Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Help with Mochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchow022 View Post
Mochiís blood sugar is dropping tremendously again..it was at 93 during nadir time and I thought things were ok.
I took his blood sugar again two hours after insulin and dinner and it dropped to 67...I gave him a tiny bit of food and chicken (hoping that it will work this time) and checked an hour later and it dropped to 53. I msged my vet and my vet tech friend and my vet tech friend got back to me and told me to feed him a bit of fruit. I am so stressed again because I thought taking out 0.5 units helped.

Should I reduce the insulin even more?? My vet tech friend also told me that he should use caninsulin instead of humilin because humlin doesnít seem to work well on him. Has anyone made that change before?
With him dropping to 53, he is definitely getting too much insulin. I would be intervening with a small dab of Karo Syrup and reduce his insulin.

Iím no vet, but it would seem to me that his lower triglycerides are causing a need for less insulin. The normal starting dose for a 12lb dog would be 2 units of NPH twice daily. Maybe drop down by 1 unit and monitor. You may have to go even lower.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 05-22-2018, 05:16 AM

I'd be wary of switching to Caninsulin because it has the faster acting component, which might drop him even lower.
I'd cut back on the Humulin and keep tweaking that until lows are better.
5 units might just be too much.

Does his food have enough carbs?

What are his fasting numbers? How far does he drop to get to 67 & 53?
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Last edited by Raysaint; 05-22-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Thank you Raysaint and Mike. I dropped his insulin by another 0.5 unit today.
I have to get to work in the afternoon because I took half day off to monitor him.

Yesterday I wasnít able to take his fasting number because I wasnít home. On Saturday his fasting numbers were high and then middle of the day number was 100. My vet tech friend thinks that humilin N isnít suiting mochi and suggests that caninsulin is better. My vet is very stubborn and he doesnít like to listen to what I have to say so he would always say to just wait til he makes the call. He also suggested I dont change the dose until I see consistent numbers that are low in the next few days..but isnít that kind of dangerous If heís constantly dropping into hypo? :S

Iíll have to keep taking random numbers for the next few days until I can do a full curve on him on the weekend.
On 5 units of HumilinN
Old 06-02-2018, 11:58 AM

Default Please help..I think i screwed things up with my dogs blood sugar

Mochi has been doing well the past week with his new dose of humilin N insulin. Since his triglycerides dropped down we had to decrease his insulin from 5.5 units to 4.5 units. He seemed to be doing good at that number but on Wednesday night when I checked his blood sugar it was at 63.

I started to panic again and I gave him some food and a tiny bit of apple. His sugar got back up to 160 so I was relieved again. I asked my vet tech friend what to do and she said maybe try decreasing a bit more insulin tomorrow. However my own vet said not to change it so often and donít decrease unless itís exactly the same numbers the next day. But I decided to decrease his insulin again and gave him just a bit more than 4 units. We gave him that dose on Thursday morning and night and when I came home to check his blood sugar at night it was up at 350...I waited again for another 45 minute and it dropped to 300. I asked my vet tech friend what to do again and she told me to give back his normal dose 4.5 units.

So yesterday morning I changed it back first thing. I took his blood sugar before I went to work 3 hours after insulin and it was at 230. I took a breather thinking it worked. But when I came home after work and tested him again 3 hours after supper and insulin he was at 440. I donít understand what happened..thinking maybe my dad didnít give him enough since my dad has bad eyes..

Continuing with the same 4.5 units this morning again...I just checked his blood sugar exactly 6 hours after insulin. Itís bad..again itís around the same number at 440..

Did I screw everything up by changing his dose back and forth?? I donít understand why itís gotten so high just a day after and now it wonít go back down...
On 5 units of HumilinN
Old 06-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Please help..I think i screwed things up with my dogs blood sugar

I am sure mochi will settle back down as always . I have run into many out of whack patterns with jesse but she always returns to normal but i am not really sure what that is but shes happy
Old 06-04-2018, 10:12 AM

Insulin doses, for humans and dogs, shouldn't be changed based on one number. That's one of the first rules of diabetes. Numbers over a period of time is your basis.
Diabetes is not like a machine with the same numbers every day. There will be a low now and then, but no need to panic. If I panicked every time my own sugar went low, I'd be changing doses a few times a week.
Riley's had 3 or 4 readings of 5.7 (100) in the last few days, I welcome that. My vet told me blood sugar like that, as low as 4.0, is normal for non diabetics.
If it's his morning fasting, I prepare his food as normal. If it's later in the day, maybe after his walk, I give him 3 or 4 small pieces of dehydrated sweet potato until supper.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Switching insulin

Hi everyone,

For the past couple of months Mochiís blood sugar seemed to be pretty stable and consistent. Closer to the lower side but nothing crazy low. He has been on Humilin N since he was diagnosed. I heard from the vet tech that use to work at my vet that they ran out of vetsulin when Mochi was first diagnosed...so they had to give him what they had which was Humilin N.

Iíve been talking to two different vets because my regular vet only works twice a week now. The new vet that Iíve been talking to is wanting me to switch his insulin to vetsulin. She thinks that Humilin N isnít working too well on Mochi since he hasnít been very regulated for long. I wanted to give Humilin N another shot since my regular vet told me not to switch. Today was the first day with a crazy spike. His nadir was at 380 and a couple hours later itís at 470..

Has anyone switched insulinís to vetsulin and then had smooth sailing? Iím considering switching but Iím afraid to.
On 5 units of HumilinN
Old 07-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Switching insulin

The problem is there are always going to be times when you get that high day or two because insulin is just a part of the equation. Switching will not change that. After all you have been through, I wouldnít chance starting over because it could set Mochi back. There is something to be said for stable and consistent.

Remember vets sell vetsulin, so no wonder they push it.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:51 PM

amydunn is correct. You just said his numbers have been fairly good and stable.
Why would you want to change any of the components of your system?
With diabetes, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.
Vets make money selling vetsulin, it gives them a bit of bias towards those products.
We all go thru hell trying to find the right combination of components that will regulate our dogs. Once you're on to something good, the body is letting you know that's what works. Changing just one thing means the body has to re-adapt to something new now, and who knows how that will happen.
Having a day or two here and there of abnormal numbers is completely normal with diabetes. No diabetic has good or consistent numbers day in and day out. It's not that scientific.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:17 PM

Why fix it, if it's not broken?
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.