Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Champ - just diagnosed and so worried!

the thread Eddie bear maybe helpful

you will have to look through i believe to find what Antonia was using as far as B-12
Old 03-07-2018, 12:02 PM

Food should have both types of fiber, both serve an important purpose, just like in humans.
The link below will let you input moisture and any of the other content percentages, to get the dry matter percentage. That's what you need to compare foods. The food labels will have the analysis percentages. Plug them in and compare fat/fiber/protein.

http://fnae.org/dmb.html
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:40 AM

Thank you for the explanation on the fiber and the link to the calculator. That is very helpful!

We are about to run out of his current dry food today, should I stick with the typical transition process to a new food and buy the current food to start mixing first? How soon did you switch over to a more diabetic friendly diet after diagnosis? Champ wasn't eating well upon initial diagnosis two weeks ago so I've stuck with what he will eat so far. His appetite has much improved over the last week though.

His blood sugar readings before meals have actually increased over the past few days despite the 10 units of petsulin we have been giving him. I did a 6 hour reading to check and see his level yesterday afternoon as well. The vet wants to do a curve next week before changing. I emailed to see if they thought differently based on these numbers from yesterday. Any thoughts?

Yesterday
7:30am - 609
2:30 pm -487
7:30pm - 597

Today
7:30 am - 695

UPDATE**I spoke with the vet this morning and Champ had major reductions in his ketone levels just after 3 days of insulin treatment (80 down to 15). Great news! Also reported back my numbers from the last two days and she suggested upping his dose to 13 units of Petsulin and doing a curve next week. Also suggested leaving his food as is for now. Feeling a bit of relief after a rough past 24 hrs. **

Champ is 80lbs. Eating 2 C Rachael Ray Zero Grain Chicken and Sweet Potato Dry food mixed with 1/2 C Solid Gold Green Cow Tripe wet food - 2 x a day

Last edited by Champion11; 03-08-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Update from Vet Call
Old 03-08-2018, 11:52 AM

A normal starting dose is 1/2 a unit per kilogram (2.2 lbs.). Your dog weighs 36 kg, which would be 18 units. 13 units is probably still low.
Curious as to how your vet come up with the starting dose.

As for a food change, it's to get more fiber I assume (the fat and protein of your current food isn't too bad, on a dry matter). Being the dog is early in the diagnosis and sugars are high, I might change food now and get it all done, while you're just starting sugar regulation.
If you wait until his sugars are regulated, which could take weeks (and that's OK), then a new food will probably change his sugar numbers and you'll have to tweak dose again for a few weeks.

Others may weigh in on my suggestion.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Just a reminder that many think a starting insulin dosage is 0.2 units per pound. So, a 80 pound pup might be started at around 16 units. A few have required less, but I think most end up with a higher dosage.

Edit: looks like Raysaint and I had the same thought about starting dosage at the same time.

Last edited by CraigM; 03-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:49 AM

Update on Champ-

We did another urine test today and his ketones were undetectable which is great news considering we did this without hospitalization!

We are increasing his insulin dose to 18 units based on the glucose curve that I took yesterday. Blood sugar levels still in the 400s at 13 units. Doing another curve in a week to recheck.

Hoping to see some more results and waiting patiently to see if the neuropathy is reversed in the next few weeks....
Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Wonderful! I'm so happy for you and Champ... I'm a big fan of Chessies too.

Natalie
Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 PM

My dog’s neuropathy is pretty much gone now (knocks on all the wood) and it’s been 6 weeks since diagnosis. She had keytones at diagnosis too. It’s so tough on them. Maybe the further they get from that trauma the more the body can recover.

Last edited by Lolo; 03-15-2018 at 03:37 PM.