Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Hey Craig
The only receipts I kept were from the surgery- all the rest I shredded ASAP
oterwise I would have a book shelf of receipts.

Hope the pressures stay low until surgery date- you've been to this rodeo before you know what to do.

Here is hoping your Am and PM drop routine is decreased significantly!

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 AM

Once when I wanted to impress upon my husband how much I was taking care of Ruby's medical bills myself, I told him how much I had spent thus far.....It did not have the desired affect!!

Now I just keep it to myself and actually don't keep track.

I am so happy though that now all of the hard work and investment is paying off. Ruby has really been having some good days, felling strong, bouncing up and down off the couch, searching for and chewing on her toys.

Tara
Old 04-28-2012, 05:20 AM

Good luck as you move forward with this, Craig.

Thanks for sharing the link, quite interesting.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Looks like Annie thinks we have too much spare money.

We've noticed that she is licking / cleaning herself more often than usual the past few days, and had a pee accident Saturday. Thinking a possible UTI? Just made an appointment with her regular vet (spreading the $$ between the eye vet and regular vet) for later this morning to get it checked.

Question: her BGs haven't been outrageous, mostly in the mid 100s to mid 200s. Does a UTI always come with higher BGs?

The eye vet wanted Annie to have a "blood workup" prior to the glaucoma surgery, so we will get this done at this time too.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Hey Craig-Holli and I had this conversation about a month and a half ago regarding the uti's and higher bg's and symptoms. When Nibbles got his very 1st one in early March, there were no symptoms at 1st. Bg's were very good but his pee smelled awful, like garlic and dark. I thought it was the new vitamin I gave him, but then he started peeing more frequently so of course it happened on a friday night so we got some urinalysis sticks and tested his pee. Low and behold the square for blood in the urine was the darkest block so we read the results to the vet monday morning and he called in some cipro to cvs for us. All the while his bg's were normal-until the last day or 2 of the uti, they were a little higher.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Question: her BGs haven't been outrageous, mostly in the mid 100s to mid 200s. Does a UTI always come with higher BGs?
Abby had a UTI last summer, and BG levels were good (in fact better than they were later, when she didn't have one). It may depend on how bad the infection is, whether or not it affects BG.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks Debbie and Barb,
The "pond" we discovered near the door looked very clear, but was on a dark tiled area, so not sure. I don't think the paper towels had much of a color either. Didn't do the smell test. Guess I'll know this afternoon.

We had a little money set aside to paint the house (has needed painting for at least three years), but looks like the vets will be painting their vacation villas instead!. Just joking, they earn their money.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

So what you're saying is that Annie wants to dip into your beer fund?

Mildred once had a UTI, glucose level fine.

At least her vet visit is something that needs to be done anyway, to get that preop bloodwork.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM

Aw..poor Craig! Just when you thought you might get a little ahead! LOL I got to thinking same thing...then the cat looks funny...and I can see ANOTHER vet visit in the near future...*sigh* At least I like them there...
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM

At least the test came back negative for a UTI. The "thought" is that it could be allergies so gave Annie a Benadryl with dinner, and no licking this evening.