Chicken Teats From China Still A Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Teats From China Still A Problem

Saw this on the local news last night. Apparently, this stuff is still a big problem. Have to wonder why it's still allowed to be imported and marketed here???.

Vet warms Mid-South pet owners of tainted dog treats

Posted: May 06, 2014 11:15 PM CST Updated: May 06, 2014 11:15 PM CST By Shay Harris - email

SOUTHAVEN, MS - (WMC) - A Mid-South vet says tainted dog treats are making pets extremely ill.

One dog owner knows first hand. "I went in thinking it was going to be a 0bladder infection, and then I was told maybe she had a 50-50 chance to live," said Kristina Gardea, whose pet became ill after eating jerky treats.

Gardea is upset. Her 6-year-old Chihuahua, Roxy, is fighting for her life after eating chicken jerky treats made in China. She noticed Roxy was ill two weeks ago after Roxy urinated in the house. "When I looked, the urine was real dark, real concentrated. At the time she acted just really upset at the fact that she even did it she didn't have control over it," said Gardea.

She immediately took Roxy to see Elmore Road Veterinary Clinic Veterinarian Dr. Brandy Ellis. "She came in almost with tears in her eyes and told me that it was one if the highest level enzymes of a liver that she'd seen," said Gardea.

Roxy's liver was toxic. A serious symptom Dr. Ellis was familiar with in addition to the vomiting and secondary bladder infection.
    "What we're seeing is some dogs that are eating the treats that are either wrapped in the chicken jerky or actually the chicken jerky treats that are imported from China or made in China," said Ellis.
    Dr. Ellis says the dog treats have been a problem since 2007. Several dogs in the area have died this in the past. The vet is urging pet owners to refrain from buying pet treats made in China.

The WMC Action News 5 team is investigating what particular brand of treats may be at issue.
    Last edited by farrwf; 05-07-2014, 04:34 AM.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Re: Chicken Teats From China Still A Problem

i don't buy ANYTHING from china
    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I've noticed more treats being made in the USA lately, but still make sure you read labels carefully! Some that aren't obviously marked have fine print that say "Made in China," or similar.
      Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I've stopped buying jerky treats of ANY sort at Costco. They have shown themselves to be perfectly willing to sell the chinese stuff. And just because it says "Made in USA" doesn't mean it doesn't have chinese poisons in it.

I buy chicken jerky at Kahoots.

Comment

Just got an investigation update on jerky treats from the FDA

Apparently they found an antiviral drug used in adults ,thats also used in parkinsons disease in some chicken jerky treats. Amandatine
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

http://dogingtonpost.com/breaking-pe.../#.U3vrOFhdXok

This just showed up in my Facebook newsfeed. I hope more stores follow!
            Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Working...
            X