Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Mollie's Story

Hi Kathy,

Your routine sounds almost exactly like mine for my dog. I also give him 4 units of humilin N. You should talk to your vet again or get a second opinion from another vet about lowering the dosage.
My vet says a chance for a somogyi effect is quite rare.
I think dropping a couple pounds won't be that bad for her. If you see her rib cage poking out than that means she's too skinny. My Mochi lost 4-5 pounds but it was a really good thing because he was over weight.

As for cataracts..like everyone said it's different for all dogs. My dog had cataracts kick in really fast. Took him two-three months to become completely blind. I had to get him cataract surgery because my boys nose is really bad from allergies. He was not adjusting well with walls and stairs as well and we have stairs in our front and back yard. So maybe give it a little time and see how Mollie adjusts to it.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 AM

I can't believe that it has been more than a month since I posted her results, after two weeks at 3.5 the vet raised her dose back to 4 units
Mollie's numbers have been very inconsistent, she has been sleeping more than usual so I have been spot checking and then did a full curve on Saturday. The urine test strips indicate negative for Ketones, glucose has been a little higher, the strip indicates about halfway between +100 (5.5) and +250 (14), by halfway I mean that the color is about 1/2 for each level. She is not drinking or urinating out of the ordinary. I have not attempted to switch food to kibble yet, I have 4 cases of w/d. The very high numbers are worrying me and she has had nothing under 250.
I just do not have the confidence yet to change her dosage but was hoping that you experienced forum members would give some advice. I have emailed the results to the vet this morning, it will probably be late afternoon before I hear back from her.
10 Aug
6 AM 359 Fasting 1/2 can of Hills w/d, 4 units of insulin 1/4 cup frozen green beans
12 PM 350
6 PM 501
11 Aug
6 AM 485 Fasting 1/2 can of Hills w/d, 4 units of insulin 1/4 cup frozen green beans
12 PM 388
6 PM 1961/2 can of Hills w/d, 1/4 cup of green beans and 4 units of insulin
12 AUG
6 AM 670 Fasting 1/2 can of Hills w/d, 4 units of insulin 1/4 cup
frozen green beans
8 AM 405
10 AM 435
12PM 343
2 PM 350
4 PM 249
6 PM 361 1/2 can of Hills w/d, 1/4 cup of green beans and 4 units of insulin
14 AUG
6 AM 498 Fasting 1/2 can of Hills w/d, 4 units of insulin 1/4 cup frozen green beans
12 PM 405
6 PM 528 1/2 can of Hills w/d, 1/4 cup of green beans and 4 units of insulin
Old 08-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Great job with the testing! Glad the switch to Novolin N is working.

Based on your curve on August 12, and her low point being 249, I would say that you could safely increase her insulin. She is a tiny dog, so I would only increase in .5 unit increments. You are getting close to the proper dose.

Wait and see what your vet says.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Numbers seem to be consistently higher than you want, so a small increase is part of the normal process of regulation. 1/2 a unit should be safe.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:26 AM

because your saying she's sleeping more lately and the glucose is up in the urine strips I would take her for blood tests. looks like an infection. her blood sugar seems to be going up eh. fasting numbers are back up in the 600,s. I wouldn't raise the insulin but get some uti and blood tests done. better to be on the safe side !!!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
because your saying she's sleeping more lately and the glucose is up in the urine strips I would take her for blood tests. looks like an infection. her blood sugar seems to be going up eh. fasting numbers are back up in the 600,s. I wouldn't raise the insulin but get some uti and blood tests done. better to be on the safe side !!!
The vet raised the insulin to 5 units no UTI or ketones then on 9/7 she was lethargic, drinking and urinating excessively
She is down to 9.5 pounds from 13, eating 1/2 can Hills w/d, 1/4 cup of green beans and 16 pieces of Hills w/d kibble, 6 units of Novolin 2X day

9/7
6 AM 301 Fasting
8 AM 192
10 AM 449
12 PM 596
2 PM 149
4 PM 528
6 PM 584

9/13
6 AM HI Fasting
8 AM 513
10 AM 690
12 PM 596
2 PM 481
4 PM 496
6 PM
We saw the vet at about 2PM, no UTI, no ketones insulin raised to 6 units, excessive drinking an d urinating ceased by the afternoon of the 14th

9/24
6 AM 503
8 AM 355
10 AM 247
12 PM 148
2 PM 114
4 PM 123
6 PM 229
8AM to 6PM are the lowest numbers that she has had consistently in a 12 hour period, is the 6 AM number OK considering the remainder are very good for her
Yesterday I just spot checked

9/27
6 AM 455
12 PM 98
6 PM 236

Tomorrow a full curve and I will send the results to the vet before we see the her Friday for her annual wellness check

It looks like we may be heading in the right direction but the hi morning fasting numbers just don't seem right.

Any comments greatly appreciated. I read everything every day and have learned so much from all of the great contributors.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:29 AM
Founding Member

those are some big swings in blood sugar. when i see that with jesse i reduce the dose

that first curve with 2 major drops and spikes seems quite unstable

definitely cant raise the dose anymore with the 98

to me sugar looks unstable . are you sure your meter is working correctly ?
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-27-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
those are some big swings in blood sugar. when i see that with jesse i reduce the dose

that first curve with 2 major drops and spikes seems quite unstable

definitely cant raise the dose anymore with the 98

to me sugar looks unstable . are you sure your meter is working correctly ?
I have checked the meter several times using the test solution and then took it to the vet during the last visit and the numbers were about 20 points different. Using the AlphaTrack2 to test.

Any ideas about what questions I should ask the vet on Friday? I did switch from Humulin to Novolin and she seems more unstable with the Novolin but everything that I have read indicates that they should be the same and of course the expense of the Humulin is 3 X that of the novolin.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:49 AM

As jesse girl says, big swings usually point to too much insulin. For such a tiny dog, increasing insulin by 1 full unit may have been too much and you may have gone beyond what she really needs.

Still do the curve, but I would talk to your vet about dropping back down. You definitely cannot increase insulin with the 98 reading yesterday.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 09-27-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Founding Member

500 or more point swings is difficult to manage. i was there with jesse early in her diagnosis . she was down to one unit at times for a 25 pound dog . for her i believe it was digestive issues affecting blood sugar

somethings not correct could be dosing , food . medical issue or a combination of them
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number