Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Roxy the Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post

Dogs probably pickup and eat worse things from their walks. I had a dog years ago that feasted on asphalt pavement! The edge of the street was crumbling, and if we would stop walking for just a second, he would pickup some pavement.

Craig
When Roxy was a puppy she ate EVERYTHING.. And I mean everything!! Lol she ate dry wall, hardwood flooring.. When we were house breaking her my house would take her to work ( motorcycle shop) she would try to have a Hayday there hahaha...

The vet told me to put her on w/d she wouldn't eat ANYTHING for 3 months... The dog went from 110 pounds ( I know really over weight) down to 75lbs.

She will kinda eat the gel w/d... She loves the chicken and stew... She still won't eat hard food. She use to only eat hard food so I don't know why she still refuses to eat it.

I get the chicken and stew for a GREAT price at petsmart.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Former Member

Craig mentioned this :- Who knows if there is really any cancer concerns because of the lower life span of dogs.

Well according to the National Canine Cancer Foundation :- How Common is Cancer?
Cancer is common in pet animals and the incidence increases with age. Cancer accounts for almost half of the deaths of pets over 10 years of age. Dogs get cancer at roughly the same rate as humans, while cats get fewer cancers.

Last edited by tonyr; 03-19-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:34 PM

Hey guys another quick questions.. For your fur babies that are going blind is there anything you are doing? Is there any drops?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:37 AM

I'm not sure that there are any drops that really make much difference although others may have more experience of trying these.

The main thing is probably to try to keep the blood sugar in a reasonably good zone as far as possible.

Also as a practical thing, I'd recommend starting to teach some directional words eg "this way" "step up / down" and "wait" or "steady" or something to get your dog to slow down or pause.

The most useful single word we use for Eddie is "Bump" as a warning that if he carries on he is going to collide with something. He has learnt to stop and wait for a bit more guidance from us when we say it and it has the great advantage that we can make him stop when he is too far away from us to grab his collar.

Antonia
Old 03-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I would have at least a consultation with an ophthalmologist. If there is a looming problem, there are drops that can help with things like dry eye. If it is in the budget, it helps to know where you are at and usually a consult is not too pricey.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM

Thanks guys. I will look into talking with an ophthalmologist for her eyes. Thanks
Old 04-01-2016, 05:04 AM

Hey guys another quick question. Is it ok to premake her insulin needles? I have a chance to go to Miami overnight and I trust my dog sitter. I just want to make everything easy her for her that I can,
Old 04-01-2016, 05:34 AM

We have a neighbor that feeds and gives Lily her shot when we are not home. I pre-fill her insulin syringe and leave it in the refrigerator with the plastic cap lightly placed on the needle. You should be OK.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 04-01-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
We have a neighbor that feeds and gives Lily her shot when we are not home. I pre-fill her insulin syringe and leave it in the refrigerator with the plastic cap lightly placed on the needle. You should be OK.

Thanks this will make it easier for her.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:25 AM

Well guys my roxy isn't doing to well this morning and I'm waiting for the vet to open at 8am.

I don't know what is wrong she seems like she is hurting. She is pacing won't stay still she is breathing and panting heavy. Her eyes won't open but slightly.

I don't know what to do for her . She won't eat.