Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Default Bella Blessing

My girl is 14lbs and is on Cansulin takes 3.5 twice a day. Her numbers are in a really good range since I switched her food a couple of months ago.Even when her numbers were very high before her insulin injection she never showed any clinical signs. I wasn't happy with the highs so I thought it may be the food so that's when I switched. also where we make the insulin injection makes a difference.

Not much more to say. I am so happy with my girls progress . Just passing on some ideas that worked for me. And may work for others.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Bella Blessing

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like Bella(?) is doing great. Are you home testing her blood?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Hi there welcome to you and Bella ! Sounds like you are doing really well. Maybe you could post some more info like what food you give her etc also do you test her bg at home ?

There are a few of us on the forum who use Caninsulin so it's always nice to see how other pups are doing on it . Look forward to hearing more about Bella !
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like Bella(?) is doing great. Are you home testing her blood?
Yes we home test her. I think what regulated her was a combination of organic canned grain free food and where I inject the insulin for more absorption . I posted a link to the food somewhere on here but can't find it. Where is the other place I was posting?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amholmesy View Post
Hi there welcome to you and Bella ! Sounds like you are doing really well. Maybe you could post some more info like what food you give her etc also do you test her bg at home ?

There are a few of us on the forum who use Caninsulin so it's always nice to see how other pups are doing on it . Look forward to hearing more about Bella !
http://vetschoice.com/productinfo.php?productID=1000038
This food is incredible. I also crunch up some green beans in a blender. She also get organic coconut oil. http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blog...your-dogs.html. This seems to keep any possible infections at bay.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Here is her last curve on November 28/12

Starts before meal at 7am and taken every two hours
Sorry my US friends I don't know how to convert

to recap the things I do is alternate injection sites and I no longer put in scruff of the neck.
Switched to grain free wet food so less carbs
I have a picture of best injection sites I just forget where I saved it. I will keep looking.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Founding Member

very nice a very safe range to be in

you can multiply by 18 to get u.s. measurements

we use yams in jesses diet which is a form of sweet potato which is a carb that worked very well for jesse also

i do think that is the key for many is selecting the carb the works best for the individual diabetic dog
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Blessing View Post
Here is her last curve on November 28/12
14.7 ..... 264.6
16.6...... 298.8
11.6..... 208.8
12.5..... 225

Starts before meal at 7am and taken every two hours
Sorry my US friends I don't know how to convert

to recap the things I do is alternate injection sites and I no longer put in scruff of the neck.
Switched to grain free wet food so less carbs
I have a picture of best injection sites I just forget where I saved it. I will keep looking.
how do I take US numbers and go back to Canadian ?

Last edited by Bella Blessing; 12-02-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Founding Member

divide by 18 will reverse back to you measurements
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Those numbers look really good! Well done you are doing a great job managing the food and testing . Thanks for the links for food and the coconut oil. Patty had told me about it - I am going to incorporate it into CJ's diet but just a little at a time as he has pancreatitis as well.
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Last edited by k9diabetes; 12-02-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: NK