take that as a positive I think!
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Judi, Hope the increase of food for Jenny is working out.
          Big hugs.
          Vicki-Scoop, Raleigh, Archie and Gus' mom

Comment

Vicki how nice of you to think of Jenny when you and Scoop have so much going on.

I think her blood sugar is settling in the 220's with the increase. I need to do a curve. Plan on food shopping Sunday.

Both dogs still act like they are STARVING but Jenny does not feel as bony to me.

thanks so much! Judi
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

thats a positive sign judi on less feeling of the bones i also was happy with jesse when the bones faded away jesse is hungry too every walk is a search for goodies her numbers will come down once you figure things out and they are ok in that range so not to worry to be a bit higher for now
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                thats a positive sign judi on less feeling of the bones i also was happy with jesse when the bones faded away jesse is hungry too every walk is a search for goodies her numbers will come down once you figure things out and they are ok in that range so not to worry to be a bit higher for now
                Funny you should say this... Just this AM, while on our walk, in fact not even out of our driveway, Abby is intent on smelling something. I'm watching her and what do you know.... a French Fry caught her attention. Luckily I taught the command..... DROP IT!!

Now the other thought is.... How did a french fry get in my driveway....
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                  Funny you should say this... Just this AM, while on our walk, in fact not even out of our driveway, Abby is intent on smelling something. I'm watching her and what do you know.... a French Fry caught her attention. Luckily I taught the command..... DROP IT!!

the list is endless for jesse she had a french role a few weeks ago she found a bone this morning you name it that nose can find it. it amazing how much food is on the ground

french fries in the driveway thats sounds like a setup abby must have planned it but who left the french fry maybe a 24 hour surveillance is required nice she would drop it on command jesse would not respond to that gone in a second

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post

Both dogs still act like they are STARVING but Jenny does not feel as bony to me.
                    Oh yay!

Tara
                    Tara in honor of Ruby.
                    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Luckily I taught the command..... DROP IT!!
                      Haha...Ali knew that command...but would have totally had selective listening when it came to a french fry!
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Must be a run on french fries. Found what looked to be an entire large container of them dumped in and at the end of my drive way last week. Though Kinser is not diabetic, I'm still hesitant to have him eat soggy food that has sat out in the snow/salt/sand of which I have no idea where it originated from.
                        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

YUCK! Snow covered Fries....

-- i'm sorry Judi...Totally took over Jenny's thread to discuss fries. Perhaps they should be added to Jenny's diet for increase her caloric intake.
                          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

ha ha ha. I love the french fry stories! chow hounds, that's what we have!

I spilled a tub of treats yesterday and Ranger turned into a Hoover vaccuum. Thank goodness Jenny is blind and missed out!

Comment

last Saturday I didn't notice Jenny started peeing all over a thankfully cheap rug. It became obvious on Sunday

I had just changed her over to Wellness Core Weight Management combined with some extra meat on Saturday so I don't think the diet change is related.

I have been feeding her more food since her calorie needs have increased.

She has crystals in her urine and is getting antibiotics. He is going to recommend a different food to me on Monday.

Anyone dealt with this? If so, did you change diets?

TMI but I had my first kidney stone ever this winter, if Jenny gets one too we are definitely getting to be too close. I sure hope my girl doesn't have/get one. I'd hate to see her in that much pain

Comment

just read on a message board about several dogs who developed crystals after being on Wellness. This really surprised me. I bought it because I think Ranger has some mild food allergies and thought it would be good. I had supplemented her OM with a little Wellness a while back, because she loves it.

I forget which type of crystals the vet said she has but we will definitely be using OM the rest of the weekend till he tells me which new prescription food to get.

Comment

Working...
                                X