Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Allergy season must be kicking up a notch around here regardless of the cooler weather...I just now discovered Hank has some scabby hot spots on his back end. Here we go again. So feel for you, Craig!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Good to hear the Benadryl helped!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Founding Member

that is good news Craig! I know allergies are awful this year. Judi
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 AM

Allergies are horrible this season! I started doing allergy shots - the dogs must have found out because now when they go through their sneezing fits in the a.m. they tell me THEY want allergy shots too. Sigh. There's another article for Hank's newsletter...
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Allergies are better than uti, better for the Beer fund. Glad it was only allergies.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 AM

In case some of you may not have read Cleo's thread, the new vet recommended Wet Wipes MalAcetic by Derma Pet. They are pre moistened wipes and dosed with 2% acetic acid and 2% boric acid.

The vet personally uses them on the dog that she adopted. She has severe allergies and her previous owner was ready to take her to the shelter (&?%?) as she could no longer handle the severe skin infections.

We had a bit of a heat wave in March and Cleo was licking incessantly, I used those wipes on her paws, in between the paws and all over her body and it calmed her right down. I'm sure I'll get some use again this summer.

http://www.amazon.com/DermaPet-Malac.../dp/B0002WPTI4

Wow, I paid $37.95 plus tax. Hope it works as well for any of you who tries them

I also read about another wipe
http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/mal-a-ket-wipes
and it seems to be getting better reviews. When I run out, I may consider those as well

Louise

Last edited by buddingartist; 05-01-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
Allergies are horrible this season! I started doing allergy shots - the dogs must have found out because now when they go through their sneezing fits in the a.m. they tell me THEY want allergy shots too. Sigh. There's another article for Hank's newsletter...
Hank's newsletter? Like I don't have enough on my plate...now I'll end up editing a newsletter! *looks at the dog and notices a gleam in his eye* Uh oh!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Hey Craig,
I just got to thinking this morning. Benadryl has a warning for patients with glaucoma. I don't know what the effect is but thought I'd bring it up. Is Benadryl ok with the ophthalmologist?
Patty

Last edited by Patty; 05-01-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks patty, I'll check before giving another!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Administrator

This article suggests that in humans the risk of Benedryl, etc. depends on the type of glaucoma - and I've never seen a reference to what kind of glaucoma dogs generally have.

http://www.southlandeyeclinic.com/FAQ/glaucoma.html

http://www.pfizer.com/files/products/uspi_benadryl.pdf

Quote:

Antihistamines should be used with considerable caution in patients with narrow-angle glaucoma, stenosing
peptic ulcer, pyloroduodenal obstruction, symptomatic prostatic hypertrophy, or bladder-neck obstruction
http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/glaucoma.htm

No mention that I could find in a quick scan about whether glaucoma in dogs is distinguished by type.

Natalie