Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lanomax-does it really work?

Originally posted by alleng8304 View Post
    Ollie is going to the vet Friday for cataract evaluation and ACTH stim-he also has Cushings.
    I gave him an eye supplement when he was dx with Diabetes in January. No cataracts for 6 months and then just appeared overnight. I would like to use the least invasive tx but do these drops actually dissolve cataracts as some of the claims suggest??
    This has been widely discussed on the forum over the years . The problem with cataracts is the lens is damaged and i dont see how anything can change that
    Its like scratching your glasses . Now maybe some of these items can slow the process . Maybe flushing them and moistening . I had a theory diabetes dries out the eye which could contribute to the damage

If there was miracle cure you would think everyone would use it and cataract surgery would not be needed . Now if it does not do any harm it cant hurt to try and maybe it could help but i dont think there is anything that can reverse them
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I agree with you

Comment

Is Jesse blind?

Comment

agree-skeptical

Comment

Is Jesse blind?
            Jesse kept her sight(knock on wood ) and i wish i new why . It would have been very difficult for her if she did as she so enjoys going out to chase rabbits everyday
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

That is great. Do you consider eye supplements as well?

Comment

That is great. Do you consider eye supplements as well?
                I have not done any supplements . The only thing that maybe different is she is on a homemade diet and she has very moist eyes as many hound dogs do

Comment

There are certain substances that research has shown are good for eye health. Most of those substances can be found in certain foods.
                  I add to my dog's food: wild blueberries, a little sweet potato or pumpkin, a pureed mixture of cooked green beans/spinach.
                  I don't add all of those every meal, usually 2 of them for a week, then switch it up the next week, etc.

Blueberries are considered a superfood with lots of antioxidants, sweet potato and pumpkin have lots of beta carotene, and green beans/spinach have lots of lutein. All good for the eyes.
                  Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Re: What's going on?

Their needs can drop dramatically when you get the Cushings under control. I think you will know more when you have the test done.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

when my cushings dog got her cortisol under control, her dose of novolin went from 7 units twice a day to 3.5 - 4 units twice a day. totally possible and good you caught it!
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I understand. My Lucy (have several dogs) a 14 yro Lhasa poo, the love of my life, lived with Cushings for 5 years at a small dose of 5 mg of Trilostane. Unfortunately, at 2 am on 2/6 she had a massive brain hemorrhage and hung on for additional 6hrs. Like you, I miss her every day. Thanks. My Multi-poo is 14 1/2 yrs old, does not have Cushings but I give him 1/2 baby aspirin every three days to offset plaque that could clot.

Comment

Diabetes Now Hypoglycemia-Help

My oldest dog is about 13 (rescue-birth date not accurate) and is diabetic. I give him insulin , 4 1/2 units twice daily. He has been stable for 3 years. On Friday , 7/31, 8 hours after his normal insulin dose he became lethargic, threw up twice and had myoclonic jerks. He was Hypoglycemic. His blood sugar was 32, heart rate 88 but his organs were NOT shutting down. I gave him some Karo Syrup so his sugar would come up and of course took him to my wonderful friends at Greenwood Vet Hospital that helped save his live. . If I just thought that my little buddy just had an upset stomach yesterday and I ignored it- he would have died. When we left the hospital -his labs were normal and his blood sugar came up to 55. Saturday , 8/1- blood sugar is 52 and no clinical signs of hypoglycemia.

He has not had any insulin since friday , and now time to take blood again for another reading.

I do not know what is going on- no more clinical signs but blood sugar in the 50's. That will catch up with him soon. I thought he may have a tumor on the liver or pancreas or even Addison's disease Any thought- insulin needed for 3 years and none needed. Make no sense. Thanks

Comment

Re: Diabetes Now Hypoglycemia-Help

glad to here your dogs back home.
                            please tell us more
                            his weight?
                            food and how much?
                            what type of insulin?
                            please post his bg readings.

karo on the gums followed by abit of food should bring his bg back up.

i.d suggest more indepth blood work up if his blood sugar doesnt come up over 100

your doing great
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Hard to guess what is going on with just one number. You say his sugar was 52, when was that; morning fasting? midday? nadir time?

Knowing his 12 hour sugar pattern might help us theorize what is going on.
                              And the questions Riley Mo asked would also help.

Not likely his body is making insulin all of a sudden, so let's look at all the factors related to his daily routine. Lots of smart people here to help notice something that might be causing this new anomaly.
                              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I guess you could say your dog is not producing sugar to work with the amount of injected insulin you are giving . An upset belly points to something going on with digestion and that can affect sugar production . Not sure if your testing blood sugar at home and if not that should be a priority

Comment

Working...
                                X