MAGGIE...Kevin's New Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAGGIE...Kevin's New Rescue

Love having an update on your "crew," Kevin! It's good to hear there's progress on all fronts. Hope your able to be a snow bird this year and head south.

I have a question that might help Daisy. She was asking about samE recently. What brand do you use?

Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hey Patty,
      I get it at WalMart...it's made by Spring Valley.
      Kevin
      Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Thanks Kevin. Looks like that's similar to the Nature Made she was looking at. They both have Mannitol in them which she's looking to steer clear from as a precaution for cataract prevention. http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1662

Hopefully she found one. Thanks for the info!
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Maggie's Update:

So my little girl is 7 1/2 months old now. She is thriving and FINALLY house trained! It took two months of really hard work, but she's got it down now! No more diapers!!! Now she does her "pee dance" to let me know she needs to go.

As she has grown and gained weight, she has become increasing more "neurological" if you will. I think that each growth spurt brings on new movement issues that cause her to fall down more. Then she seems to adjust to her new body and does better for a while. She's very good going up stairs but just cannot go down more than two, but I'm still working with her on that.

Maggie is a handful and really needs a lot of attention, and it's worth it. She's very happy and healthy in every way except neurologically. There are definitely some wires crossed in her brain...LOL! There is no disciplining this girl...she just smiles and wags her tail all the time, no matter what!! How can you get mad at that?? Maybe it's her strategy!

She was spayed in November and healed well. There were no issues with anesthesia thankfully, which was the vet's concern because of her impairment. She adores Kobi and is just loving life!

Kevin
          Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

So good to hear from you Kevin...we've missed you around here

Yea! on the house training! So glad she was able to accomplish this and it wasn't a permanent neuro thing

She sounds increasingly more adorable if that's even possible
            Patty

Comment

Man oh man - you are a true saint! I am so glad to hear that she is housebroken! One less then for you to have to focus on.....now you can teach her to go down the stairs!

keep at it!

Tami
              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Kevin, I so love the videos and what more of an appropriate song!!

Maggie is very cute as well, she is a very stricking looking little girl. I'm so happy that she will be with you and Kobi. And you really gotta know that Ozzi is choosing these furbabies for you to love, care for and accept into your family. Not because you still miss your boy, but because you have a large heart with lots of love to share.

Comment

Its nice to hear from you Kevin. Thanks for the update on your pups!!! Sounds like you are truly enjoying loving them to death LOL. They are lucky lucky doggies to have you as their dad.
                  Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Nice to hear from you Kevin

You certainly have got a big heart, I loved the update on your pups.

You seem to be coping well with all the wee problems

All I can say is Well Done

Hugs

Margaret
                    Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

The Maggie update is short. She's a cutie pie and turned one year old on June 30th. Maggie struggles every day to do the best she can, and she's an inspiration to me. Her neurological issues from the traumatic brain injury don't stop her. It typically takes her about 45 seconds to a minute to get up on all fours, but she keeps at it until she succeeds, and then WATCH OUT! She's not at all graceful, and defines the old adage of a bull in a china shop....poor thing! Her limbs are very spastic and go in every direction but where she is trying to place them, and she has bizarre episodes where her entire body "twists," from the spasms. I have become fairly used to her bodily ways, but I must say I do get quite a few "looks" from people in the vet's office or on the streets!!

It's so funny to watch her try to chase Zakk (the cat). She starts, and within 2 seconds, she falls onto the floor. I don't mean to make fun of her disability at all, but it really is a site to behold! I have been able to teach her to go up the stairs, however it is the most horrifying thing to see, and I'm always right behind her because she falls down about 60% of the time, but she's happy to make it to the top when she does! I have come to the conclusion that I will not get her to descend more than 2 stairs, and she and I are both okay with that. She likes to be carried much more than I like it...ha ha!!

She is a very loving and loyal dog, and she and Kobi are bff's. They both depend so much on one another, it's heartwarming. Aside from her numerous neuro issues, she's doing just great!!

Kevin

Comment

I just read through your thread and you are truly a saint!!! Maggie is such a doll and I love how Kobie and Maggie interact on your Youtube videos!!! You can really tell they mean the world to each other!!!

Sandy

Comment

Bless her heart. I can't believe how much she's grown. It's adorable how close she and Kobi are. I bet you get some looks out in public with her ataxia. So glad she's doing well!

Patty

Comment

Here's a quote out of the mouths of babes! I was walking Maggie one day, and we passed a Mom and her son, probably about 5 years old. As I passed by, the little boy said to his mother, "Mom, is that dog drunk?" LOL After I thought about it, I wondered, what kind of environment is this 5 year old in that he knows how a drunk acts??!!!!

Comment

you are a very special person

you see the good in everything about your pets and none of the negative you see the bright spirit within them and thats what counts
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by ozzi View Post
                                Here's a quote out of the mouths of babes! I was walking Maggie one day, and we passed a Mom and her son, probably about 5 years old. As I passed by, the little boy said to his mother, "Mom, is that dog drunk?" LOL After I thought about it, I wondered, what kind of environment is this 5 year old in that he knows how a drunk acts??!!!!
                                Good point Kevin...!

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X