Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Jenny 11 y/o Poodle

"Hank..you've been talking to Jenny again, haven't you?"

"Oh no, not me, Mom!"

"Then how come she's picking at her food?"

"It was an accident...really!"

"Hrm mmm...do tell, young man!"

"We were just talking...and I told her that I pick out the good bits...it's not my fault if she listened!"

"You stop telling Jenny about being picky, do you hear me, young man?"

"Yes, Momma...I will." Small furry toes crossed.

OOooo...he's SO bad!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 AM
Founding Member

Thanks Carol! I do have to remember to leave very specific instructions at this vet office because it is so large.

Good thing Hank is so stinking cute Shellie! who can stay mad that face?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

Good thing Hank is so stinking cute Shellie! who can stay mad that face?
I know...I did try. Lasted about half a minute. Which I figure is pretty darn good considering the whole sad pup, brown eyes routine he produced. Just HAD to kiss his little forehead...

Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM

Hi Judi...

Makes you wonder if Jenny may just have Cushings, as in time when that is becoming more controlled, I wonder if her pancreas may be starting to kick in.

Scary.... imagine she was at 8 units at one time, wasn't she, with some really high numbers.

Good luck... keep us posted on the vet's visit.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Founding Member

ok help. Now that Jenny is turning her nose up at the canned food her vet said letting her eat the Nutro weight management dry food is ok since his priority is that she eats. I'm keeping the calories the same but I probably fed her too much the last 2 days. (was more specific this morning)

the 2 1/2 units that had her ok or too low on the wet are resulting in fasting readings ranging from 350 to 381 on the dry. One morning she was at 190 though.

I've never done a curve at home because she only lets me prick one side of her mouth and her mouth isn't that big. I have to leave town again next week so I won't be able to get her to the vet till I come back. I'm thinking of going up to 3 units because I don't leave till next Wednesday. The 190 has me a little nervous though

thoughts? I guess I could wait a couple of days while I watch her food more carefully but I hate her being so close to 400

I asked the vet if I should switch to the dry W/D which worked so well for her with the canned. He didn't care. I'm stuck
Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Founding Member

I have noticed with kibbles or dry food for jesse it stayed in her system longer which resulted in higher fasting

a food change from wet to dry may change the curve entirely

if you want to try the other food and you think it will have better results go wright ahead

as you know raising the dose on one number can be problematic like you said you got that 190 food has to settle also it takes time for the body to adjust.

yes we all feel the same way on higher numbers she may not be high for that long just at fasting

jesse has thrown me some 350s lately but she is not there for very long and i believe there maybe a digestive issue so we ride it out for a few days

dose for what you feel comfortable with as far as low numbers when i am gone i let jesse run higher when i am home i try for tighter regulation
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Founding Member

thanks Jesse girl. Maybe I'll try a partial curve on Saturday so I have more of a comfort level. I just don't have enough to go on do I? ugh
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM

I have found with Abby that even minor food changes take a while to regulate... let alone a large one... can from kibble. When I switched her food to Thrive... i thought... Wow that is great, and it didn't go so well (did some tweaking), and realize that it is good food, but lost my way somewhere along the way.

I think it takes a good several days at the minimum to start seeing new trends and then to make a change. Patience...ugh!!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
I have found with Abby that even minor food changes take a while to regulate... let alone a large one... can from kibble. When I switched her food to Thrive... i thought... Wow that is great, and it didn't go so well (did some tweaking), and realize that it is good food, but lost my way somewhere along the way.

I think it takes a good several days at the minimum to start seeing new trends and then to make a change. Patience...ugh!!
Barb you are so right about the food. I got Jenny to eat the dry WD last night and her morning fasting was 100 points lower than when she eats the Nutro.

I have 2 more days to keep her eating this before I leave her alone with my husband again. wish us luck!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Founding Member

I'm wondering if Jenny's pickiness on the dry food isn't due to a sore tooth or something. She still won't eat the canned so who knows.

I've been drenching her dry WD in chicken broth and adding some shredded cheese to get her to eat it. If I move at all she wanders over to see if I have something better so I have to stand like a statue until she is done eating.

Still giving her 2 1/2 units with readings from 195 to 350. I leave Wed morning till Sunday afternoon. I guess we will see if she has been playing me as usual and eats just fine for my husband.

I did have success getting blood from her sensitive side of her lip twice. Now that she is on to me she isn't letting me do it anymore. She has been so docile for the blood testing. Her lip just looks so sore I can't bring myself to do a curve.

Will have to wait to take her to the vet till I get back. My husband is just relieved that she survived and didn't have to go for an emergency vet visit last time. He feels like he can handle anything now and that if she does get sick it won't be his fault. I'd never blame him but apparently he was feeling the pressure. silly man